Should Ladies Skating Allow Quads in the SP? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Should Ladies Skating Allow Quads in the SP?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't know about that. How many skaters can do a double Lutz in both directions?

Has any skayter ever been able to do do a double toeless Lutz?

But I looked it up and found to my amazement that someone actually has done a double one-foot Axel. Jill Trenery had a double one-foot Axel + triple Salchow combination!!! Now that's skating. If she did it now, would she get points only for the Salchow?

IIRC Alexandra Trusova can do a delayed Axel into a quad, but she doesn't do it in competition -- our loss -- because she gets credit only for an "unusual entry" to the quad.

I think it was a single axel into a triple salchow. (one foot axel)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2A does seem to be an exception. Several skaters have mentioned that their 2A technique suffered when they started training the 3A.

Still, the idea of requiring some lower rotation jumps has some intriguing possibilities. Why not give points for a delayed single Axel? Or for a 2Lz+2Lz sequence in both directions? Or a double Walley or toeless Lutz? That would put some pizzazz in the jumping passes rather than just counting revolutions.

You already know I love a delayed axel. But the other day, I saw a program that included a simple waltz jump, incorporated into a footwork or choreographic sequence.

It was so simple and beautiful - really just a nice subtle moment. I wish I could remember who and in what program I saw it.

SkatingWithEdges

Rinkside
First of all , the women should be stop doing Quad if you can't take off less than 1/4 quarter (4Lutz & 4Flip) and correct technique like the men fields!!!

Because when i see Trusova , Anna doing "FAKE 4Lutz" with 2/4 sometimes 3/4 prerotate that made me very upset

denise3lz

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Is there online summary when, how and (if possible) why changed Required Element in Short Program from 1972 to present ?

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think as a matter of fairness they should be allowed but I think in general all this quad trend is going to lead to is an ever rotating cast of pre pubescent girls coming crashing gloriously into seniors for 1-2 years before meeting their inglorious end when they can no longer do them. I honestly think the more sensible thing would be to raise the senior age requirement to 18. At this moment the only woman over 18 who has fully rotated a quad in international competition is Elizabeth T. I get people's aversion to having juniors be the big event but the honest truth is the overwhelming nearly 100% majority of actual adult women have no chance, zero, of landing a quad.

On a totally different note I worry about the potential long term damage to these pre pubescent bodies but I suppose it's not my kid out there thank god.

Prepared for this to be an unpopular opinion but so be it.

PyeongChang2018

On the Ice
I think as a matter of fairness they should be allowed but I think in general all this quad trend is going to lead to is an ever rotating cast of pre pubescent girls coming crashing gloriously into seniors for 1-2 years before meeting their inglorious end when they can no longer do them. I honestly think the more sensible thing would be to raise the senior age requirement to 18. At this moment the only woman over 18 who has fully rotated a quad in international competition is Elizabeth T. I get people's aversion to having juniors be the big event but the honest truth is the overwhelming nearly 100% majority of actual adult women have no chance, zero, of landing a quad.

On a totally different note I worry about the potential long term damage to these pre pubescent bodies but I suppose it's not my kid out there thank god.

Prepared for this to be an unpopular opinion but so be it.

Cosigned X PyeongChang2018 . I'd have done anything to see Tuktamysheva, Zagitova, and Medvedeva at Worlds this year. Artists.

McBibus

On the Ice
I think as a matter of fairness they should be allowed but I think in general all this quad trend is going to lead to is an ever rotating cast of pre pubescent girls coming crashing gloriously into seniors for 1-2 years before meeting their inglorious end when they can no longer do them. I honestly think the more sensible thing would be to raise the senior age requirement to 18.

While by principle I'm against limiting access to younger competitors it they are at level to compete, exclusing safety/healt implication that I'm not competent to evaluate, you touched very delicate arguments.
I hope the "recycling" trend we are seeing now is due to being in the middle of a revolution and we will soon have skater with stable elements going into their 20s.
If there will be a complete rotation of the top 3 or 5 skater every pair of years we will be unable to develop an emotional attachment to any athlete and this is more important than it seems.
Every sport needs ambassadors to grow and an ideal ambassador is someone who has been at the top for long time and has great personality.
Meteorites, even if their're beautiful falling stars, are forgotten.

Think of Roger Federer, Valentino Rossi or Luis Hamilton.
Think of Yuzuru in recent skating, and think of the rainstorm of Plushes at the GPF for his birthday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALt-mxcJRzc&feature=youtu.be&t=42

Cosigned X PyeongChang2018 . I'd have done anything to see Tuktamysheva, Zagitova, and Medvedeva at Worlds this year. Artists.

Someone should organize a fluff team event: the Old Masters versus the New Top Guns. Tuktamysheva, Zagitova, and Medvedeva versus Trusova, Shcherbakova and Kostornaia. I'd gladly pay to attend.

Do you think they should be evaluated for having proper technique? Or should leniency continue?

If by proper technique you mean rules about pre-rotation, I think this will have to wait until they develop some sort of unobtrusive sensor attached to the boot which will measure the number of degrees of rotation in the air with acceptable accuracy. As it is now, the problem is that questions like, "Is her center of gravity shifting upward, but her toe pick is still touching the ice?" intrude, which obscures this measurement no matter how many cameras are filming the jump from various angles.

Then the rule could be something like, you must rotate three-and-a-quarter turns in the air to get credit for a "quad."

As it is, the ISU is largely silent on the issue of pre-rotation, and I can see why they are.

