Chris Knierim Steps away from Competitive Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Chris Knierim Steps away from Competitive Skating

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He's a lovely person and I'm sure he would appreciate a DM on twitter or similar. And yes, they are both Christians. https://www.christianpost.com/news/...m-christian-faith-return-serious-illness.html

He's a very nice guy. They're both super nice! Here they are at the San Jose 2018 Friends of Figure Skating Breakfast. Very personable and down-to-earth people. Glad he is prioritizing his health and doing what is best for himself and for their partnership.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/08/5f/ed/085fedadfccd523da42ac09713b9816a.jpg

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alexa will need a strong, confident male partner, not an upcoming junior. I think she is aiming for 2 more years not 6. She is tiny so that gives a little wiggle room with height. I hope they stay with Jenni and Todd as coaches. I thought about Mervin Tran but he doesn't have his US citizenship as far as I know so that would side rail an Olympic bid. On a side note, I was sad that Alexa and Chris didn't pull out before 4C's and give Haven and Brandon a shot. But I guess this was an evolving decision that had to come at its own time. Good luck to all!

I've read an article that said when they got done with their short at 4CC's, he told her "I'm done" and that was it. I'm sure if the decision had been made before 4CC's, they would have withdrawn.

Makemi

Rinkside
I've read an article that said when they got done with their short at 4CC's, he told her "I'm done" and that was it. I'm sure if the decision had been made before 4CC's, they would have withdrawn.

It was mentioned in the fanzone article. It seems the trouble started as early as December and even going to Nationals was uncertain. Alexa said "Even on the day before our flight to Greensboro, I told Chris again that he could still make that decision [not to compete]." Looking back I think the signs were there even before then, all those tiny, fluke mistakes (like the missed death spiral at NHK) where it seemed like Chris just lost focus. He probably thought he could pull through 4CC and finally realized that he couldn't.

I'm so bummed and I will miss them terribly (their elements really were world class and I was rooting for them so hard). I was so certain that after that fantastic short program at Nationals that they were maybe finally on their way. But I'm glad Chris is making a decision that his best for him and his health, even knowing that Alexa wants so badly to make it to another Olympics. I wish them the best and I sincerely hope that Alexa can find a new partner.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I thought of him, too, but I don't know if he has any interest in doing pairs. Also, he looks kind of thin, but not much thinner than Chris, really, so I dunno.

Singles skating is very different than pairs. I am not sure Sean has the size, the strength and let alone the time. I would really worry about the lifts and twists. Chris' strengths. I don't think Frazier would quit his current partnership. Besides money I think he would worry about is there enough time and will Alexa stick it out. Even though Chris appears to give Alexa his blessings itis hard when you are married to the man who is your former partner and we aren't talking a lot of time. It isn't impossible but there are a lot of unknowns - besides money. Will it work. Do they workwell together? Is there enough time Will Alexa go all the way - there are or may be emotional ties to Chris that makes it hard to go with another partner. How welcoming will the judges be. She will be 30 by the time Beijing comes along.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
:( But I think I had seen this coming ever since 4CC, I get 100% what she means says "Chris was physically there but he wasn't present. It was like I was skating with a ghost." Best of luck to the both of them, and may she find a good partner she can continue her career with.

I kept telling my wife that I could see that his heart wasnt in this. He loves her, fishing, and cars. He did it for her. I wish her, him and them the best and hope she finds a partner who she is happy with....

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But I'm glad Chris is making a decision that his best for him and his health, even knowing that Alexa wants so badly to make it to another Olympics.

I think it'll be such a relief for Chris not to have to repeatedly feel like he's letting his partner and beloved wife down. He looked so miserable in those K&C's; and even when they did well I wondered about him.

