Men's Free Skate | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate

diver chick

On the Ice
Of the top three Lamnbiel is far and away my choice and if he skates clean with his quad combo and a triple axel I will be very disappointed if he doesn't win!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Not that I actually expect him in a million years to WIN the thing, but I'd like to see him on the podium at least..... :biggrin:

diver chick

On the Ice
Last group warming up now! Brian up first, followed by Lambiel ;)

ETA Brian has a new costume that is quite nice!

Last edited:

diver chick

On the Ice
Okay, really really like Brians 1492 program, haven't seen it before now but based on what I have read he must have improved it drastically from earlier in the season.

Shaky landing on the quad combo and a couple of over rotated jumps so has definitely left the door open for Plushenko.

diver chick

On the Ice
Lambiel may have just handed the medal away :(

Started so well, clean triple axel, followed by clean quad not in combination, then a triple triple combination. It was all going so so well - a beautifully constructed program and it was a beautiful skate, but he doubled his second quad and then seemed to lose it mentally on the jumps, singled a lutz and then doubled the next attempt at the lutz :(

126.5 total score the mistakes really killed him and now he has to wait and hope.

diver chick

On the Ice
Shaky startr for Kevin, mistake on his triple axel combo, then pulled out a 3/3/3 combo. Unfortunately that was as good as it got in the jumps dept, just too many hands down to be able to make an impression on the top three :(

ETA he is ahead of Lambiel on the Free but behind him overall. Not sure how that will affect Lambiel overall in terms of the bronze medal.

Last edited:

Hikaru

Final Flight
well, Lambiel's scores are holding on for dear life! with two other skaters to go he's still in second. His FS though is teh 5th best, but his score in the SP was very good to still keep him alive!

diver chick

On the Ice
PLush up now.

4/3/2 followed by 3Axel/2toe, 3axel, 3flip, 3flip/2, 3sal, 2loop, amazing spins and footwork and for the first time in my life I think he really felt the music!!

It was an absolutely fabulous performance and I am not a Plushenko fan, normally I can't stand his style of skating but this really was amazing!!!!!

tech score 71.05
component 80.76
total 151.81

diver chick

On the Ice
Lindemann up now, outside shot at picking up the bronze.

first couple of jumps clean, missed what they were though as being bombarded on MSN!!!
....3loop, 3flip, fall, down on second 3axe, 3sal, 3toe. Pleasant program but the choreography and interpretation not as good as Lambiel. Going to be close but gut feeling would be Lambiel was the better.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Wow!!

The final placements were definitely a "mix up" from the SP results. I always like that sort of competition - keeps me on the edge of my seat.

My BIGGEST wonder is about Joubert's LP. I was multi-tasking while Eurosport audio was on in the background, so I was not fully listening to the music. Did he change some of the cuts on the back half of the program? I got that impression from some of the comments on FSU. I so WANT to be impressed by Joubert, and was last season even though he's not totally my style. But that 1492 program has just sucked so far this season IMO. It sounds like he's already made some positive changes and I can't wait to hear more about that. Would LOVE to have a full field of great Men skaters for World's, and it sounds like BJ has turned a big corner.

Plush's style isn't necessarily my favorite either, but man o man you have to admire him as an athlete and competitor. When I heard the WOW's from the commentators when he did the 4-3-2 opener, there was no doubt in my mind he would pull off the win.

Coming off of injuries, Lambiel put in a good performance it sounds. Just needs to get the back "9" of his LP as good as the front "9" of the LP and his SP. Contender for podium at world's for sure.

So many people speculated about Stephane L possibly being a "one hit wonder" with World's in his home country last year. Hmmm. I'm not so sure about that.

If nothing else, following the European Men's Comp has given me some new opinions related to the "Does Johnny Need A Quad" discussion. Seems there are a number of Men who have quads, and also have skating skills and presentation to boot. Johnny Go Get Your Quad.

It's fun to share this with other GS'ers!!

DG

curious

Final Flight
Doggygirl said:
The final placements were definitely a "mix up" from the SP results. I always like that sort of competition - keeps me on the edge of my seat.

My BIGGEST wonder is about Joubert's LP. I was multi-tasking while Eurosport audio was on in the background, so I was not fully listening to the music. Did he change some of the cuts on the back half of the program? I got that impression from some of the comments on FSU. I so WANT to be impressed by Joubert, and was last season even though he's not totally my style. But that 1492 program has just sucked so far this season IMO. It sounds like he's already made some positive changes and I can't wait to hear more about that. Would LOVE to have a full field of great Men skaters for World's, and it sounds like BJ has turned a big corner.

