Sasha could have been a 3-time Nats Champion and 3-time World medalist | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Sasha could have been a 3-time Nats Champion and 3-time World medalist

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
lavender said:
Scott doesn't really marvel at it. He thinks Michelle and a few others should be skating in those old pro shows. I'm sure by now he's shocked that Michelle is still soo popular. I think he expected the it to fade since he made a comment like that some time ago.

Scott's point of view comes from what he's experienced. In his mind, only true individual expression can come from being a pro skater. Obviously his passion is for pro skating. He admitted in an interview that while the Olympic Gold medal was great, he felt disappointed because he won with a flawed program. I'm sure he couldn't wait to get out of the eligible ranks. His desire to form his own company was probably burning even then. Many followed Scott after their requisite one turn at the Olympics. Kristi said she never considered staying in for two more years for Lillihamer because she hated the pressure of skating in front of the judges. (Ironically the face of figure skating probably would not have hit the boom it did. I doubt Harding's cohorts would have targeted Kristi AND Nancy. And I have no doubt that Kristi would have won again - given Oksana's technical content).

So I can imagine Scott's utter amazement at Michelle's love of eligible skating. It goes against the grain of his philosophy. He probably can't understand anyone enjoying the pressure of competition to that extent. His claim that Michelle was killing pro skating was just sour grapes from a businessman. He owns SOI, and I'm sure would probably would have paid just about anything over the last 6 years to have her on that tour.

I do think he has admiration for anyone that can stay at the top of the game that long. But it doesn't serve his purposes, so he poo-poos it.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Skate Sandee said:
I do think he has admiration for anyone that can stay at the top of the game that long. But it doesn't serve his purposes, so he poo-poos it.

That about sums up the Scott. I remembered also read somewhere that Scott said there are a lot of trainning (express, presentation wise) needed for current newly retired eligible skaters to skate in SOI. The only one can meshed in right way is Michelle. That's a compliment to Kwan.

Scott's in the business of working at what he loves and without a doubt for money.

He will hire anyone with a big medal and a worldwide name. That's the way it is in business. Scott knows. I don't blame. Kwan would put SOI over the top.

Joe

gezando

Final Flight
:agree: :)
mzheng said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Too funny.

That's reminds me that no wonder the Sasha's uber young fans at another board pray for MK fall at National. lol.

Wishing ill towards the competitors of thier favorite seems to be a tradition. Right before US nationals 2001, an uber Cohen fan Sashagold (who used to post at some earlier versions of GS) wished both Michelle and Sarah to "fall and break something" :rofl: And currently another uber Cohen fan here at GS is wishing Jenny Kirk off the podium. Skategods always have the last say in these matters

R.D.

Record Breaker
gezando said:
:agree: :)

Wishing ill towards the competitors of thier favorite seems to be a tradition. Right before US nationals 2001, an uber Cohen fan Sashagold (who used to post at some earlier versions of GS) wished both Michelle and Sarah to "fall and break something" :rofl:

Yes, but only some of the real uber-fans do this. I'm sure the casual Kwan or Cohen fan doesn't wish ill on her competitors, but for the favorite to do her best.

And currently another uber Cohen fan here at GS is wishing Jenny Kirk off the podium. Skategods always have the last say in these matters

:laugh: :rofl: ;)

S

SkateFan4Life

apache88 said:
Think about this. Had Michelle retired after SLC, Sasha could have been a 3-time Nats champion. It just got me thinking if this is the main contributing factor to the animosity of some Sasha fans have towards Michelle. I do strongly feel Sasha is too much of a raw talent not to win a major competition. Unfortunately, she doesn't have yet what it takes to win it. Too bad because this is a sport not beauty contest or talents scouting contest.

Michelle has been lambasted left, right, centre for playing it safe and still winning. Here is the thing, if Michelle had retired after SLC, Sasha could have won 3 Nats with those flawed programs each of which had at least one or 2 falls. Now, would she be lambasted for presenting flawed programs and still winning? I have too much time on my hands. This is just for thoughts. :)

*Edited to delete one-time world champion. A mistake.

This is absolute nonsense. Sasha Cohen is not a National Champion because she cannot skate two clean programs, plain and simple. She's her own worst enemy, and her own errors take her out of the running every time. It is ridiculous for anybody to "blame" Michelle Kwan over the fact that Cohen wins silver and not gold. Duh! :sheesh: :sheesh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
This is absolute nonsense. Sasha Cohen is not a National Champion because she cannot skate two clean programs, plain and simple. She's her own worst enemy, and her own errors take her out of the running every time. It is ridiculous for anybody to "blame" Michelle Kwan over the fact that Cohen wins silver and not gold. Duh! :sheesh: :sheesh:

But, you see, the reason she can't be National Champion making mistakes is BECAUSE of Kwan. She hardly makes a mistake if any. I really think that if you take out Kwan, Cohen could win even with a fall or two. The rest of the field (besides Kimmie) simply isn't good enough.

heyang

Record Breaker
Sasha's problem is that she came out of the gate fast by winning a controversial silver medal at her 1st Nationals and has been admired for the line and beauty of her skating. She was hailed by all as the next great champion. Unfortunately, I think the hype and her own ambitions have hindered her performances when the medal is within reach at every major competition. Also, due to the hype, she may have failed to look within herself instead of pointing the finger at others - this may be a factor of age. Hopefully, she is starting to get the picture.

