mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I hate to make an official season thread till we know there is a season.

Maybe skater's will all go to Sweden to skate?? Or Norway? I see Sondre Oddvoll Bøe' s rink is open

Last edited:

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
Hi all, no offense intended here but do we need to be discussing restrictions due to COVID-19 in this thread? It's intended to be about announcements of new programs/music choices, and I believe there's a thread dedicated to the questions of next season(?) I know I personally come here to try and get away from all of that negative stuff (although it undoubtedly has an affect on a lot of things)

In other news, Liza T has announced a new SP to Spartacus per the Russian ladies thread https://m.sports.ru/amp/news/1085219095/?__twitter_impression=true

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Do skaters make these early announcements to put claims on certain music?

There have been some fights over themes, music between skaters that went to court or forced the artist, rights holder to make a choice as to who is allowed to perform?

Music not their own to be performed in public. Which means copyright fees are due to the artist and right holders?
Unless the copyright has expired and the music is in the public domain? But I think this only applies to sheet music, i.e. written scores of composed, mostly classical music? Which means if I input a MIDI score from public domain into my sequencer/synthesizer I am free to perform to it?

ruga

Final Flight

There have been some fights over themes, music between skaters that went to court or forced the artist, rights holder to make a choice as to who is allowed to perform?

Music not their own to be performed in public. Which means copyright fees are due to the artist and right holders?
Unless the copyright has expired and the music is in the public domain? But I think this only applies to sheet music, i.e. written scores of composed, mostly classical music? Which means if I input a MIDI score from public domain into my sequencer/synthesizer I am free to perform to it?

I think it's because most skaters haven't been on ice for a long time and all the news flow of previous 6 weeks or so is now concentrated in a shorter time. Haven't heard of many skaters getting permission or copyright. I only know the case of Yuzuru Hanyu being allowed to skate to 'Hope and Legacy' for one season only and another skater not being allowed to use the music of the same composer, but most other creators do not seem to care. Nor have I heard of any skaters taking fights over music to the court (if it was the case, maybe we wouldn't see so many POTOs and La La Lands every season).

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Can't be, or the 2014-15 Phantom overload couldn't have happened, and from the videos, it appears every fifth skater (and every second Japanese skater) was using a cut of the same music... :laugh: We even got commentators (Kurt at the GPF, for instance) sighing about it.

I only know the case of Yuzuru Hanyu being allowed to skate to 'Hope and Legacy' for one season only and another skater not being allowed to use the music of the same composer, but most other creators do not seem to care.

Poor Kevin Reynolds - didn't he have to change his music just after the season started because the permission wasn't formally okayed by Hisaichi? Presumably most composers welcome the money and/or exposure, I'm not sure exactly how it works.

Actually, as streaming/video becomes more important, especially if the ISU figure out how to profit from it, skaters may be discouraged from using music that may be okay at the time but is likely to be quickly copyright-blocked from reshowing (Prince for instance)

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom

In the 2018-19 season when Charlène and Marco announced they'd chosen La La Land, they did threaten (jokingly) that they would kill anyone else in the ice dance field who chose it! Mainly because they'd wanted to do it the season before, but several other teams had announced their intention to use it so they picked something else (Exogenesis). In the end, none of the teams ended up using it, whereas, ironically, a couple of teams also chose Exogenesis!
Here's Charlène's post about it: https://www.instagram.com/p/BhTZzJDBgcU/?igshid=f9t2q3va37mz

SkateSkates

Medalist
It’s kind of an unwritten rule that once you announce it, another skater in your discipline probably won’t choose it. There’s no real rule, but why draw the comparison if it can be avoided?

I like the announcements - gives me something to think about and discuss during the off season. Which cut will they use? If there are multiple song or versions, which do they go with? Etc.

So, I really hope we get more announcements in the coming weeks!

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
It’s kind of an unwritten rule that once you announce it, another skater in your discipline probably won’t choose it. There’s no real rule, but why draw the comparison if it can be avoided?

I like the announcements - gives me something to think about and discuss during the off season. Which cut will they use? If there are multiple song or versions, which do they go with? Etc.

So, I really hope we get more announcements in the coming weeks!

So it's probably the same as in gymnastics: first claimed, first performed, hence the race to claim radio hits and movie OST.

Hearing the same music twice or more during a competition is odd. Important star athletes can set and destroy trends by their music choices.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Hi all, no offense intended here but do we need to be discussing restrictions due to COVID-19 in this thread? It's intended to be about announcements of new programs/music choices, and I believe there's a thread dedicated to the questions of next season(?) I know I personally come here to try and get away from all of that negative stuff (although it undoubtedly has an affect on a lot of things)

In other news, Liza T has announced a new SP to Spartacus per the Russian ladies thread https://m.sports.ru/amp/news/1085219095/?__twitter_impression=true

i love her choice! if only she could be Aegina instead of Phrygia...i girl can dream, right?

