Is Clapping from the Audience Distracting? | Golden Skate

Is Clapping from the Audience Distracting?

randomfan

Record Breaker
So continuing on the recent trend on creating threats for relatively random/silly topics :)biggrin:), what do you guys all think about audience clapping? I specifically mean when they’re clapping on the beat during a skater’s program. Usually this is in the step sequence, but just about any part of the program where the music is on a somewhat upbeat tempo works too. But sometimes the audience claps even at times when the music doesn’t really call for clapping (usually Japanese audiences) which makes everything seem really awkward. Some examples of this are Mai Mihara’s 2017-19 FS step sequence and Sasha Trusova’s FS step sequence specifically at last week’s GPF. I think there were a couple of these moments for Yuzuru Hanyu too but I don’t remember which program it was.

The reason why I’m asking this (admittedly bizarre) question is because it’s seems that the clapping may get distracting at times. At 2017 GPF and Nationals, the audience was clapping for Wakaba as she was preparing for her 3S, and she ended up popping it both times. At 2019 Worlds, Satoko stepped out of her 3F-2T-2Lo when the audience suddenly started clapping for a section that was never clapped at before. Maybe these mistakes were not related to the clapping at all, but you’ve got to think it may have some effect on a skater’s concentration.

And then there’s the clapping during last week’s GPF - absolutely horrendous. For multiple programs, people were speeding up or slowing down spontaneously, clapping during the weirdest moments, and worst of all: lots of moments with unsynchronized clapping :shocked::disapp:.

So what do you guys think about clapping during the program? Totally alright? Absolutely distracting? Completely irrelevant? Do you remember any other examples like the ones I listed?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So continuing on the recent trend on creating threats for relatively random/silly topics :)biggrin:), what do you guys all think about audience clapping? I specifically mean when they’re clapping on the beat during a skater’s program. Usually this is in the step sequence, but just about any part of the program where the music is on a somewhat upbeat tempo works too. But sometimes the audience claps even at times when the music doesn’t really call for clapping (usually Japanese audiences) which makes everything seem really awkward. Some examples of this are Mai Mihara’s 2017-19 FS step sequence and Sasha Trusova’s FS step sequence specifically at last week’s GPF. I think there were a couple of these moments for Yuzuru Hanyu too but I don’t remember which program it was.

The reason why I’m asking this (admittedly bizarre) question is because it’s seems that the clapping may get distracting at times. At 2017 GPF and Nationals, the audience was clapping for Wakaba as she was preparing for her 3S, and she ended up popping it both times. At 2019 Worlds, Satoko stepped out of her 3F-2T-2Lo when the audience suddenly started clapping for a section that was never clapped at before. Maybe these mistakes were not related to the clapping at all, but you’ve got to think it may have some effect on a skater’s concentration.

And then there’s the clapping during last week’s GPF - absolutely horrendous. For multiple programs, people were speeding up or slowing down spontaneously, clapping during the weirdest moments, and worst of all: lots of moments with unsynchronized clapping :shocked::disapp:.

So what do you guys think about clapping during the program? Totally alright? Absolutely distracting? Completely irrelevant? Do you remember any other examples like the ones I listed?

As a skater I hate it. Most of the time they aren't on the beat and it's such a mess. It's fun for show programs for a bit of it, but not the whole program.

lizardlass

On the Ice
I also noticed how bad the clapping was at the GPF. Just really out of sync and hitting the wrong rhythm. I've attended two Skate America's, and I found the clapping weird and didn't much participate. (But I'm also an introvert.) At the 2008 SA, I remember that the clapping seemed to mess up Mirai Nagasu; she fell shortly after it started, and I wondered if their was a connection.

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I don't know about the skaters, but I often find myself yelling at the audience, STOP CLAPPING!!! So yes, I find it very distracting and often so off beat it's embarrassing. Even though I am not at the event, I'm still embarrassed for those who are there....and clapping!! :laugh:

pesto

On the Ice
I am not a clapper, except when the routine has finished, when obviously I applaud. I was in the audience at the GPF, and the off-rhythm clapping made me cringe and clench my toes, and distracted me from what I was watching. Horrible.

It's a kindly-intentioned mob thing, innit. A group of fans start it with the intention of encouraging the skater, so others feel they'll join in, to be part of the event, but for most types of music, it's quite hard for so many people to get in sync quickly enough, and the auditorium in a major event is large enough for echoes and speed of sound to exacerbate the feeling of offness.

yulikali

Rinkside
The clapping at GPF was admittedly bad. However, there are also instances when I think it could be encouraging to the skater and a huge sign of support. Especially Zhenya's FS at nationals last year comes to mind. So, I think it could be a good thing if done well. It also depends on the skater, of course. For some it might indeed be distracting.

