Aljona Savchenko considering a comeback | Golden Skate

Aljona Savchenko considering a comeback

ice_tulip

On the Ice
It would be very exciting, especially now, because there's really hardly any competition in pairs. It's basically just S/H and no one else stands out with both star power, technical chops and consistency.

I doubt Bruno will want to come back, though. As I understood, he struggled with back issues even while competing. I'm sure it would be incredibly challenging & painful -- if not impossible -- to come back after several years off. Plus he is coaching and is a new father and probably is content with his current life. I don't think he is nearly as competitive as Savchenko.

ragdoll

On the Ice
I’m not surprised. Aljona is Aljona and her usual self who loves competing and never gives up. I would love to see her back.

Albus

Match Penalty
It would be very exciting, especially now, because there's really hardly any competition in pairs. It's basically just S/H and no one else stands out with both star power, technical chops and consistency.

I doubt Bruno will want to come back, though. As I understood, he struggled with back issues even while competing. I'm sure it would be incredibly challenging & painful -- if not impossible -- to come back after several years off. Plus he is coaching and is a new father and probably is content with his current life. I don't think he is nearly as competitive as Savchenko.

Pavlučenko/Hodîkin > Boïkova/Kozlovskiï > S/H
It is basically widely known and hell obvious, if you watched pairs last 2 years.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
It is basically widely known and hell obvious, if you watched pairs last 2 years.

Wait... What? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Anyways I would love for Aliona to come back and Create some competition for S/H! Both pairs have always pushed each other and together pushed the sport :) maybe it would somehow wake Tarasova/Morozov up as well...
I have to say though I doubt Bruno would like to come back. He doesn’t seem like a competetive type, and also has had back problems which is always serious.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
The fact that she's even considering a comeback at her age and after having a baby just further confirms my opinion that she is the female Terminator.

GO ALJONA! :cheer:

ice_tulip

On the Ice

I indeed have watched pairs for the past 2 years (and longer), and I've never heard of Pavlučenko/Hodîkin. In fact, I can't even find one mention of them with a google search, so it's not "hell obvious" to me at all. B/K are perfectly acceptable but nothing exciting in my opinion. I love Moskvina, and Boikova seems like a delightful girl, but that's about it. They don't excite me like Savchenko and Massot did, that's for sure!!!

I don't know how I'd feel if Savchenko paired up with a new partner. It appears if she comes back, it would only be with Massot, and I just don't see that happening, sadly. Massot has moved on, it appears.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I indeed have watched pairs for the past 2 years (and longer), and I've never heard of Pavlučenko/Hodîkin. In fact, I can't even find one mention of them with a google search, so it's not "hell obvious" to me at all. B/K are perfectly acceptable but nothing exciting in my opinion. I love Moskvina, and Boikova seems like a delightful girl, but that's about it. They don't excite me like Savchenko and Massot did, that's for sure!!!

I don't know how I'd feel if Savchenko paired up with a new partner. It appears if she comes back, it would only be with Massot, and I just don't see that happening, sadly. Massot has moved on, it appears.

The reason you drew a blank is because Albus spelt their names using the Czech [EDIT: I've since found out that it's actually Romanian] transliteration. It's the 2018 Junior World Champions that are being talked about:

Daria Pavliuchenko / Denis Khodykin (ISU Bio; Stats On Ice Bio; Tracings Bio)

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The fact that she's even considering a comeback at her age and after having a baby just further confirms my opinion that she is the female Terminator.

GO ALJONA! :cheer:

She is a terminator a figher or a narcissit or someone who likes the limelight. I always thought the Greatest Showman song Never Enough was her theme song. But not only is Bruno got a young family, coaching and back issues - let's be honest he was not the best male pair skater. The "new" system regarding GOE's m ight be favorable to her/them but honestly if she wants to come back t hat is her decision but I have had enough of her though she is great. she had her moment and the stars aligned up for her. I am fine with her not competing. I would love to see the Americans and Canadians develop.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
The reason you drew a blank is because Albus spelt their names using the Czech transliteration. It's the 2018 Junior World Champions that are being talked about:

Daria Pavliuchenko / Denis Khodykin (ISU Bio; Stats On Ice Bio; Tracings Bio)

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

I don't know what transliteration it is, bur for sure not a Czech one. The accent above the 'i' used by that poster doesn't exist in Czech.

Anyhow, it would be interesting to see any former elite pair's comeback for me, not just Aliona's. I miss Marchei/Hotarek, Yu/Zhang, Wang/Wang...

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I don't know what transliteration it is, bur for sure not a Czech one. The accent above the 'i' used by that poster doesn't exist in Czech.

Oops. Sorry. :eek::

I admit, my conclusion that it was Czech was drawn largely from the spelling of Daria's surname in that post (you have to admit, it does look Czech to non-speakers like me). And the fact that there were Czech and Slovak websites coming up amongst the results when I did a search for "Pavlučenko" to check seemed to back up my theory.

