Can Belbin-Agosto win worlds 2005? | Golden Skate

Can Belbin-Agosto win worlds 2005?

Vash01

Medalist
I am not basing this on the 6.0's they received at the USN, but they are capable of skating great. Navka-Kostomarov have made numerous mistakes this season. If they make a couple of mistakes at worlds, I think B&A can upset them for the gold. At the GPF when both skated clean, B&A were 10 points behind N&K. I don't know if a couple of mistakes by N&K could push them down. I don't really want to hear about the judges holding up N&K because worlds are in Moscow. Let us just have a discussion based on points.

I don't know if D&S are a factor at this point- they seemed to go downward as the season progressed. They may surprise everyone by skating great, but my feeling is that this year's program is just not going to do it for them. B&A beat them at GPF and I am going to assume (always a dangerous thing to do!) that B&A will win at least the silver. Can they win the gold though in Moscow, based on the program and performance?

Vash

euterpe

Medalist
Win gold in Moscow vs. Navka/Kostomarov? In a word, No!

I just want to see them win a medal. They have the potential to finish anywhere from 2nd to 4th, depending on the politics of the moment.

WARNING: SPOILER AHEAD!

Den/Sta have lost momentum this season and their FS hasn't been scoring well with the judges. They had to withdraw from Euros after finishing 5th in the OD because Albena was so sick. The GrushGons finished 2nd behind N/K, and the problem for B/A is they haven't competed against the GrushGons this season. B/A's medal battle will be fought against the GrushGons and Den/Sta. Another factor is DelShoes, who won bronze at Euros--they have finally got their act together after struggling in the GP.

bdreampixie

On the Ice
NO.

If they judges were fair B&A would have a chance, but N&K have been receiving unbelievably high marks in PCS. I personally don't "get" N&K, they're difficulty compared to B&A and Del&Scho is average, Kostomarov is very messy and has trouble with a lot of the difficult stuff. I truly do not understand how they are the TOP team in ice dance. Especially when compared to top teams of years past, I think N&K are embarassing. If N&K have mistakes, I definitely think that B&A should be ahead if they skate clean but I'm sure that they wont. The judges will just raise N&K's PCS to compensate for the TES.

icy fresh

On the Ice
I think tB/A have a chance. They said on the boradcast of Nationals that their program will change a lot for Worlds. We already know they can beat D/S and everyone else but N/K. So it's not out of the question for them to win, I think it would just be a surprise.

When B/A, N/K and B/S are "on", they are all 3 wonderful. I wouldn't want to be the judge!
I agree that N/K can sometimes be a bit sloppy...I enjoy them but I don't "see" what makes them so much better than B/A. B/A seem to be so spot on, fast, exciting. I actually prefer B/S over N/K most times even tho I enjoy all 3 mentioned here.
I think N/K will have to make MAJOR mistakes and probably B/S would have to make a couple as well for B/A to win World's in Russia.
We can only wait and see what happens! It should be exciting!

equestrianguy

On the Ice
I don't see them winning Worlds this year, but possibly next year. I definatley see them winning a World title after the Oly. They have said in interviews that they plan on staying in amatuer competition possibly for two more Oly. I see them being around for a long time....

bdreampixie

On the Ice
NJSk8Fan said:
When B/A, N/K and B/S are "on", they are all 3 wonderful. I wouldn't want to be the judge!
I agree that N/K can sometimes be a bit sloppy...I enjoy them but I don't "see" what makes them so much better than B/A. B/A seem to be so spot on, fast, exciting. I actually prefer B/S over N/K most times even tho I enjoy all 3 mentioned here.
I think N/K will have to make MAJOR mistakes and probably B/S would have to make a couple as well for B/A to win World's in Russia.
We can only wait and see what happens! It should be exciting!

I might be losing it but who is B/S?

gezando

Final Flight
I think they can be world medalists. They have the potential to win world, through hard work :rock:

mzheng

Record Breaker
NO.

Their skating still lack of polish that other top dancing teams have. That alone the PCS score will hold them back.

Ben is good, Tanith improved a lot this season, but still not as good as the femal partner in other top teams. Couple of seasons before (even last season), watching their skating, as if Ben dose all the work (on foot) and all Tanith dose was smilling and flirting. She improved miles since then, but not up there yet.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Absolutely not in Moscow. The four top teams in Euros will probably be ahead of them.

Joe

All 4? I have to respectfully disagree. B/A have finished ahead of Chait/Sakhnovsky and Deloebel/Schoenfelder consistently enough the last 2 seasons that I'd have to think B/A will battle it out with Grushina/Goncharov for the bronze. I don't see them finishing any higher, despite the GPF results. And regardless of where the Worlds are, it's pretty obvious that Navka/Kostamorov are who the judges want on top.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
GPF placements, particularly the unexpected ones, can be the consolation prize for not medalling (at all or as high) in big events that follow. I suspect this will be the case with B/A this year, and that G/G will gain enough points over B/A in the CD (particularly) and the OD, so that even with a win over G/G in the FD, B/A will not be able to catch up. If the judges really want to sink Den/Sta, I think they'll do it by placing Den/Sta under B/A.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
hockeyfan, that sounds an awful lot as if the judges have decided ahead of time all the placements for all the dance teams for the entire season.

Unfortunately, I think you might be right.

Linny

Final Flight
Get it

I "get it" re N/K. There is something about their line that the judges like. I'm personally in awe of a lady who can have a child and then return to World Class athletic competition.

C/S - I don't "get". She still looks like a rag doll being whirled around by a dirvish. Adding the Dracula organ music at the top of the program increases that perception. IMO.

B/A have a good shot at bronze and an outside chance at silver... but I'd love to see D/S have a good skate (get well soon!), even if it means that B/A are below them. I don't want B/A to be the team who moves up in the standings only when other teams are sick or injured. It tainted their first USA National championship and I'd like for it to not taint their first world medal.

Linny

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Personally, I don't see why "line"--physical attributes--count for more than performance. From what those present at the Euros competition have said, N/K performed poorly, with Roman K. messing up several times in the twizzles during the FD. Yet N/K was placed first in the FD with a high score, just the same.

It does seem that the more things change, the more they remain the same. We can expect N/K to win Worlds in Moscow and the Olympics in Torino, regardless of whether their performances warrant those medals.

And every season, one team is picked to be the "goat" and pushed down in the standings. The Israeli team C/S have been the designated goat for a couple of seasons. It well may be that this year's "goat" is Den/Sta.

I'm just wondering when it's going to be B/A's turn to be the sacrificial goat. Probably after N/K retire and Domnina/Shabalin are moving up in the standings.
:sheesh:

diamondqueen

On the Ice
Can Belbin/Agosto win wolrlds 2005?

They have as good a chance as anyone to win. BUT, with the Russian dominating it will be an uphill battle. I sure hope B/A medal, a Gold would be the icing on the cake.

Best wishes :) B/A :love:

diamond :rofl:

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

I think they have a solid chance to win bronze and an outside chance to win silver, but gold - no, at least not this year. Do I think they are future World champions - yes! Perhaps in 2007.