Pray for Australia | Golden Skate

Pray for Australia

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If you will pray, pray for rain.

Because that is all that will stop this now.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Rain will wash the topsoil away, dry wind gales will blow the topsoil away, leaving barren, infertile ground behind, and the long hot, dry summer isn't even halfway yet.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:pray:

I'm just thankful the New Year's Eve fireworks went off without a hitch.

Yes, very fortunately the entirely foreseeable fire they started here in Adelaide was only a brush fire and the CFS was able to get it under control quickly, unlike most of the nightmares blazes they've been dealing with (I don't recommend googling Kangaroo Island right now).

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, very fortunately the entirely foreseeable fire they started here in Adelaide was only a brush fire and the CFS was able to get it under control quickly, unlike most of the nightmares blazes they've been dealing with (I don't recommend googling Kangaroo Island right now).

Yeah, the sattalite pics are scary enough....

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My heart is breaking every night when I see the Australia fires on our news. So very scary. Rain, please come. karne , I believe you have a family member who is a firefighter. Praying for him and the safety of all the others as well -- and just everyone, including the wildlife.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My heart is breaking every night when I see the Australia fires on our news. So very scary. Rain, please come. karneI believe you have a family member who is a firefighter. Praying for him and the safety of all the others as well -- and just everyone, including the wildlife.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Rain will wash the topsoil away, dry wind gales will blow the topsoil away, leaving barren, infertile ground behind, and the long hot, dry summer isn't even halfway yet.

The wind was already doing a number on the topsoil. But at the moment, getting the fires out is the most important thing. We desperately need rain, especially now that the bigger fires are able to generate their own weather and their own dry thunderstorms.

But no good rain is forecast until April...

I'm just thankful the New Year's Eve fireworks went off without a hitch.

Many Australians are disgusted they even went ahead. It was a total fire ban in most places and should not have happened. The Adelaide ones even started a fire of their own, proving that it was dumb and foolish. Sydney's council cared more about their image in the eyes of the world than they did about anything else. No wonder it's taken so long for the rest of the world to pay attention to the severity of what's going on. They must have seen the fireworks and gone "well it can't be that bad"....it is!

karneI believe you have a family member who is a firefighter. Praying for him and the safety of all the others as well -- and just everyone, including the wildlife.

Yes. He is out west in the mountains, fighting to stop one of the large ones from getting into the fuel-laden alpine country. He, like his crewmates, is so very, very tired, mentally and physically.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The wind was already doing a number on the topsoil. But at the moment, getting the fires out is the most important thing. We desperately need rain, especially now that the bigger fires are able to generate their own weather and their own dry thunderstorms.

But no good rain is forecast until April...

That's not good. At all.

Many Australians are disgusted they even went ahead. It was a total fire ban in most places and should not have happened. The Adelaide ones even started a fire of their own, proving that it was dumb and foolish. Sydney's council cared more about their image in the eyes of the world than they did about anything else. No wonder it's taken so long for the rest of the world to pay attention to the severity of what's going on. They must have seen the fireworks and gone "well it can't be that bad"....it is!

That is interesting to hear. Because the news over here was reporting that people were against the fireworks going ahead because of the cost, and that the money would be better spent on fighting the fires. And we were going "do these people not have any wit? Big events like this don't get paid for in the last week or so before the event - the money would have been spent months ago!"

Not once did the reports mention any other reason why the fireworks should not go ahead.

But, now that you mention that the displays could actually cause more fires, it has become obvious that this would be main reason why people would be against the displays going ahead. So, why did the media not even mention this, and instead only talked about the money?!

Yes. He is out west in the mountains, fighting to stop one of the large ones from getting into the fuel-laden alpine country. He, like his crewmates, is so very, very tired, mentally and physically.

I too wish him and all his colleagues all the best. It's a tough job at the best of times, but these are certainly the worst of times.

CaroLiza_fan

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Seding thoughts and gratitude, more than words can say.

I am in an area as safe as any can be called at the minute, no fires or bush nearby, but the heat yesterday (45C) was horrible and the smoke is now coming from west, from east and from south which means that simple breathing is hazardous if you leave the house, (not that you can see much more than across thr road... it's like there IS a fire right on our doorstop). One relative from the coast is in hospital with pneumonia, his family have had to evacuate... and they can't come to us because the roads are blocked.

And summer has a long way to go.

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers, my country needs them...

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Seding thoughts and gratitude, more than words can say.

I am in an area as safe as any can be called at the minute, no fires or bush nearby, but the heat yesterday (45C) was horrible and the smoke is now coming from west, from east and from south which means that simple breathing is hazardous if you leave the house, (not that you can see much more than across thr road... it's like there IS a fire right on our doorstop). One relative from the coast is in hospital with pneumonia, his family have had to evacuate... and they can't come to us because the roads are blocked.

And summer has a long way to go.

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers, my country needs them...

Wishing your family all the best, TallyT. I saw on the Guardian liveblog that they're starting to be able to truck in supplies to fire-damaged area, including facemasks to filter the air; I hope you're able to get everything you need and that the power and water stay on for you all.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Prayers for all Australia, and especially for the brave folks fighting the fires :pray::pray::pray: and all GS members in Australia.

I am crying for the wildlife

Scout

Final Flight
:pray: for rain, for relatively cooler temperatures, for international aid & donations,...my thoughts and prayers are with everyone in Australia.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
God Bless Australia. May the wildfires end soon. My prayers are with you all including the wildlife & domestic animals.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You don't know how much it means that you're all thinking of us down here. I had to take an internet break for a few days just because of how stressful the constant stream of updates was getting, but I wanted to check in before heading off to Europe and it's so nice to see this. My city itself has barely been touched beyond smoke haze, but my state has lost three lives and over a hundred homes, one bushfire just to the north is still burning under control even though you'd think there was nothing left to burn there, Kangaroo Island has lost a third of its surface area to burns and half its koala population - one of the few colonies not infected with chlamydia, which was supposed to be the insurance policy for the species, and we're still cut off from Western Australia by road due to fires in the Nullarbor. Two other native species on KI may well have been made extinct by these fires. And we're one of the less affected states. Today is a catastrophic fire danger day and so any of the fires still burning may go out of control again under the influence of high winds and heat, and those conditions will be even worse along the east coast where they've already lost even more. Keep my country in your thoughts while I'm in the air and out of touch?

And if any of you would like to donate to help the recovery effort, as I know many people overseas have, just keep an eye out for scammers, okay? They've started clustering around this tragedy, as the blowflies of the human species always do, and I don't want anyone to get caught. Don't donate to people claiming to be relatives of deceased persons, or anyone who claims they'll pass on donations to a larger organisation; look for state Fire Services (RFS, CFS etc), high-profile wildlife organisations, the Australian Red Cross, and Indigenous organisations based in Victoria and NSW, and you'll know your donation will get to where it needs to go and be of real help. Oh, or that comedian, I've forgotten her name but she's a good egg.

And thanks again. See you on the other side of the world...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Emotions, compassion, empathy - these are things from the world of people, by definition.

And something you apparently lack.

What is being lost can never be replaced. Australia's ecosystem is unique. It's not just the koalas; many endangered species, which only became so because of humans, will suffer, perhaps irretrievably so.

Orlov

Medalist
And something you apparently lack.

Based on what did you draw such conclusions? Offend without any justification - a sign of marginality, a person of low level of development.

What is being lost can never be replaced. Australia's ecosystem is unique. It's not just the koalas; many endangered species, which only became so because of humans, will suffer, perhaps irretrievably so.

Any eco-system is unique. It's just words.

The belief of modern man in his omnipotence and fragility in eco-systems is pretty naive. For example, serious paleontologists are very skeptical about the impact theory of the extinction of dinosaurs. In paleontology, this is not mainstream. An asteroid impact could have been the trigger, but the that extinction was predetermined by the evolutionary development of the biosphere.

For extinctions not related to the internal development of the biosphere required a planetary scale external influences - the complete freezing of the planet (hypothesis Snowball Earth) or when half-Siberia turned into one continuously active volcano - Siberian Traps what caused Permian–Triassic extinction event

Do I need to explain that large forest fires are a commonplace thing that only in the last million years in Australia there were tens of thousands that fires ?

Species extinction is a natural process. Just as the number of people who have died is much greater than the number currently living, the number of extinct species is much greater than it is now. If koalas are destined to become extinct - they will die out and no mankind can help (moreover, it will be an unnatural thing).