2005 Tribute to Movies on the Ice | Golden Skate

2005 Tribute to Movies on the Ice

Vash01

Medalist
Sounds like same old skaters, probably skating same old programs.

Show skating will be a lot more interesting if events like this one were used to introduce the lesser known skaters to the public. They may not have the titles but they can be very good and very creative.

IDLERACER

Medalist
"This event will combine the best of figure skating with the most acclaimed movies. Cast includes Brian Boitano, Brian Orser, Elvis Stojko, Kristi Yamaguchi, Yuka Sato, Rosalynn Sumners, Caryn Kadavy, Shae-Lynn Bourne, Renee Roca and Gorsh Sur and Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjen. Michael Bolton and Franc D'Ambrosio are the celebrity guest artists."

From this description alone, I believe I can confidently say that I've probably seen every one of these routines on TV already.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I understand that it does get tiring to see the same programs over and over but it takes so much time to learn and keep up to date on the programs they are doing there just isn't time for them to learn more programs.

SingAlto

On the Ice
IDLERACER said:
From this description alone, I believe I can confidently say that I've probably seen every one of these routines on TV already.

I don't know about the other skaters, but Brian Boitano is doing a brand new number. In fact, he's done a new number in every event he's been in this season.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Actually....it does not always take so long for new programs. Yagudin did this seasons Moon Over Bourbon Street in two days.....Sasha Zhulin once choreographed a program for Kurt Browning on a bar cocktail napkin, lol!

On so many of these tired skating shows, it is definitely WHO you know, who are you married to, who are you buddies with, blah-blah-blah - instead of WHAT could possibly make it interesting to the viewers. As someone very wise in skating marketing said to me recently, "It is as if they are trying to kill figure skating in the US - and doing a good job at it."

IDLERACER

Medalist
Although this is in my neighborhood, and the cheap seats are a little cheaper than usual, I think I'll pass on this one. I just don't like the thought of paying money to hear Michael Bolton. I'll look forward to the TV special a few weeks later, where I can turn the sound down, and watch them skate to whatever music I put on in it's place. :biggrin:

Eeyora

Final Flight
IDLERACER said:
Although this is in my neighborhood, and the cheap seats are a little cheaper than usual, I think I'll pass on this one. I just don't like the thought of paying money to hear Michael Bolton. I'll look forward to the TV special a few weeks later, where I can turn the sound down, and watch them skate to whatever music I put on in it's place. :biggrin:

I agree. Unless I invested in a pair of earplugs.

anya_angie

Final Flight
Rest easy, the only movie song he has sung is Go The Distance, 1997's Hercules, Alan Menken & David Zippel.

mememe

On the Ice
Maybe you shouldn't be so confident

that you've seen all these routines on TV before, Idleracer. I went to the show on Friday and if skaters doing "new" numbers is your basis for judging whether you like a show or not, you really missed out by not going.

There were a bunch of new programs (at least, they were new to me): Brian Boitano's "Georgia" (from Ray), Brian Orser's "Believe" (from Polar Express) and "Accidentally in Love" (from Shrek2), Caryn Kadavy's "Alfie" (from movie Alfie), Roz Sumner's "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" (from Closer), Yuka Sato's "Wine Safari" (from Sideways) and Sato & Jason Dungjen's "Lovers" (from House of Flying Daggers), Elvis Stojko's "Nightmare/Shake That Thing" (from Aviator) and "Lose Yourself" (from 8 Mile), Renee Roca and Gorsha Sur's "Learn to be Lonely" (from Phantom) and "Some of these Days" (from Beyond the Sea) and one from Shae-Lynn Bourne from the movie Ray, too (can't think of the name of it right now, but Michael Bolton sang it live). Even if I've a couple of these have been done on TV once before, that's still quite a few new numbers. And the "repeats" were either from so long ago that it was nice to see them again or had only been done once or twice before and so were still fresh for me. I LOVED Boitano's "Music of the Night" with Franc D'Ambrosio singing live. It was awesome and it's been at least 6-7 years since he's done it. His speed and power were breathtaking in both numbers. Enjoyed Caryn's "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" that's from several years back, and as for Kristi's "Over the Rainbow," I've only seen it once before and never seen it live, and she was absolutely beautiful and spot-on. It was certainly worth my time to see it live.

