Thread: Cold feet in Edeas

Spectator

0 Not allowed!

Cold feet in Edeas

I’m a pre-bronze adult skater who just moved from Jackson Artiste to Edea Chorus.

I’ve skated on them twice so far (yesterday and today), for about an hour each time, and beyond just getting used to the higher heel and the feel of the ankle they’ve been wonderful, except for the fact that within 15 minutes my toes are basically frozen solid.

I can push through to the end of my practice, and they warm back up pretty quickly. I haven’t had any lingering discomfort, but it’s pretty miserable to skate with frozen toes.

I would get cold toes sometimes in my Jacksons, I don’t have super great circulation, but it would never reach this level.

I’m considering tossing a heating pack in the toe of each boot before I leave for the rink so I at least start out with warmer feet, but I was wondering if anyone knew what might be causing this, and any potential remedies.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Well, as long as your toes aren't jammed in the front of the boot, Edea does have a thinner sole, so they might just be getting cold from the ice on the sole and the temp of your blades.

There are super thin wool insoles you can buy, so I'd try that before stuffing a heating pack in there This is what I'd try first: https://www.amazon.com/Pedag-145-Ins...017837&sr=8-46

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimyue View Post
    Well, as long as your toes aren't jammed in the front of the boot, Edea does have a thinner sole, so they might just be getting cold from the ice on the sole and the temp of your blades.
    Yes, if your toes are jammed in too tightly, then that will give you cold/circulation problems. It's interesting to note, however, that Edea have a line of "thermal" boot covers which are designed to close underneath the sole of the boot (via strips of Velcro) so I think it's probably safe to assume that cold feet are a known problem with the Edeas and/or the thinner sole... Might be worth a try?

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Edeas also lace differently--try leaving the laces looser in your toe box area and lace tight around the instep. Good luck--it will be OK.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    I remember my coach, who spent all day on the ice, had cold feet. She would have the Edea thermal boot cover on with another fuzzier boot cover over that to keep her feet warm. If my coach had time between lessons, like 20 minutes or more, then she would take off her skates and blow dry the insides to ge them warm before the next lesson.

I have experienced cold feet since switching up to Edea. I think its the thinner sole. If you move alot then your feet don't get cold or as cold.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe wearing socks would help?

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    I have Edeas and my feet got frozen too 😆
    I've always thought it was only me since my feet are often cold. When I skate I usually wear 70 denier nylon socks. Thicker socks were just uncomfortable.
    I tried to put normal shoes insoles (winter insoles made to keep your feet warm) and it worked..Fortunately I didn't need to modify the insoles that much to adapt them to skates.

Tripping on the Podium

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chilledicecubes View Post
    Maybe wearing socks would help?
    Please don't wear thicker socks with skates of any kind! I have Edeas and deal with this problem, it helps to keep cleaning the snow off the blades when it builds up.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah Edea is colder, but eventually I just stopped noticing it.
    I’m not sure how to tell beginners to get warm (outside of boot covers), because the way I get warm is by pounding a ton of jumps and spins. But if you’re a beginner and don’t have many jumps or spins to pound, yeah you’re gonna stay be pretty cold overall.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    When I first got Edeas my feet froze! My toes don't get as cold as quickly now I believe because of the progress I've made in my skating, I'm slightly used to it, and I always make sure to wear a thin pair of socks. If it's really cold and I'm going to be skating outside, I wear boot covers.