Thread: What happened with fskate.ru?

Tripping on the Podium

1 Not allowed!

What happened with fskate.ru?

It looks like the website fskate.ru closed today, December 1st.
    There is a message in russian, but I can't understand it correctly with Google Translator.

This database is so useful and one of the best that exist on figure skating for a specific country, it's really a big loss if they have to close it

Does somebody know more about their situation?

Alyona Kostornaya - skating off into the unknown.. Edwin's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    The message says they have been locked out from accreditation by ISU and FFKKR and are therefor unable to provide reports, information on athletes, etc.

Could mean anything, but protection of minors and under 13-year-olds springs into my mind. All FFKKR sanctioned events, children need a waiver from their parents for use of their personal data, and that waiver only covers FFKKR.

Lots of sporting events involving youths and young children have tightened rules and accreditation criteria, i.e. requiring waivers and certificates of good conduct of reporters and photographers etc.

Medalist

1 Not allowed!
    I'm not Russian, but the guy behind it was essentially mad over being denied media accreditation as Russian and ISU events... specifically Rostelecom Cup. I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but the guy behind it is a rather extreme liberal... like IIRC(and I may not be partly because I read everything through translation) cheering on the Ukrainian army extreme. I remember Maxim Trankov sending a hard message to him when he connected Bobrova's meldonium issues to using trainers from Mozer's group. https://twitter.com/xam_trankov/stat...38377468309505

It would be pretty easy to just keep updating the scores which is what most people want. The photos are nice but there are other people taking photos... most people don't go there for the photos.

Figure skating has become more popular and everyone wants their cut of the pie. This is really about a guy who built a valuable resource who feels jilted and thus throwing a hissy fit.

Personally, the website has been extremely valuable to me. And for Russia I think it was a good community building tool that they'll miss.

Alyona Kostornaya - skating off into the unknown.. Edwin's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    I'm not Russian, but the guy behind it was essentially mad over being denied media accreditation as Russian and ISU events... specifically Rostelecom Cup. I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but the guy behind it is a rather extreme liberal... like IIRC(and I may not be partly because I read everything through translation) cheering on the Ukrainian army extreme. I remember Maxim Trankov sending a hard message to him when he connected Bobrova's meldonium issues to using trainers from Mozer's group. https://twitter.com/xam_trankov/stat...38377468309505

It would be pretty easy to just keep updating the scores which is what most people want. The photos are nice but there are other people taking photos... most people don't go there for the photos.

Figure skating has become more popular and everyone wants their cut of the pie. This is really about a guy who built a valuable resource who feels jilted and thus throwing a hissy fit.

Personally, the website has been extremely valuable to me. And for Russia I think it was a good community building tool that they'll miss.
    So grab what you need off this site, because it might get closed all together if this row between the owner and FFKKR gets out of hand and a take down is ordered and executed. No doubt official bodies can find all kinds of breaches and will apply the full force of the law against him.

And indeed it seems now (female) figure skating's popularity soars to an all-time high, the official parties involved want to tighten their business up. (They should get rid of Rodina and her cronies a.s.a.p. too.)

Edit: seems like the entrance to all the sections are closed for now. Perhaps the wayback machine will open them?

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    If I were sports.ru, I'd create a replacement and make it url compatible with the old site... so to get to any one profile or competition I'd just have to substitute the domain.

So instead of https://fskate.ru/skaters/3391.html for Zagitova it would be something like fskate.sports.ru/skaters/3391.html (fskate could be anything).

I'm sure he'll either come to an agreement or someone will make a replacement. I just hope they keep it url compatible so old links can be kept somewhat useful and they keep the design somewhat clean.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    So grab what you need off this site, because it might get closed all together if this row between the owner and FFKKR gets out of hand and a take down is ordered and executed. No doubt official bodies can find all kinds of breaches and will apply the full force of the law against him.

And indeed it seems now (female) figure skating's popularity soars to an all-time high, the official parties involved want to tighten their business up. (They should get rid of Rodina and her cronies a.s.a.p. too.)

Edit: seems like the entrance to all the sections are closed for now. Perhaps the wayback machine will open them?
    I assume when you say skating has risen in popularity to an ll time high especially ladies ou are talking in Russia or japan. Certainly in the Western world it isn't as popular for whatever reason. Russia has a deep field where the defending world champion is an underdog to make the Russian team and it is forgone conlclusing the two time worldchamp and olympic silver medallist is not even in the picture. But elsewhere ie the US tough Bradie is on the cusp of greatness it seems andMariah is looking strong andhope with Ms.Liu they h aven't podiumed yet at worlds. And sometimes it is your personality. So far they aren't bad but they aren't very distinctive. Even their appearance and programs are pretty generic. I remember someone confusing Polina Edmunds with Bradie. And Mariah as a "cheap" version of Sasha Cohen which is not vey nice but I get their point. These ladies are trying their best but sometimes you can't explain why things or people catch on ie the Kardashians or whatever. I guess some have that je ne sais quoi.

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the translations/explanations!

Indeed, the website is especially interesting as a database, as media coverage is easy to find elsewhere.
    The question with children under 13 y.o. could be skipped by putting the personal informations about them only after their 13th anniversary... But the problem behind may be more complicated.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
    Whoa! I don't go onto GS for 24 hours to get caught up on the British Championships without hearing spoilers, and this is what I am greeted with!

I didn't realise that fskate.ru was a privately run website. I always thought it was run by the Federation in Russia.

Whilst I understand the owner's disgruntlement at not getting media accreditation, the database he has built up over the years is an invaluable resource to figure skating fans around the world.

Not only is fskate.ru invaluable for keeping Fan Fests for Russian skaters up to date, but it is also very useful when playing the Predictions Games. Hey, it was because of looking up past scores on fskate.ru that I put Zagitova at the top of my predictions for her very first international competition, when the majority of players were going for Tarusina or Sakamoto. And we all know what happened then.

So, it would be a major loss to the sport if fskate.ru were to close.

But, this just highlights the need for the ISU to build their own comprehensive database of skaters and competition results. For years, we have been relying on the databases created by enthusiastic individuals like Dmitry Ikunin, Melanie Hoyt, Curran Oi, and Pål Dahle. And whilst they have all gone above and beyond the call of duty in putting together their brilliantly comprehensive databases, at the end of the day it shouldn't be down to individuals to provide this service. It should be the governing body of the sport that should be doing this.

The ISU really needs to get their act together and have a total overhaul of what is on their website. It needs to provide a proper fully-searchable database containing skaters bios; season calendars; Entries / Results pages; and videos. And it needs to do it as soon as possible.

And in the meantime, I hope that the Russian Fed apologises to Dmitry Ikunin for the way he has been treated, and actually gives him some support in his sterling work.

CaroLiza_fan

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirti View Post
    Thanks for the translations/explanations!

Indeed, the website is especially interesting as a database, as media coverage is easy to find elsewhere.
    The question with children under 13 y.o. could be skipped by putting the personal informations about them only after their 13th anniversary... But the problem behind may be more complicated.
    This is why GS does not allow fan fests for children under 13.

As to getting stuff from wayback, I have already been doing it. It appears wayback webcrawled the site about 23 July 2019- which means data for the current season is not reachable for most skaters.

Another trouble is you need to know the url of a skater's bio to find them. However, Dmitry Ikunin numbered his bios consecutively. If somebody had some spare time to spend, a useful thing to do would to recreate his index by searching consecutively. Would anyone like to volunteer?

Fskate.ru was the only site that carried the data for internal Russian competitions on skater bios, since Melanie Hoyt ceased covering them on tracings.net.

Fan fests for Russian skaters will not be as complete in future