It's beyond me why people seem to think that if a skater does the same program more than once, it's boring and a sign of someone who shouldn't be allowed to perform in a show. I found some of the comments on this thread a bit strange, to say the least. I LIKE to see programs several times, I like to see the skaters grow into the program and have it become a part of them. And I believe that it's a long, involved process with a lot of work involved to come up with a good new program. Funny, the eligible skaters almost always do the same two programs all year long, and nobody complains about that. Gee, why has Michelle Kwan done "Bolero" THREE TIMES already on TV, and still plans to do it at least two more times and maybe more before the end of the season? Ditto for Sasha Cohen and "Nutcracker," and as for those who have actually done the GP series this year as well as some of the USFSA things, they've actually had the nerve to do the same programs four or five times or more on TV! How gauche! They should have a new program every couple of weeks, shouldn't they? And then there's those horrible Stars on Ice skaters -- they have the nerve to do the same programs NIGHT AFTER NIGHT, more than 60 times a year so if I see three or four shows, I see the same programs, which must be boring, because I've seen them before. Gee, if Alexei Yagudin can choreograph a program in two days, why can't he perform a new program every other day or so? After all, it's so easy to choreograph new programs, it makes no sense for him and all those other skaters on SOI, who of course must know somebody or be married to somebody in order have those spots, to do the same numbers night after night. Shouldn't they have a whole new show at least every three or four weeks? Or why don't they just change the cast every few weeks and let us see all those skaters who don't get a chance to skate in SOI? Why should we have B&S, S&P, Eldredge, Yagudin, I&Z, etc., for three or four MONTHS at a time? (And no, that's not the way I feel -- I like seeing several stops of tours, every performance is different -- but if you require the same thing from eligibles and SOI skaters as many people on this thread seem to be requiring of the skaters in the NBC shows, this would be the result).

I think the skaters who do these show are, for the most part, very hard-working and deserving of the chance to perform. They've earned their places. Yes, there are some that I think are not prepared and obviously get the chance to work because of who represents them, who they know, etc., but the vast majority of these skaters work hard and have worked hard for years and are the reason some of these opportunities even exist -- but of course, according to some, their "tired old" programs (Boitano and Orser have done at least six or seven NEW solo programs this year, Kadavy at least five or six, others similar numbers, plus they've all done lots of ensemble, duet, trio, etc., work that is NEW) are killing skating in the U.S. Yeah, sure. And in most cases, the shows will have at least one or two "non-big names" that get a chance to be showcased (Winkler & Losee, Leonova & Khvalko, Steven Cousins, Silvia Fontana) in each show. I can't think of any skater, big name or not, who can match the speed and power and emotional delivery of a 41-year-old Boitano -- AND he's still hitting jumps and doing great spins, etc. Orser is simply a delight to watch. For me, Sato and Yamaguchi and Kadavy are among my very favorite women skaters. And they've kept up their skills. People obviously still want to see them, and they're wonderful ambassadors of the sport. So why shouldn't they have a chance to perform several times a year? And if they do the same program in some shows, what's the problem with that?

Whatever anyone else's opinion is, I really enjoyed the show and will watch it on TV this Sunday, too. I enjoy new numbers AND programs I've seen before and appreciate a chance to see some of my favorite skaters in the process.

brad640

On the Ice
mememe said:
There were a bunch of new programs . . . Sato & Jason Dungjen's "Lovers" (from House of Flying Daggers)

I didn't know if I liked this song the first time I heard it, but I loved it after I saw the movie because it captured the idea of the story. I'm interested to see Sato and Dungjen's program.

IDLERACER

Medalist
mememe said:
that you've seen all these routines on TV before, Idleracer. I went to the show on Friday and if skaters doing "new" numbers is your basis for judging whether you like a show or not, you really missed out by not going.
Like I said...Michael Bolton simply isn't my cup of tea. I look forward to seeing this on TV in a couple of weeks (where I have the option of turning the sound down whenever he's on) :p

SingAlto

On the Ice
mememe said:

There were a bunch of new programs (at least, they were new to me): Brian Boitano's "Georgia" (from Ray), Brian Orser's "Believe" (from Polar Express) and "Accidentally in Love" (from Shrek2), Caryn Kadavy's "Alfie" (from movie Alfie), Roz Sumner's "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" (from Closer), Yuka Sato's "Wine Safari" (from Sideways) and Sato & Jason Dungjen's "Lovers" (from House of Flying Daggers), Elvis Stojko's "Nightmare/Shake That Thing" (from Aviator) and "Lose Yourself" (from 8 Mile), Renee Roca and Gorsha Sur's "Learn to be Lonely" (from Phantom) and "Some of these Days" (from Beyond the Sea) and one from Shae-Lynn Bourne from the movie Ray, too (can't think of the name of it right now, but Michael Bolton sang it live). Even if I've a couple of these have been done on TV once before, that's still quite a few new numbers. And the "repeats" were either from so long ago that it was nice to see them again or had only been done once or twice before and so were still fresh for me. I LOVED Boitano's "Music of the Night" with Franc D'Ambrosio singing live. It was awesome and it's been at least 6-7 years since he's done it. His speed and power were breathtaking in both numbers. Enjoyed Caryn's "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" that's from several years back, and as for Kristi's "Over the Rainbow," I've only seen it once before and never seen it live, and she was absolutely beautiful and spot-on. It was certainly worth my time to see it live.

