Things I’ve learned in Greensboro (US Champs) | Golden Skate

Things I’ve learned in Greensboro (US Champs)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope this thread is ok, as I’m not discussing competition. These are things I’ve learned in Greensboro (and before) that I wish I knew before I came to my first US Champs.

1. There is such a thing as Friends of Figure Skating and one can join and get a brunch ticket and meet and mingle with the athletes. It is well worth it. It also supports the athletes.

2. Don’t just go to practices. Figure out the best spot and most of the athletes are really nice and will sign autographs and chat briefly. In Greensboro this spot was at the left corner all the way down by the ice.

3. Look at everything you want to take. Divide it in half. (Except stuffies). Then divide in half again. You don’t need more than 2 pairs of sparkly shoes. You don’t need a sparkly dress unless you are going to a specific event.

4. For the love of all that’s holy, if you meet Nathan Chen, don’t scream “I’m dead” repeatedly at a volume even higher than I can scream. For the sake of those around you.

5. Be nice to people and answer their questions. You might get invited into a suite. Which are nowhere near as nice as the ones in Detroit (not in the same universe), but do have private bathrooms. One lady even carried a bunny down to the ice and threw it for me and she was sooooooo excited she got to throw it.

6. Be EXTRA nice to new fans. They are unicorns and we need them.

7. Don’t be embarrassed to use the wheelchair volunteers. This is what they are here for. Vow to rehab your knee when you get back and actually do it.

Feel free to add....

gottadance

On the Ice
I hope this thread is ok, as I’m not discussing competition. These are things I’ve learned in Greensboro (and before) that I wish I knew before I came to my first US Champs.

1. There is such a thing as Friends of Figure Skating and one can join and get a brunch ticket and meet and mingle with the athletes. It is well worth it. It also supports the athletes.

2. Don’t just go to practices. Figure out the best spot and most of the athletes are really nice and will sign autographs and chat briefly. In Greensboro this spot was at the left corner all the way down by the ice.

3. Look at everything you want to take. Divide it in half. (Except stuffies). Then divide in half again. You don’t need more than 2 pairs of sparkly shoes. You don’t need a sparkly dress unless you are going to a specific event.

4. For the love of all that’s holy, if you meet Nathan Chen, don’t scream “I’m dead” repeatedly at a volume even higher than I can scream. For the sake of those around you.

5. Be nice to people and answer their questions. You might get invited into a suite. Which are nowhere near as nice as the ones in Detroit (not in the same universe), but do have private bathrooms. One lady even carried a bunny down to the ice and threw it for me and she was sooooooo excited she got to throw it.

6. Be EXTRA nice to new fans. They are unicorns and we need them.

7. Don’t be embarrassed to use the wheelchair volunteers. This is what they are here for. Vow to rehab your knee when you get back and actually do it.

Feel free to add....

love this ! You are so real - its refreshing - good luck wit the knee thing!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
love this ! You are so real - its refreshing - good luck wit the knee thing!

My secret to being real is not caring what other people think about me and being old enough to be considered eccentric. It is great!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also: You should totally not be nice to people because they may give you stuff. But my new bff with the suite brought me a Sonja Henie souvenir program. Who does that??? Just for answering their skating questions. Also, I was told I was better than Tara and Johnny. Not a high bar to clear. I’m going to have a big head by the time this thing is over.

https://twitter.com/riverofchange/status/1220952846239195136?s=21

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sounds like you're having a great time and learning lots of great lessons as you go along! Glad to hear you survived tonight's competition! Pretty exciting! :clapper:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very important! When giving a hotel a card for a reservation, give them a CREDIT card. Not a debit card. That way another hotel in the same chain can’t preauth your card for $709 and you won’t have to beg to borrow money from friends and family to pay for your hotel (it still hasn’t been released).