Evan Lysack
Shaun Rogers
Matt Savoie
TBD

Exhibition:
Belbin and Agosto
Orscher and Lucash

This should be fun to watch.

Wow, all Americans. Very interesting. The Marshall's challenge usually features the best of the competitors from Worlds. Last year is was Sasha, Shizuka, Michelle, Miki, Irina and Fumie, IIRC.

Except that in Olympic years, they don't want to give any of the international skaters any kind of break. The organizers don't want to aid and abet the enemy, LOL. In 2002, in the fall cheesefest, they did the same thing -- only American skaters, instead of the usual lineup of international stars. :sheesh:

Oh well, it will be good to get a chance to see Kimmie, Bebe and Emily in a show of this type.

Mathman

Mathman said:
Oh well, it will be good to get a chance to see Kimmie, Bebe and Emily in a show of this type.Mathman
About time, too! Although, I am sure the int'l judges will not be here for this cheesefest.

I'm not quite getting your point that it's a tactic. The top tier skaters can do the GPs if they want practice before int'l judges. This Marshalls is a long way off from the Olys.

Joe

Saundy

On the Ice
Aren't there usually international skaters at this event as well? I find it kind of odd to have all American skaters. It seems like another US Championships, except with prize money, to me...lol :p I guess they couldn't get any international skaters to sign up. I'm sure it'll be a good event all the same and I look forward to watching it. I've become very interested in Bebe Liang and Emily Hughes. They both seem like promising skaters to me!

Matt

On the Ice
It's kind of interesting to see one of the cheesefests with only American skaters.

On the one hand, the competition will be a "mini-Nationals" of sorts and give some of the younger skaters (especially the ladies) a chance to get some senior level experience

On the other, while I concede that the USFS programme is prolly one of the strongest in the world, it isn't the only programme in the world and I'm not sure I entirely like the idea of having such a "nationalised" competition (although it IS only a cheesefest)

I'd also like to see these cheesefests switch to CoP. Granted, it's overkill and prolly not necessary, but it is competitive experience for a lot of the potential up and comers, who are going to have to get used to CoP sometime

ATW27

On the Ice
I just wanted to say to those who find it odd that the event features only U.S. Skaters, remember, this isn't that new... two of the US figure skating invitational competitons (or cheesefests, which seems to be the popular reference) during the 2002 Olympic year were for U.S. skaters only.
You might remember the Hersheys Great American Challenge, held in the spring of 2002, which was the one where one or two of the arena's compressors malfunctioned. The result was a layer of water on the ice surface after the zamboni's "resurfacing". When skaters did elements like hydroblade manuevers and charlottes, you could see jets of water being kicked up. Anyway, that event was U.S. skaters only.
And I don't see anything wrong with USFSA holding these types of made-for-tv competitions for their own skaters. It's not like its really a prestigeous event, or one that would have serious repercussions, nationaly or internationaly. Now, am I saying all the these USFSA "cheesefests" should adopt this format? No, I think what would be best is a balance, so to speak...Of the three cheesefests held during the skating season, two should feature international skaters (I'm thinking the events in the fall and winter; you can get your new programs out early on, then fine-tune them before the national championships mid-season), and only one be U.S. skaters only (the one in the spring, since the season is for all intents and purposes over).
And I've got to say it, by only inviting U.S. skaters, I don't think it's a case of USFSA's not wanting to "aid the enemy", or of snubbing non-U.S. skaters. It's one of US figure skating's roles to promote their skaters, and create oppurtunites for them. Especialy for up and coming U.S. skaters like Rogers and Emily Hughes, who usually don't get that much exposure at this early stage in their careers. Plus, I don't think someone like Irina is laying awake at night, saying, "I didn't get invited to the Marshall's Skating Challenge! What is the USFSA thinking!?" :laugh: , either.

Last edited:

brenlynn

On the Ice
i don't think it's a bad idea, that way the money the USFSA is shelling out for prize money actually goes to their own skaters and will help fund their skating.

If you look at ISU's list of events for any given year, you will find numerous European competitions going on all year so the Europeans have their share of competitions.

Do you thinK in the Mens that TBD will be Michael?
I'm happy to see Sean again, and would like to see one of the Junior kids: Jeremy Abbot or Douglas Rozzano.

I presume ABC and Marshalls give money to the USFSA. Am I correct?

Joe

lavender

Record Breaker
brenlynn said:
i don't think it's a bad idea, that way the money the USFSA is shelling out for prize money actually goes to their own skaters and will help fund their skating.

ITA.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Didn't anyone notice that US champion Johnny Weir is not on the list? Johnny did not seem to enjoy his participation in Campbell's and Marshall's.

chuckm said:
Didn't anyone notice that US champion Johnny Weir is not on the list? Johnny did not seem to enjoy his participation in Campbell's and Marshall's.
Thank you. I actually didn't notice :rolleye: :rolleye: So that is what the TBD is all about. We can start rumors about why Johnny is holding out.

Joe

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
They used to always have one of the "cheesefests" an all U.S. competition. Remember the team formats they used to have? Todd paired with Jenny. Michelle with Ryan Bradley...etc. But this was before they went to the new format of having skaters skate their free program. They used to skate an interpretive free/exhibition. I enjoyed those old "cheesefests" because we'd get to see some young American talent. Looks like they wanted to go back to that thought and I'm happy because the last few years the three invitationals were always the same skaters and that got pretty boring.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Oh geez, the one time it's coming close enough for me to go to and I've already bought SOI and front row COI tickets. And it's on a Tuesday darn it! :sheesh: Oh well.

purplecat said:
They used to always have one of the "cheesefests" an all U.S. competition. Remember the team formats they used to have? Todd paired with Jenny. Michelle with Ryan Bradley...etc. But this was before they went to the new format of having skaters skate their free program. They used to skate an interpretive free/exhibition. I enjoyed those old "cheesefests" because we'd get to see some young American talent. Looks like they wanted to go back to that thought and I'm happy because the last few years the three invitationals were always the same skaters and that got pretty boring.
And imo, none of it looked like Sport. It looked like a bunch of kids having fun. One of the reasons for the ascent of NASCAR.

Joe

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Joesitz said:
And imo, none of it looked like Sport. It looked like a bunch of kids having fun. One of the reasons for the ascent of NASCAR.

Joe

True Joe, but I still enjoyed the opportunity to see some new faces. :)

purplecat said:
True Joe, but I still enjoyed the opportunity to see some new faces. :)
I think most figure skating fans loved these Sunday afternoon funfests. The problem was no one could take it seriously when they had those trumped up competitions. Even the fans spoke about the routines and the costumes only. No on cared who won. Without a good knee banging, the casual fans left the fold and so did these so-so competitions.

I wish they could be revived with serious competitions a la Golf. It doesn't have to be the American divas all the time. It might work.

Joe

Linny

Final Flight
Did it to themselves

When a skater's program consists of taking their clothes off and wriggling for the audience, how on earth can the skaters then expect to be taken seriously as athletes? And to get the same kind of endorsements as, say, a Nascar driver?

Really, if interest in this sport is declining, part of the problem exists with some of the skaters themselves.

Linny