Lota

Record Breaker
Depends on a lot of things - the skater, the program, the type of clapping, etc. Sometimes clapping during sad/melancholy/serious programs can get really distracting and take you out of the program. Other times I wish people would clap more, especially for weaker/less known skaters and teams when they're going for a more energetic program (it's difficult to skate as is but when you're trying to bring in the energy and the fun into your performance and the audience is just staring with dead eyes at you, I'm sure it can be quite daunting). Also, I feel like super-fans of some skater tend to go overboard at times, less so with clapping and more so with screaming. You like them. We get it. But is it perhaps, maybe, perchance possible to leave all that until the end... or at least after the elements?

Ultimately, it depends on the skater. I'm sure some skaters hate it and find it very distracting. Others can really feed off of the energy of the crowd, especially during more energetic moments (something like Daisuke Takahashi's "Blues for Klook" or Rika Hongo's "Riverdance" may come to mind). I as a viewer don't mind clapping in moderation. Unfortunately, not everyone knows what moderation (or clapping with rhythm) is :disapp:

ctake

Spectator
I appreciate any skaters chiming in. As an audience member I'm conflicted because I know that it rarely ends up sounding like it's on the beat, but not clapping creates a weird vibe for certain programs/music cuts. If a fun, high energy skater syncs up with a fun, high energy audience, the moment is amazing (like Jason Brown's Riverdance at nationals). But unless a skater is literally egging us on to clap, my default is to just clap when skaters land their jumps or when they need encouragement.

Speaking of Satoko, it's interesting how her hip hop SP is impossible to clap along to for the first half, and difficult/unnatural to clap along to for the second half. Intended or not, it won't surprise me if she prefers the audience not to clap & potentially distract her. However, during her Rostelecom SP she seemed a bit thrown off by the 2lz error, to a point where ironically an audience clapping along to her music could have helped her get right back into the performance.

mikeko666

Final Flight
There has been some discussion among Japanese fans on Twitter whether the audience should not clap hands during a pattern dance in RD as Daisuke switching to ice dance next year has been generating interest in ice dance recently. Two former competitive ice dancers, Aru Tateno and Kanata Mori made their comments in their YouTube videos respectively. Although each person may have a different preference, neither of them minded hand clapping at all when they were competing.

Aru: https://youtu.be/QXij8ZuGo7o
He said he will ask this question to some ice dancers after this season is over.

Kanata (left) and Kento Kajita (former single skater): https://youtu.be/TWBkK6BJCbI

frida80

Record Breaker
The clapping at GPF was admittedly bad. However, there are also instances when I think it could be encouraging to the skater and a huge sign of support. Especially Zhenya's FS at nationals last year comes to mind. So, I think it could be a good thing if done well. It also depends on the skater, of course. For some it might indeed be distracting.
Zhenya encouraged the crowd to do that during her step sequence after the jumps were over.

I like clapping because it’s encouraging. However only during step sequences. During jumps is inappropriate.

Ross74

Medalist
The GPF clapping that really got to me was during S/K's RD Singing in the Rain.. I hadn't paid much attention until then, but that was so off-beat and so loud and jarring, I couldn't hear the beats in the music.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like the encouragement and that it shows that the audience is engaged. It can be a little annoying though when it's not on the beat!

RobinA

On the Ice
As a non-skater audience member and TV watcher, I hate it. I don't mind it if somebody is falling all over the ice and it's done as encouragement. I also don't mind it if it's a burst of enthusiasm towards the end of a super program that the person/couple is about to win or do much better than expected. Shen/Zhou at the end of their gold winning 2003 Worlds performance when she was supposedly hurt was a deafening roar from a totally stoked audience. (Now I gotta go watch that for the millionth time.) Otherwise, sitting there clapping to the music is for concerts, not figure skating.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I can imagine that it can be highly distracting when the crowd is ridiculously off beat like at the GPF. However, through the years, I've seen skaters "ask" the crowd to clap during a performance. More so in the pro competitions/shows, but also on occasion before a footwork section in a competitive program. Ryan Bradley comes to mind as being one who always asked the crowd to participate as it "pumped him up". So, idk.

But for me the GPF clapping was horrendous and I focused more on the off beat, even worse than regular "white boy rhythm", clapping than I did the skating.

Roo87

Medalist
I hate all clapping, even during a music performance (unless initiated by the performer).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I can imagine that it can be highly distracting when the crowd is ridiculously off beat like at the GPF. However, through the years, I've seen skaters "ask" the crowd to clap during a performance. More so in the pro competitions/shows, but also on occasion before a footwork section in a competitive program. Ryan Bradley comes to mind as being one who always asked the crowd to participate as it "pumped him up". So, idk.

But for me the GPF clapping was horrendous and I focused more on the off beat, even worse than regular "white boy rhythm", clapping than I did the skating.

If the skater asks, that's an entirely different story and is usually during a show program. I've done the same in the past.

Competition, no.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
As a skater I hate it. Most of the time they aren't on the beat and it's such a mess. It's fun for show programs for a bit of it, but not the whole program.

Agreed. They clap at the wrong times and often off-beat. I’m sure elite skaters can tune it out but for me it’s distracting unless I’m really into a program and don’t care how the audience is reacting.