Costume Colors | Golden Skate

Costume Colors

Linny

Final Flight
Remember the old Color My World thang where a person was assigned a season as a way of telling what colors look best on them?

For skaters, what colors do you like?

I'll start:

There a certain shade of blue that plays up Jenny Kirk's eyes. I like this color best on her.

Linny

My sister-in-law got into that Color Me thing...I think what she got into was called Color Me Beautiful....I'm an autumn....odd, I was already drawn to most the colors in the groupings the CMB said were right for me.

I don't pay close enough attention to know what colors look best on what skaters...But I will say I generally do not like pale colored costumes....especially with white ice and if the boards are white, white costumes aren't very aestheticly pleasing.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Angela's red dress looked stunning on her... I'd like to see her in red more
then again the sea green color she wore for "Just For You" the first season she skated it looked great too

IDLERACER

Medalist
NJSk8Fan said:
I will say I generally do not like pale colored costumes....especially with white ice and if the boards are white, white costumes aren't very aestheticly pleasing.
I agree. White is alright for exhibitions, when the lights are all dimmed, and they're skating under a spotlight, but when the houselights are turned up, the skater tends to blend in with the ice, especially with ABC's new sky-cam thingamajig. That white outfit that Sasha Cohen often wears, sometimes makes her look like a disembodied head floating around the rink.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I hate the fuschia/hot pink color that seems to pop up in ice dancing. PLEASE no egg yolk yellow. I like black, royal blue, dark purple, burgandy, and hunter green (BTW why is dark green not used more?). IMO velvet looks very elegant on the ladies and I wish they would wear it more often.

S

SkateFan4Life

I like black, royal blue, rose, and gray. IMHO, those colors look great on every complexion, hair color, and costumes can be designed from those colors to suit practically every kind of program.

Just my own opinion, of course.

mpal2

Final Flight
Piel said:
I hate the fuschia/hot pink color that seems to pop up in ice dancing. PLEASE no egg yolk yellow. I like black, royal blue, dark purple, burgandy, and hunter green (BTW why is dark green not used more?). IMO velvet looks very elegant on the ladies and I wish they would wear it more often.
I have to agree with you on the neon colors in ice dance. (A few of my seat mates heard quite a few comments from me.) My favorite line is "My retinas are melting!" when I see so many of those flourescent colors. :laugh: It's horrible when the whole group decides to go with those evil colors. Time to pull out the :cool: .

I also agree with you on the velvet and dark colors. :agree:

Eeyora

Final Flight
I like red, blues, aqua, pink, black, purples and white.

Red always looks stunning on Michelle Kwan.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I don't like predominately white costumes; I just find them dull. Yellow rarely works for me, either, especially that one Sasha wore for her SP last year that could have been picked up by satellite. However -- I did like Barbara Fusar-Poli's gown from their 00-01 OD, and Susanna Poykio I recall wore something at least moderately yellow at some point that I thought was quite nice. Gold and silver lames have also gotta go. And HOT PINK. Or pink period, actually, for the most part, tho I will allow that that could be a Guy Thing.....

Other than that, it's rarely the COLORS of the costumes that get to me as much as the anywhere from 10 to 100 pounds of spangles, beads, toys, tokens, coins, feathers, Christmas ribbon (see Maniachenko, Galina, long program, last season, I think, :biggrin: ), rope, stuffed animals, car parts, food processor attachments, etc, that might be hanging OFF the costume. Way too much to look at. And the Blanket On A Clothesline During A Hurricane thing has gotta stop in Dance as well. I think part of it is deliberate because maybe some couples figure sloppy footwork won't be noticed as much if the judge's eye is distracted by a mile of fabric flapping along in the breeze behind them.

For the most part, tho, you can't go wrong with either black or blue; I can't think of anyone who doesn't look good in these colors. Just as long as they're not put with another color that's hideous.

Justafan

On the Ice
All I know is that I really didn't think MK's gold dress that she wore in the LP at Nationals was a flattering color for her..it blended in with her complexion too much. I like her best in red and even blue. Combined with the Bolero music it was just too much monotony..if that even makes sense.

I like white if the skater is not too pale. It can be stunning on someone with a tan or darker complexion.

The exception to all of this is Taneth Belbin who would probably still look good in olive drab.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Justafan said:
The exception to all of this is Taneth Belbin who would probably still look good in olive drab.

Or a black plastic trash bag, or an old ragged T-shirt with motor oil stains all over it, or a set of really ugly 70s living room drapes....

Tho actually I'd quite like to see Ben in that 2nd thing.... :biggrin:

nubka

Final Flight
Colors....

Silver would flatter MK's skin tone much better than gold. As for "Color Me Beautiful", according to this book, guess which color looks good on every skin tone - teal. Can anyone recall any teal colored skating outfits? It doesn't seem to be a very popular color...

Justafan

On the Ice
I seem to recall Tonya Harding had a teal color costume years ago. Or maybe it was aqua.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Michelle looks great in her blue "Dante's Prayer" costume. I also loved her white "Winter" costume a lot!

Todd looks great in blue (those gorgeous blue eyes of his). All my favorite Todd costumes happen to be blue (First Knight - Worlds 1996 , , & his blue costume for "Il Mare Calmo Della Sera" - 1998, Independence Day/The Glory) :agree:

Last edited:

diver chick

On the Ice
Susanna Poykio always has great costumes I think. I loved her pink one from last season, also her purple one this year was great. If she can manage to finda range of simple, elegant yet different costumes each year I don't see why it is a problem for others :p

I have come to the conclusion that there was a sale on dayglo orange fabric in Europe this year as it seemed to be all the rage for costumes in all sections :biggrin:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
nubka said:
Silver would flatter MK's skin tone much better than gold. As for "Color Me Beautiful", according to this book, guess which color looks good on every skin tone - teal. Can anyone recall any teal colored skating outfits? It doesn't seem to be a very popular color...

Teal was actually a big thing in the early to mid-80s. Rosalynn Sumners won her World title in teal. :)

Linny

Final Flight
gold versus silver

I happen to adore MK in gold... it is the design of the Bolaro costume, not the color, that appears to be the problem. It has a kind of dropped waist that muddies the clean lines of her skating.

Teal is a color that specifically does not look good on my coloring. So, go figure.

Neon colors were all the range on the ski slopes about 10 years ago. They've slowly disappeared.

The worst use of neon colors were on Irina Lobacheva.

The pastels work on some skaters better than others.

Linny

Eeyora

Final Flight
I don't care for Michelle in gold.

I hate it when skaters wear yellow.