Amei

Record Breaker

That would be a no, I give you the Free Dance from the 2018 European Championships, we had 3 consecutive Muse- Exogenesis programs. Coomes/Buckland used Exogenesis Symphony #1 while Zagorski/Guerreiro and Guignard/Fabrri both used Exogenesis Symphony #3
Starting Number 14: Penny Coomes/Nicholas Buckland
Starting Number 15: Tiffani ZAGORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRO
Starting Number 16: Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI

SkateSkates

Medalist
That would be a no, I give you the Free Dance from the 2018 European Championships, we had 3 consecutive Muse- Exogenesis programs. Coomes/Buckland used Exogenesis Symphony #1 while Zagorski/Guerreiro and Guignard/Fabrri both used Exogenesis Symphony #3
Starting Number 14: Penny Coomes/Nicholas Buckland
Starting Number 15: Tiffani ZAGORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRO
Starting Number 16: Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI

That’s why I said probably, not definitely :)

Of course there are cases when this happens, or that worlds with 100 “Feeling Good” programs, but generally speaking (not always) this is the case. If skaters already got a program choreographed and didn’t announce and another skater/team does first, there’s nothing they can do.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
That’s why I said probably, not definitely :)

Of course there are cases when this happens, or that worlds with 100 “Feeling Good” programs, but generally speaking (not always) this is the case. If skaters already got a program choreographed and didn’t announce and another skater/team does first, there’s nothing they can do.

And there' snothing they can do even if they do. If there were, I would not have been subjected to 24789789234897348972389748923743 Cabarets and 49758945908458903489509348568905689056 Grease short dances this previous season.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
To entertain (and educate?) myself, I have been watching top 5 men in the worlds since 1980 (and done some browsing to the 1970s) and you can also see the development of the themed programme. I recommend everyone to do the same - it has been fun also! (YT provides at least the top 5 in varying qualities, sometimes SP are hard to come by, but then I just watched the same programme from some other competition from that season if available.)

Yesterday I started to wonder when did Carmen get used for the first esp. in singles skating. It seems unlikely that it was used much before the 1970s because of the way the programs were put together back in the day - mostly medles of varying music to accompany choreo that was really not too tightly connected with music style or genre of dance. John Curry seems to have changed all that in the early 1970s when he started to do the kind of programs we are used to these days - music, choreo and costume all part of the same. Ladies followed suit but a little later only - by 1980 there had really not been a complete themed at least in the top contenders. Although Christine Errath did wear a rose-type decoration in her hair for her many Spanish medleys.

But Carmen? Well, the first ones I stumbled upon by chance (which makes me wonder about the music having been used by some not very successful skater slightly before? Hard to find out, I'm afraid): Vladimir Kovalev 1976 SP with a costume and all (here at the Olympics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSchVMpCUAk). In the ladies, Denise Biellman 1977 FS must one of the very early ones - note the distinct lack of theme-related costuming/hair etc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yzn4Z8gnVg Also, the cuts used are not the classic ones.

The next seasons already witnessed Carmen by more skaters - eg at top level Charles Tickner in 1978 FS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p7p27FGYJA where Carmen gets forgotten towards the end of the program completely), Linda Fratianne 1979-1980 (here 1979 version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u8s-a1KSLo The red dress with little frills around the wrists could be regarded as themed costuming?).

This exercise has really also taught me to love the variety and attention to detail, the adoption of dance genres etc. that we see today. I do not miss the old days very much. (In case you don't believe me just watch bits of men's FS's from the 1990s where literally every program began in the same way with a 3A or 3A+combo with exactly the same entry pattern.)

E

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is a thread about early announcement of programs for the 2020-2021 season. A thread talking about the announcements of programs thats skaters have decided for next season.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think it's because most skaters haven't been on ice for a long time and all the news flow of previous 6 weeks or so is now concentrated in a shorter time. Haven't heard of many skaters getting permission or copyright. I only know the case of Yuzuru Hanyu being allowed to skate to 'Hope and Legacy' for one season only and another skater not being allowed to use the music of the same composer, but most other creators do not seem to care. Nor have I heard of any skaters taking fights over music to the court (if it was the case, maybe we wouldn't see so many POTOs and La La Lands every season).

I know that Skate Canada has an agreement with music rights holders that allows skaters to use copyrighted music for their programs. As skaters, this cost is included in the fees we pay as Skate Canada members. There are some restrictions on what's included, but for the most part, we have permission from the copyright holders through Skate Canada to use most music for competiton and exhibitions. I would assume other organizations have similar agreements in place.