Cramping in arches | Golden Skate

Cramping in arches

sar123

Spectator
I've recently been experiencing pretty intense arch cramps in my skates, such that my legs get a bit shaky. Is this a sign that there's something wrong with my skates? I've never been super happy with these skates, but the idea of getting new skates is a bit daunting. For reference I'm an adult skater returning to the sport working on all singles and various spins (sit, camel, back spin, back sit etc). I'm in a cold climate so a part of me wonders if it's just the cold of the winter (rink gets very cold when it's below freezing outside). Any advise would be appreciated!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I've recently been experiencing pretty intense arch cramps in my skates, such that my legs get a bit shaky. Is this a sign that there's something wrong with my skates? I've never been super happy with these skates, but the idea of getting new skates is a bit daunting. For reference I'm an adult skater returning to the sport working on all singles and various spins (sit, camel, back spin, back sit etc). I'm in a cold climate so a part of me wonders if it's just the cold of the winter (rink gets very cold when it's below freezing outside). Any advise would be appreciated!

Do you have high, medium(normal) or low/no arches in your feet? That would help advice.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm not totally sure - I think medium/normal arches. Thanks for the reply!

What boots are you in? Were you fitted by a skate pro? There are so many factors that could be causing this issue.

sar123

Spectator
I was fitted by a pro - however, the boots were used (in great condition). They are Riedells Gold Star 375 (older model).

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I was fitted by a pro - however, the boots were used (in great condition). They are Riedells Gold Star 375 (older model).

Okay, I'm really confused right now. Is there a reason you are in a boot that was designed for doubles and triples, yet you are only doing singles?
I ask, because if you weren't doing doubles/triples at one time and were put into these boots (which don't exist in the Riedell line-up anymore btw), then that could be a good part of your problem--it might be too much boot for you.

Or, you could have had them so long (and with them being used already when you got them), they could be broken down and are causing you issues for that reason.

As I said, there are a million reasons why this could be happening.

Have you always had this problem? If not then I doubt it's your climate.

sar123

Spectator
I didn’t really know anything about the skates when I got them, the fitter was ok with them though. Those are all good points, giving me lots to think about! Thanks!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I didn’t really know anything about the skates when I got them, the fitter was ok with them though. Those are all good points, giving me lots to think about! Thanks!

You're welcome. I try to help as much as possible and give back to those learning about the sport.

I was just confused when you said what boot you are in compared to your level, and it's even more mind boggling that the fitter was okay with putting you in those boots when they are over your level clearly. Rachael Flatt used to compete in those boots back in 2011 when they were popular and still in the Riedell line up, that is if your boots are really the ones I am thinking of (and that would be a 1375, also known at one point as 375 Gold star classic).

I'm a former elite competitive and now pro skater. I'm wearing boots that are as stiff as or stiffer and doing triple triples. So, you can see why I am trying to solve this puzzle for you so much. :laugh:

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Returning to the sport. . .did you have these boots before you quit? We're they stashed away somewhere?
Some food for thought from personal experience:
When I came back to the sport after taking a few years off my custom Harlicks felt like they'd shrunk. I could only skate for about 15 minutes and then my arches would cramp and I'd have to take my skates off for a few minutes.

I had them stretched at a shoe / boot shop and that helped. But my feet had also gotten wider so ultimately I had to get new boots.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Aside from potential skate fit issues, you also might be cramping because you are using your feet and the muscles in them in ways you haven't for many years. I find that as an adult, not only do I *really* need to warm up before I go on the ice, but I need to pay special attention to warming up the muscles in my feet, activating the muscles, and getting the blood flowing. If you haven't been skating in a while, you may need to re-strengthen your feet a bit and warm them up with some foot exercises first. I find some of the ballet foot warmup exercises are helpful for me, but I can get cramping still if I go too long on the ice.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Not sure if this will help you at all, but when I started skating again after a 10+ year break, I suddenly had arch pain from my skates being too narrow, a few sizes too big, and quite possibly older than I am.