Last edited:

Leigh Meagan

Spectator
Add the time back on

. If they want more artistry add extra time for the programs

I think these new propositions for whatever the 40% technical 60% artistic or vice versa are ridiculous, yes there is artistry lacking now but in no sport, in my honest, can't-do-a-backwards-crossover-opinion, should artistry be worth more than technical elements. 50 and 50 would make more sense. So I think that yes, they should allow quads in the ladies short because why can the men do it, but they can't?

A little bit of this may be that I am a huge Sasha Trusova fan

I think that if you allow a quad in the short and score everything property under the current system, there will be no problems. Score the quads property so that girls aren't encouraged to do random, really bad, unhealthy quads just so they can get a quad credit.

PyeongChang2018

On the Ice

But the skaters will still focus on quantity instead of quality. Packing is the name of the game, and they'll pack as many transitions, crossovers, et cetera as possible as opposed to actually using the time to revel in a moment, illustrate a story, or have a major shift in tempo.

Welcome to the forum! Post often, post long. :rock:

To me, I think there is plenty of opportunity for artistic statement even in the current short period time frame (2 minutes 40 seconds). It's like a sonnet. Yes, you only have 14 lines to say what you have to say, and the meter and rhyme scheme is rigidly prescribed. Still, "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?" :)

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

It's a big dilemma. In addition to the health and safety of the athletes, which should be the primary concern, there is also the issue of the sport's popularity. Isn't it good for the sport when we have Yunas, Maos, Michelles, and Irinas who reach the top levels and are able stay healthy enough to remain there over multiple Olympic cycles? If you stopped following the sport in 2017 and tuned in now, you'd probably recognize none of the names competing for the top 5 to 7 places at Worlds.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
First of all , the women should be stop doing Quad if you can't take off less than 1/4 quarter (4Lutz & 4Flip) and correct technique like the men fields!!!

Because when i see Trusova , Anna doing "FAKE 4Lutz" with 2/4 sometimes 3/4 prerotate that made me very upset

Why you are complaining about women first or about quads first - if there are lots of men who are jumping "fake" quads or lots of skaters (men and women) who are jumping "fake" triples - for decades. Complain about them first - and then - and only then - when those imperfections would be dealt with first - I will believe that your concern is sincere and unbiased ;) Still, I am pretty amazed of your strong will - if "fake" jumps makes you upset - watching figure skating which should make you upset constantly - becomes real heroic feat. I can't imagine how much suffering you need to endure from watching.. well, let it be Young You's jumps, just for example. Kudos for your dedication :thumbsup:

Elucidus

Match Penalty
I think as a matter of fairness they should be allowed but I think in general all this quad trend is going to lead to is an ever rotating cast of pre pubescent girls coming crashing gloriously into seniors for 1-2 years before meeting their inglorious end when they can no longer do them. I honestly think the more sensible thing would be to raise the senior age requirement to 18.
Why are you so concerned about Russian ladies? Short careers due to high level of competition and, therefore, high demand of complex tech content - it's only Russian ladies issue. All other athletes from all other countries are fine - they can have easy and long careers without problems - with quads or without them, with age 18 or 15. Again, why local national problem is so important for you? :unsure:

At this moment the only woman over 18 who has fully rotated a quad in international competition is Elizabeth T. I get people's aversion to having juniors be the big event but the honest truth is the overwhelming nearly 100% majority of actual adult women have no chance, zero, of landing a quad.
It's not truth - and we both know it. Tuktamysheva and Rika have pretty decent chances to land rotated quad in international competition eventually. I believe it will be next season, highly likely.

Again, why are you become concerned only now - when junior pre-pubescent men were training quads for decades? You think girls are weaker than boys? No, in fact it's the opposite - in pre-pubescent age girls bodies are stronger and less prone to injuries than boys. Again, why no one cared about kids health until only Russian junior girls started to put themselves on the same level as boys? :rolleye:

It's a big dilemma. In addition to the health and safety of the athletes, which should be the primary concern, there is also the issue of the sport's popularity. Isn't it good for the sport when we have Yunas, Maos, Michelles, and Irinas who reach the top levels and are able stay healthy enough to remain there over multiple Olympic cycles? If you stopped following the sport in 2017 and tuned in now, you'd probably recognize none of the names competing for the top 5 to 7 places at Worlds.
Is it? In those times figure skating popularity (and ISU financial profits) were much lower than now, in "disposable cups" time :scratch3: That, and on other hand, having Nathan Chan long career and recognizable star status does pretty much nothing for figure skating popularity in USA - for example. It's seems something is wrong with your deductions :think:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
"I just don’t understand the reasoning why Women can’t and Men can?" the reason is in your question - most women skaters can't do the quad.

KatGrace1925

Medalist

Out of those ladies I would only name Zagitova as an artist and even then she'd only started to really develop in that area before she took a break. I think Kostornaia is wayyy more of an artist that Medvedeva and Tuktamyseva.

I do understand we like to see champions with long careers but I see no reason to believe that there will not be a break out Russian lady who is relevant for much longer now that the level of competition is ramping up to where there are many top ladies. The hunger for success, the competition and how many there are, someone will find longevity.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I doubt very many skater’s careers are going to be shortened as a direct result of quads being allowed in the SP.

I Still don’t understand what artistry has to do with the topic either. I doubt if someone lands a quad in the SP it’s going to very much effect how they would otherwise perform had they done a triple instead.