ISU video commentator? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

ISU video commentator?

gold12345

Medalist
It seems especially strange to hire a clueless commentator when the only people watching the ISU live stream are diehard fans who all have at least some basic knowledge of skating, which this guy doesn't even seem to have. It's not like he's talking to a bunch of casual once-every-4-years fans.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
I love Bradie and it was nails on a chalkboard EVERYTIME he pronounced her surname like it rhymed with "fennel"

Then the inane comments while Rika was skating which just took me away from the quirkiness of her music! Please vote him off the island or make him shut up!!!!!!!

I am really looking forward to Bradie's LP and I do not want to hear "Fennel" through the entire thing.

NaVi

Medalist
I've seen some comments on twitter about Chris is being "racist" from a mob of lunatics
The problem i have is that ISU official channel actually takes them seriously

My hope is that this mob has nothing to do with why he isn't commentating... that it's a scheduling or money issue.

icybear

Medalist
I never thought torture was possible by speech but not I realise how painful it is. I really wanted to mute the video because of this new guy

Nachi

On the Ice
My problem isn't that he doesn't have basic knowledge. I think he does but he talks about some random stuff and that's just SUPER annoying. Especially during the program. When something like "xxx skated really good so far" or afterwards "xxx is going back to the kiss&cry"...yeah well thank you mister obvious! I'm sorry that I sound mean right now but there are a lot of good commentators who either do good comments all over (also during the program) or just stay silent and talk a little bit while everyone waits for the scores (maybe says what seems to be wrong or especially good with some elements). This commentator just states the obvious and I am by FAR not an expert in figure skating.

Kirei

On the Ice
On one hand he seems clueless and mostly reads off ISU bios..

BUT he did give us “lovesick woodpeckers” which is an absolute gem.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
'Tomoko' Hiwatashi... Yes, I think I too would prefer someone who is a FS expert. But I actually enjoyed that for the most part, this guy kept his commentary down to earth.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
My problem isn't that he doesn't have basic knowledge. I think he does but he talks about some random stuff and that's just SUPER annoying. Especially during the program. When something like "xxx skated really good so far" or afterwards "xxx is going back to the kiss&cry"...yeah well thank you mister obvious! I'm sorry that I sound mean right now but there are a lot of good commentators who either do good comments all over (also during the program) or just stay silent and talk a little bit while everyone waits for the scores (maybe says what seems to be wrong or especially good with some elements). This commentator just states the obvious and I am by FAR not an expert in figure skating.

Someone on Twitter made a classic comment on Paul, saying on his desire to only comment on costumes: “this isn’t radio sir, we can see.”

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
This thread is making me want to subscribe for NBC Sports Gold. :laugh: Not to derail this thread, but does NBC Sports Gold archive past GP seasons? I think I read that past Nationals are archived, but can you go event by event in a given season? If, for example, I subscribed during next GP Season, could I still watch the 2019-20 GP/4CC/Euros? How far back does it go? Thanks for any info! :)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am watching on NBC Gold and at first could have sworn that this was the voice of Robin Cousins. It didn't go with my recollection of Cousins though, who has done some great commentary (I especially remember him for Boston Worlds). Anyway, I am quite relieved to learn this is NOT Robin! :laugh: I'm sure someone has already mentioned it (haven't read the thread), but I keep laughing at how this guy is so obsessed with the size of the crowd and the crowd reaction. :biggrin:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This thread is making me want to subscribe for NBC Sports Gold. :laugh: Not to derail this thread, but does NBC Sports Gold archive past GP seasons? I think I read that past Nationals are archived, but can you go event by event in a given season? If, for example, I subscribed during next GP Season, could I still watch the 2019-20 GP/4CC/Euros? How far back does it go? Thanks for any info! :)

I don't see that it goes back that far. It is worth it's weight in gold (no pun intended) for the Asia events. It's nice to be able to watch all the 3 am stuff on replay.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't see that it goes back that far. It is worth it's weight in gold (no pun intended) for the Asia events. It's nice to be able to watch all the 3 am stuff on replay.
Hmm, interesting. So pretty much you get access to the current season stuff, but it's only available until the next season begins? I like to re-watch often, and possibly show friends my favorite programs, but I don't like feeling like I'm "on a deadline" to do so. Sigh. It's "on demand," but for how long? When the YouTube videos could stay up safely, this wasn't an issue. YouTube/DailyMotion/etc were my on-demand skating resource. These are no longer reliable. :disapp:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I wish so much there would be a choice for "no commentary" on the ISU channel, as this commentator for 4CC speaks way too much during the performances.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You mean for the 4 Continents? The one commentating during the RD at Graz was just dire. "Change of rhythm to a tango. Oh, and now it's a bit of a quickstep..." I think you'll find that it's a Finnstep, which is the point of the Rhythm Dance this season, you absolute plank... :palmf:

Wait, isn't a Finnstep really a quickstep?

The only reason it is called a Finnstep is because a Finnish couple devised it. The only thing that differentiates it as a Finnstep is the precise pattern.

There's not a genre of music or dance called Finnstep. The Finnstep pattern dance is skated to music with a quickstep rhythm.

Anyway, I don't mind the guy on the ISU thread. He's relatively quiet, and I'm grateful to get any live coverage here in USA.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Wait, isn't a Finnstep really a quickstep?

The only reason it is called a Finnstep is because a Finnish couple devised it. The only thing that differentiates it as a Finnstep is the precise pattern.

There's not a genre of music or dance called Finnstep. The Finnstep pattern dance is skated to music with a quickstep rhythm.

Anyway, I don't mind the guy on the ISU thread. He's relatively quiet, and I'm grateful to get any live coverage here in USA.

Yes, it is and that was my point, I just didn't put it over very well. I don't think the announcer knew that, though...

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I am watching on NBC Gold and at first could have sworn that this was the voice of Robin Cousins. It didn't go with my recollection of Cousins though, who has done some great commentary (I especially remember him for Boston Worlds). Anyway, I am quite relieved to learn this is NOT Robin! :laugh: I'm sure someone has already mentioned it (haven't read the thread), but I keep laughing at how this guy is so obsessed with the size of the crowd and the crowd reaction. :biggrin:
So NBC Gold has the same guy this thread is about??? :palmf: I thought NBC would have one of their own commentators do NBC Gold, like let Johnny/Tanith commentate all the skaters and just cut together the TV broadcasts. Johnny and Tanith are on the TV broadcasts for 4CC, and they have their quirks, but are MUCH better than this guy sounds.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So NBC Gold has the same guy this thread is about??? :palmf: I thought NBC would have one of their own commentators do NBC Gold, like let Johnny/Tanith commentate all the skaters and just cut together the TV broadcasts. Johnny and Tanith are on the TV broadcasts for 4CC, and they have their quirks, but are MUCH better than this guy sounds.

When NBC provides the International feed to an event, they use their own commentators (such as Skate America). Otherwise, they use the International feed with whatever commentary comes with it (typically none). For whoever was asking how far one can go back, I don’t know, but on Icenetwork one could go back years, even a decade. Such an amazing resource was lost when they got rid of IceNetwork.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
'Tomoko' Hiwatashi... Yes, I think I too would prefer someone who is a FS expert. But I actually enjoyed that for the most part, this guy kept his commentary down to earth.

Wait, he called him Tomoko!? Pffffffffft, that's a girl's name.

It always cracks me up when the commentators accidentally turn male Japanese names into female ones. "Tomoko" Hiwatashi and "Yuzuka" Hanyu must be Tomoki and Yuzuru's twin sisters. :laugh: