Thread: Javier Fernandez injured?

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!

Javier Fernandez injured?

Hey guys, I recently saw Javi’s Instagram post and I wonder what type of treatment is he doing? Does anybody know?

On the Ice

3 Not allowed!
    I'll just copy my post from Javi's fanfest:
    Javi injured his knee about two weeks ago in training.
    The first info was that he injured his back, even on Art on Ice page but it was probably a wrong translation or wrong information, because later on Javi himself said (and showed) it was his knee. He had to cancel the whole Art on Ice tour in Switzerland... Then he posted that the treatment is going according to the plan. Yesterday he was with Sara Hurtado at Gloria Estefanell's art exhibition so hopefully it's not too bad. And today he posted that the treatment will take four more weeks.

Gold for the Winter Prince! demarinis5's Avatar

4 Not allowed!
    ^^^ Sorry to hear about Javi's injury but glad it is not to serious. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Thank you for the updates.

Bona Fide Member

5 Not allowed!
    First Patrick and now Javi. Sad to hear our skating faves are getting injured even in retirement.

5 Not allowed!
    Very sorry about his knee but I gotta say the thread title made my heart jump. A dear friend had surgery for cancer yesterday and I saw health and thought serious illness until I could get the thread opened - I think I am primed to think very dark things at the moment. Anyway I hope Javi's knee recovers fully!

Medalist

3 Not allowed!
    Swift recovery to JF! Also was scared of grave news.

3 Not allowed!
    Wishing Javi a full recovery!

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    Hopefully Javi will be soon on the ice... I don´t seem to remember that he ever had to withdraw from competitions during his long career?

On the Ice

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    I don´t seem to remember that he ever had to withdraw from competitions during his long career?
    I remember it's been discussed in Javi's fan fest and as far as I know he never withdrew from a competition in 13 years in seniors. Crazy!
    There was the unlucky CoC 2017 when he had food poisoning. And before Europeans 2015 he injured his foot and it was uncertain for a while if he'd compete. But that's all.
    He was the closest to withdrawing before FP at 2016 Worlds in Boston but he didn't and it turned out to be one of the biggest successes in his career . He only withdrew from Europeans 2017 gala after the bad fall in the FP.

Javi's participation at comps was more endagered by his repeatedly missing skates than injuries one could say - Europeans 2013, Worlds 2017 and even his first junior competion Merano Cup in Italy (they talk about his missing skates for the Merano Cup in this video (around 5:29), and if you haven't seen it just watch it, it's so pure and lovely )

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    First Patrick and now Javi. Sad to hear our skating faves are getting injured even in retirement.
    retirement... last time I saw him he was jumping quads at the end of the show

0 Not allowed!
    That left knee has given him grief before. I think there was also a slightly problematic fall season caused by the knee, but cannot be absolutely certain which one it was, maybe 2013? And I remember many many times I saw him massage that knee in practices...

In the summer of 2016 he has some kind of treatment for a problem in the pelvis area, but that never seemed to cause too much trouble during the competition seasons. After that, though, he also developed a habit of holding his left hand on the same hip occasionally. And I have wondered many times whether the disappearance of the successful third quad in the FS in the 2016-7 (and afterwards) was somehow related to whatever that was.

But that's just about it apart from the occasions Clairecz listed. Quite remarkable!

e