Article on the Physics of Ice Skating | Golden Skate

Article on the Physics of Ice Skating

Here is a article from Nature magazine on the microscopic properties of the boundary between the skater's blade and the ice, which makes ice skating possible. It is not as simple as was formerly supposed.

(Now we are waiting for a microscopic measuring device for under-rotations and edge calls.)

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03833-5

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Thanks for posting! Interesting stuff.

It's good to know that pressure melting doesn't play that big a part. I had a problem in a chemistry class about the lower limit of how cold it could be in order for a skater of a certain weight to be able to skate... a certain weight that was twice mine, and it wasn't an extremely low temperature, which got me scared about whether or not I'd be able to skate on frozen ponds in Siberia if and when I get to visit! :laugh:

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Nice, plus it is for free, I won't have to rely on a future article in the French edition of Scientific American...

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Here is a article from Nature magazine on the microscopic properties of the boundary between the skater's blade and the ice, which makes ice skating possible. It is not as simple as was formerly supposed.

(Now we are waiting for a microscopic measuring device for under-rotations and edge calls.)

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03833-5

Thanks, and probably of benefit to speed skaters more than figure skaters. Our federation NED has conducted scientific studies in speed skating and reaped benefits of their knowledge for a couple of seasons. But in the end, it was up to the athletes again.

The study into correctly calling under rotations and edges will only start when there is a sufficient political majority in favour, as the tech is probably going to be expensive. When the quads revolution fizzles out there probably won't that great an incentive anymore. Most men fall on their quads and Trusova will grow out of them, LOL.