In the same way, Michelle tightens up during the Olympics due to her desire for the ultimate prize. While her Oly performances have been very good on a technical skating measure, they lack the freedom of her usual expression. Thus, the joyous skates of Tara & Sarah (without the ultimate pressure of expectation) beat hers.

I would love to see all the top ladies perform their ultimate performances at the same competition and see what happens then!!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I still say that if they want to win, all they have to do is skate better than the others. Why anyone thinks Michelle or anyone else should quit is nonsense. As long as they keep doing as well, they have my vote. That's life. To me, it is just stupid to say anyone should win with flawed programs. And of course Michelle also has some flawed programs. She's human too. I hope she wins everything she enters. The best competitions are when everyone skates well and it is decided on their merit. Well, I guess that's in the mind of the beholder because we have judges that are really flawed. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

lavender

Record Breaker
So I can imagine Scott's utter amazement at Michelle's love of eligible skating. It goes against the grain of his philosophy. He probably can't understand anyone enjoying the pressure of competition to that extent. His claim that Michelle was killing pro skating was just sour grapes from a businessman. He owns SOI, and I'm sure would probably would have paid just about anything over the last 6 years to have her on that tour.

He does have sour grapes. He has sour grapes too because through it all Michelle is still that one of all the skaters (including Tara and Sarah) that can really pull in some new money.

Scott needs to learn that everyone is different. Does he expect everyone to be like him.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
But, you see, the reason she can't be National Champion making mistakes is BECAUSE of Kwan. She hardly makes a mistake if any. I really think that if you take out Kwan, Cohen could win even with a fall or two. The rest of the field (besides Kimmie) simply isn't good enough.
True. Nancy Kerrigan in 1993 and Nicole Bobek in 1995 won their U.S. National Titles with mistakes. However, a true champion rises to the occasion and Cohen has not done that yet.

soogar

Record Breaker
Ogre Mage said:
True. Nancy Kerrigan in 1993 and Nicole Bobek in 1995 won their U.S. National Titles with mistakes. However, a true champion rises to the occasion and Cohen has not done that yet.

Most National champions had mistakes in their programs. I remember Jill Trenary winning with mistakes as well and I'm sure there were plenty before her. I wouldn't put Nancy Kerrigan and Nicole Bobek in the "true champion" category (and no.. one clean LP from NK at the Olympics does not a "true champion" make). Unfortunately Sasha has the bad luck of competing against a skater who takes Nationals as seriously as the Olympics and Worlds. Maybe it would be best for Sasha to forget about winning a National title and just concentrate on international results. She might pull a Kristi and win Worlds before she wins Nationals.

mzheng

Record Breaker
soogar said:
Maybe it would be best for Sasha to forget about winning a National title and just concentrate on international results. She might pull a Kristi and win Worlds before she wins Nationals.
Yes. But I don't think it will happen this year. She has too much ground need to recover as of now.

But, IMO, her problem still is too much concern of what her competetors doing.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
soogar said:
Most National champions had mistakes in their programs. I remember Jill Trenary winning with mistakes as well and I'm sure there were plenty before her. I wouldn't put Nancy Kerrigan and Nicole Bobek in the "true champion" category.
I would not put them in that category either.

With regards to Sasha, I think she will finish somewhere between 2nd and 5th in Moscow.

Last edited:
I don't think Scott Hamilton was particularly blaming Michelle for anything. He was speaking about the decline of popularity of professional skating, and he mentioned that one factor is the new economic reality that allows amateur champions like Michelle to extend their eligible careers.

So professional skating suffers because they cannot count on the infusion of new talent every four years.

I don't find that particularly objectionable.

But about the topic of this thread, I really think it is kind of pointless to speculate on what might have happened. In every contest, the second place finisher ends up thinking, "Gee, if so-and-so had only got hit by a bus yesterday, I would have won first place. But no-o-o-o-o-o!"

Mathman

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
Having talent does not translate into capability to win the big ones. This is what I think some fans may not understand...it's toughness, both physically and mentally. Being able to do it in practice and exhibition is one...being able to do it in competition is one thing. And that's why the Big Three (SA, IS, MK) are so far ahead of Cohen. You can have all the talent in the world but if you haven't got the nerves, it's no good.

ITA. Katarina Witt was an example of this. She often didn't have the best moves, but she was one of the toughest competitors around. She had nerves of steel!

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Grgranny said:
I still say that if they want to win, all they have to do is skate better than the others. Why anyone thinks Michelle or anyone else should quit is nonsense. As long as they keep doing as well, they have my vote. That's life. To me, it is just stupid to say anyone should win with flawed programs. And of course Michelle also has some flawed programs. She's human too. I hope she wins everything she enters. The best competitions are when everyone skates well and it is decided on their merit. Well, I guess that's in the mind of the beholder because we have judges that are really flawed. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Unfortunately, GrGranny, in a competition like that, the judges might go with reputation :rofl:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
millie said:
All these ifs and excuses, the point is that she didn't win and no ifs,ands or buts about it.

Neither have your favorites, so I really don't know what you're griping about.

Maybe when Sasha or Joannie win worlds, then you can gloat. But until then...don't quit your day job.