It's beyond me why people seem to think that if a skater does the same program more than once, it's boring and a sign of someone who shouldn't be allowed to perform in a show. I found some of the comments on this thread a bit strange, to say the least. I LIKE to see programs several times, I like to see the skaters grow into the program and have it become a part of them. And I believe that it's a long, involved process with a lot of work involved to come up with a good new program. Funny, the eligible skaters almost always do the same two programs all year long, and nobody complains about that. Gee, why has Michelle Kwan done "Bolero" THREE TIMES already on TV, and still plans to do it at least two more times and maybe more before the end of the season? Ditto for Sasha Cohen and "Nutcracker," and as for those who have actually done the GP series this year as well as some of the USFSA things, they've actually had the nerve to do the same programs four or five times or more on TV! How gauche! They should have a new program every couple of weeks, shouldn't they? And then there's those horrible Stars on Ice skaters -- they have the nerve to do the same programs NIGHT AFTER NIGHT, more than 60 times a year so if I see three or four shows, I see the same programs, which must be boring, because I've seen them before. Gee, if Alexei Yagudin can choreograph a program in two days, why can't he perform a new program every other day or so? After all, it's so easy to choreograph new programs, it makes no sense for him and all those other skaters on SOI, who of course must know somebody or be married to somebody in order have those spots, to do the same numbers night after night. Shouldn't they have a whole new show at least every three or four weeks? Or why don't they just change the cast every few weeks and let us see all those skaters who don't get a chance to skate in SOI? Why should we have B&S, S&P, Eldredge, Yagudin, I&Z, etc., for three or four MONTHS at a time? (And no, that's not the way I feel -- I like seeing several stops of tours, every performance is different -- but if you require the same thing from eligibles and SOI skaters as many people on this thread seem to be requiring of the skaters in the NBC shows, this would be the result).

I think the skaters who do these show are, for the most part, very hard-working and deserving of the chance to perform. They've earned their places. Yes, there are some that I think are not prepared and obviously get the chance to work because of who represents them, who they know, etc., but the vast majority of these skaters work hard and have worked hard for years and are the reason some of these opportunities even exist -- but of course, according to some, their "tired old" programs (Boitano and Orser have done at least six or seven NEW solo programs this year, Kadavy at least five or six, others similar numbers, plus they've all done lots of ensemble, duet, trio, etc., work that is NEW) are killing skating in the U.S. Yeah, sure. And in most cases, the shows will have at least one or two "non-big names" that get a chance to be showcased (Winkler & Losee, Leonova & Khvalko, Steven Cousins, Silvia Fontana) in each show. I can't think of any skater, big name or not, who can match the speed and power and emotional delivery of a 41-year-old Boitano -- AND he's still hitting jumps and doing great spins, etc. Orser is simply a delight to watch. For me, Sato and Yamaguchi and Kadavy are among my very favorite women skaters. And they've kept up their skills. People obviously still want to see them, and they're wonderful ambassadors of the sport. So why shouldn't they have a chance to perform several times a year? And if they do the same program in some shows, what's the problem with that?

Whatever anyone else's opinion is, I really enjoyed the show and will watch it on TV this Sunday, too. I enjoy new numbers AND programs I've seen before and appreciate a chance to see some of my favorite skaters in the process.

Very cool reply. Couldn't have stated it better myself. :rock:

mememe

On the Ice
childfreegirl: Brian Orser was the one who did "Accidentally in Love." It was a great program from him.

Idleracer: No problem with you not choosing to go to the show because of Michael Bolton -- I wasn't trying to pass judgement on your choice of whether or not to attend a show, and Bolton's presence is something I would weigh before purchasing a ticket, too. My comment about you not going was in response to your earlier post in which you said you were sure by the description that you would have already seen every program performed in the show on TV. It turned out that your confidence was misplaced, and my comment was only that if "old programs" was your reason for not going (or one of your main reasons), then you had missed a good show for nothing. (As for me, having live singers tends to make me more likely to go, even if they're singers I'm not fond of, because I know I'll miss quite a bit of the skating performances on TV while they show the singers, and I want to see the whole skating program. And besides, most of the time in person, live singing and skating are a really wonderful combination, even if I don't like the singer. I thought so in this case -- while Bolton's singing wasn't my favorite thing, I thought the electricity in the arena and between the two performers (most especially between he and Boitano) made up for the less-than-optimum voice. Ditto for Kimberly Locke and Yamaguchi -- I'm not a big fan of Locke's version of "Over the Rainbow," but loved Yamaguchi's program and enjoyed experiencing the energy between the two. And I got to see all the skating, since I was NOT watching the singers during the skating.

SingAlto: Thanks!