As for Alexa, she seems more driven, confident and fierce than ever, recently. And even though I first thought it seemed wild to think of her skating with someone else, they made the announcement well. I imagine some pairs guys could be thinking this could be a great opportunity; she's such a gifted pairs girl. It'll be interesting to follow what happens and if she really does make it to Beijing.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
He's a lovely person and I'm sure he would appreciate a DM on twitter or similar. And yes, they are both Christians. https://www.christianpost.com/news/...m-christian-faith-return-serious-illness.html

Today was wear a pink shirt day to support anti bullying. I am a little sensitive. I just feel for Chris and really hopes he heals and gets stronger. i am glad he has Alexa and his faith. Faith does not mean life will be easy or perfect but his faith will hopefully give him comfort and a peace as he moves along on his journey. Chris is NOT alone. His value is not in medalss, skating or being on the American team. it is in his faith. Go Chris go your story is continuing. I do not know what is God's plan for either of them but I know God has an awesome plan for them no matter what - come olympics or not.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, if all else fails, for Alexa there’s always Krasnopolski:scard7:

(completely joking in case that needs to be said. And I cannot imagine Alexa putting up with Krasnopolski’s nonsense for one second :laugh:)

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
I'm very sorry to hear that this is the case, as I feel that they never quite lived up to their full potential. That said, it definitely sounds like this is the best decision for both of them. Their relationship seems very strong and supportive, and they are making choices that are best for each person's current needs. I wish them both the very best going forward.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I was surprised by the news of Chris's retirement, but I probably shouldn't have been. I'm glad he and Alexa are putting his health first. Though they're not my favorite team, I wish them both well, they've been through a lot together already.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It sounds like he will do more coaching while healing. Maybe he can use his interest in cars now more for a living? He's got options.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Today was wear a pink shirt day to support anti bullying. I am a little sensitive. I just feel for Chris and really hopes he heals and gets stronger. i am glad he has Alexa and his faith. Faith does not mean life will be easy or perfect but his faith will hopefully give him comfort and a peace as he moves along on his journey. Chris is NOT alone. His value is not in medalss, skating or being on the American team. it is in his faith. Go Chris go your story is continuing. I do not know what is God's plan for either of them but I know God has an awesome plan for them no matter what - come olympics or not.

I think we fans tend to forget that our heros will have lives after Am/Prof skating, in the sport or out They will do just fine, I feel. (Good for you supporting anti bullying. I was terribly bullied even in college. I have unfriended some on my facebook account because they are making fun of how certain political figures look....and these are supposidly educated teachers! So sad)

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Makes me sad but this is the proper result... both Chris and Alexa will, I am certain, be involved in figure skating at some very satisfying level the rest of their lives. Good luck in the future!! Alexa should, by all means continue if a suitable partner can be found. Video is a beautiful B&W piece by Chicago Wintrust from 2018... quadruple twist on full display... WOW!! I will miss them...:sad21:

https://youtu.be/sJXiSJYStlk

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Out of curiosity, what type of injuries are common for male pair skaters? Are they more upper body ailments (shoulder, back, etc.) given all the lifting and throwing they do?

oly2018

Final Flight
Out of curiosity, what type of injuries are common for male pair skaters? Are they more upper body ailments (shoulder, back, etc.) given all the lifting and throwing they do?

I don't know about all skaters, but I know Chris had at least one wrist injury. I would imagine that repetition injuries are common, especially for skaters who have been skating at such a high level for so long.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A lot is said about the toughness of pair ladies and not enough about the toughness of pair guys. I remember looking at the sweat and fatigue of Bruno Massot at the end of the Olympics and worrying about his health. I think the pair guys seem more silent of their struggles, needing to be the strong one. I think of the late, great Sergei Grinkov and his hereditary heart problems and whether such intense training demands may have played in contributing part. I think we take the pair guys for granted and need to become more aware of keeping them well especially with age and repetitive injuries. Pair guys are every bit as awesome as the ladies!

Skatefan15

On the Ice
Ok... I’m really sorry but did some of you guys really suggest Sean Rabbit as a new partner?! Like I honestly can’t tell if that’s a joke. Don’t get me wrong, he’s an expressive skater but he’s 29 and I don’t think has any experience in pairs (?). Alexa needs someone who’s been in the game for awhile (let’s hope that maybe her and Danny could partner up:pray:).

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Ok... I’m really sorry but did some of you guys really suggest Sean Rabbit as a new partner?! Like I honestly can’t tell if that’s a joke. Don’t get me wrong, he’s an expressive skater but he’s 29 and I don’t think has any experience in pairs (?). Alexa needs someone who’s been in the game for awhile (let’s hope that maybe her and Danny could partner up:pray:).

I wasn't joking. :)