When I went looking for "Hodîkin", I was presented with a whole pile of stories about Nathan Chen! :confused: So, I cleared off thinking the search was messed up. But, re-doing the search again there now, I see that all the results were Romanian stories about the GP Final.

So, it was the Romanian transliteration of their names.

Sorry again for my mistake.

CaroLiza_fan

macy

Record Breaker
can't say i'm surprised! it is Aliona Savchenko afterall. she will always be one of the badasses of figure skating. she's a flippin warrior. to even consider coming back after having a baby and at her age, after five olympics in senior pairs and 3 medals...wow.

i also doubt Bruno would return after his health issues and now seems very happy with family life.

maybe she would consider ice dance or singles? :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
can't say i'm surprised! it is Aliona Savchenko afterall. she will always be one of the badasses of figure skating. she's a flippin warrior. to even consider coming back after having a baby and at her age, after five olympics in senior pairs and 3 medals...wow.

i also doubt Bruno would return after his health issues and now seems very happy with family life.

maybe she would consider ice dance or singles? :biggrin:

Did you see the video of her Singles routine (with musical accompaniment from Eric Radford) at the Ingolstadt Gala a couple of weeks ago?

Aljona SAVCHENKO & Eric RADFORD

When I talked about ARD's highlights of the Ingolstadt Gala in the Original Post of the Oberstdorf Gala thread, it caused a bit of a stir because the way I worded it meant that some people thought that Aljona and Eric were skating together.

Hey, if that ever did happen, wouldn't it have the potential to be a great partnership? :agree:

Incidentally, if you want to watch all of ARD's highlights of the Ingolstadt Gala, they can be found here (Aljona and Eric are at 20m 32s):

https://www.sportschau.de/winterspo...nstlauf---die-eisgala-aus-ingolstadt-100.html

CaroLiza_fan

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Did you see the video of her Singles routine (with musical accompaniment from Eric Radford) at the Ingolstadt Gala a couple of weeks ago?

Aljona SAVCHENKO & Eric RADFORD

When I talked about ARD's highlights of the Ingolstadt Gala in the Original Post of the Oberstdorf Gala thread, it caused a bit of a stir because the way I worded it meant that some people thought that Aljona and Eric were skating together.

Hey, if that ever did happen, wouldn't it have the potential to be a great partnership? :agree:

Incidentally, if you want to watch all of ARD's highlights of the Ingolstadt Gala, they can be found here (Aljona and Eric are at 20m 32s):

https://www.sportschau.de/winterspo...nstlauf---die-eisgala-aus-ingolstadt-100.html

CaroLiza_fan

This would be an interesting pairing indeed because they've typically been the "artistic" partner on their respective teams. Eric is arguably the most expressive male pairs skater in recent memory, and while Robin is 1.74, it seems Aliona's has generally had taller partners. I don't think this will materialize, but it would be cool to see what they could do together from an artistic standpoint. And as mentioned, the pairs field is still pretty open, and they would just need their easy SBS triples and easy throws.

Bruno of course, gets first dibs! :biggrin: That's amazing that she still has the drive to compete. Super woman! :bow:

pesto

On the Ice
If Bruno doesn't want to come back, it's difficult. It took several years for her partnership with Bruno to reach its peak, and she'll be 38 years old come the Olympics. I think it may be an unrealistic dream.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I would love to see her come back, she is such a warrior! But, as others have pointed out, she only wishes to do so with Bruno - and I can understand she wouldn't wish for another partner change - and it's a big question whether he will wish to do so. I would love to see them back, I've really missed them although I do rewatch their programmes (especially La Terre Vue du Ciel and Lighthouse) in compensation. And if Zoe Jones can come back after many years (who's nearly 40) after having three children, why not Aljona? There is of course always the danger that it won't work out (as the German president of their Federation also pointed out in an article) and it's going to be a big let down. But I can't believe that happening with Aljona.

I watched her single performance with Eric on the piano, and that was beautiful, including the music. However, there weren't that many jumps (not necessary either in this particular gala), so I expect she'll have to work on those again. I'm sure she would be able to get them back!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
There have been other pairs skaters who returned to skate competitively and even win OGM - Gordeeva, Rodina come to mind and I think Navka in dance. If she wants to do it that is her choice and business. Ihope she does it for herself if she chooses and that it does not affect or hurt her family. She is an amazing competitor but switching disciplines or partners takes time. There may not be enough. Realistically she migth be able to win German nats but she is not going to be strong enough to beat the Japanese, Americans, Korean or Russian ladies in singles. I was thinking Robin wouldn't mind another crack at gold but I think that time has passed. He has moved on and might be coaching an OGM or medallist.