Plush's style isn't necessarily my favorite either, but man o man you have to admire him as an athlete and competitor. When I heard the WOW's from the commentators when he did the 4-3-2 opener, there was no doubt in my mind he would pull off the win.

Coming off of injuries, Lambiel put in a good performance it sounds. Just needs to get the back "9" of his LP as good as the front "9" of the LP and his SP. Contender for podium at world's for sure.

So many people speculated about Stephane L possibly being a "one hit wonder" with World's in his home country last year. Hmmm. I'm not so sure about that.

If nothing else, following the European Men's Comp has given me some new opinions related to the "Does Johnny Need A Quad" discussion. Seems there are a number of Men who have quads, and also have skating skills and presentation to boot. Johnny Go Get Your Quad.

yes,the guy does not need anyone to left a door open (something you can't do against him) to win lol! Plush is a masterful skate. he knows what he has to do to win,I just hope he doesn't push himself too hard there's still worlds.

Mehdi

On the Ice
diver chick said:
Okay, really really like Brians 1492 program, haven't seen it before now but based on what I have read he must have improved it drastically from earlier in the season.

Shaky landing on the quad combo and a couple of over rotated jumps so has definitely left the door open for Plushenko.
He has improved it indeed. Didn't like it that much at Nationals, but I find it very enjoyable now. The music has been rearranged and the program in its integrity looked very strong.
The quad/triple combo wasn't shaky at all, it was huge and clean as a whistle. The little mistakes were on the triple flip/triple toe (had to put a double three turn after it but the free foot stayed off) and on the triple lutz (step out). The rest was STUNNING. :rock:

Plushy did a second triple axel but doubled out on the loop. He also had a lean on the landing of the salchow. The thing that bothered me the most was the speed across the ice. He looked very conservative indeed. Anyway deserved first place in the free and overrall.

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Well, good for Stefan L. His bronze in Dortmund last year came so far out of left field I actually thought he was going the be the Vanessa Gusmeroli (male version) of this decade, and his GP showings this season didn't exactly make me amend that thought. But now he's one Majors medal up on Vanessa so good show!! :biggrin:

Lisa

On the Ice
diver chick said:
Lindemann up now, outside shot at picking up the bronze.

first couple of jumps clean, missed what they were though as being bombarded on MSN!!!

4t/3t - textbook jumps actually :rock: - I guess they explain for a good part why he got the bronze. Congrats to Stefan!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I would have prefered Lambiel to get the bronze over Lindemann. While I watched Joubert´s freeskate I thought that Candeloro would have done a much better job in presentation and interpreting. Joubert is very handsome to look at, but he is a rather wooden in skating and interpreting, in my opinion. Also Joubert does not seem to have a triple axel in combination, or did I just miss noticing it?

Plushy definetely deserved his gold, and WHAT a footwork!!! So great to see something else e.g. by him and Lambiel than that usual toepicking, e.t.c. some skaters seem to prefer doing.

Griazev and his skating are boring, in my opinion. No charisma and very little talent in expressiveness or in interpreting any music type, it seems. He just skates the choreography through from one element to the next. He has a quad though, and that is good. I sure hope that Weir would have tried to jump a quad this season.

Last edited:
Stephane Lambiel

DRATS!!

From what I read of the review, Stephane was doing quite well and actually challenging Plushy for about 2 minutes. Not bad, when you consider he did have surgery before the Grand Prix and we wondered if he would be able to make Euros. And that SP must have been super.

What I am afraid from the review is that Stephane is one of those skaters (think Nikidinov et al) who when making a booboo everything goes down hill. I hope not. I want him on the Podium this Worlds. (Lindemann, imo, is a hit or miss type of skater (think Sandhu)).

Unfortunately, the edited version of Euros by ESPN will have Plushy and Joubert and lots of discussion if Johnny or Tim can overtake them. We probably won't even see Lindemann, and go right to the Pairs and have a long talk about how wonderful Totmianina and Marin did despite the fall at SA. We'll see two Pairs, and then go on to three dance teams and finally a long discussion or fluff about Irina. No Stephane, drats! But that's the way it is at ABC and ESPN.

Joe