COVID-19: Coping and Social Distancing | Page 4 | Golden Skate

COVID-19: Coping and Social Distancing

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Canada is the first country to pull its athletes out of the summer games. I think it is a wise move

Oh, someone thinking with their brain and not money! Yay!

Btw. the progress of epidemia in Poland is a little slower than predicted. Small win, but still :)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, that is not what Christine Brennan's article said.

Per Brennan's article, one well-known member of the IOC was speaking only for himself. Dick Pound was not speaking on behalf of the IOC, and was not making an official announcement of anything.

CBC's quote from Dick Pound, per its article as of an hour ago:

"We're all reading the tea leaves and so on, but the Japanese themselves are talking about postponing. A lot of National Olympic Committees and countries are calling for a postponement."

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/tokyo-olympics-will-be-postponed-1.5506910

According to Pound himself, he is only "reading the tea leaves."

They have to have changed the article. At the time I posted it, this is what it said:

Veteran International Olympic Committee member Dick Pound told USA TODAY Sports on Monday afternoon that the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games are going to be postponed amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“On the basis of the information the IOC has, postponement has been decided,” Pound said in a phone interview. “The parameters going forward have not been determined, but the games are not going to start on July 24, that much I know.”

Now, whether or not someone told him to shut up...I don't know. But that is what it said as of the time I posted it.

Dafna

On the Ice
do you guys think having epstein barr counts as a pre existing condition or something that could put you at higher risk?

I am not a md, but YES, you qualify in the risky group. If you are young, you can deal with it, but it will take you longer to fully recover. If you are not that young, you should be extremely careful, and leave a healthy lifestyle.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just watching the news, the mayor of New York City says if they don't get supplies by next week, people will start dying they could have saved. They were hoping to get into April but won't be able to. Conditions are so dire they are being compared to third world health care.

Dafna

On the Ice
Thank you CoyoteChris for this! Reading through the thread, I didn’t see any ideas/ways of protection. All these days researching, listening to doctors on TV, talking with friends and family I have learned and created some innovative ways of protection. I invite you to share yours here as I will share mine:
1. Use only one pair of shoes to go outside (at least for these days that the only thing we do outside, is walking).
2. NO shoes in the house. You take your shoes off and place those in a designated area at the entrance. You put those on, only in the designated area by the door. If for any reason anybody goes a bit out of “the area” (mine is tiled) I clean it right away with bleached water.
3. Coming from outside you take off the outer layer, hang it in the sun for 2,3 hours.
4. I get the mail with gloves, fliers go strait to the trash can. I put the rest of envelopes,if any (all our payments are online) for 2 min in the microwave. The heat kills everything.
5. I have disinfecting wipes in 3,4 corners of the house, one by the door. I clean keys, cell phone, remotes, door knobs, outlets etc often.
6. My last trip to the store was last Tuesday. I keep these wipes on my shopping cart and use those to open refrigerator doors. I don’t think gloves are very helpful when you will touch so many things: food, your bag, credit card, keys etc. Gloves can cross contaminate. It’s better to use the wipes or paper to touch the most possible contaminated places and then come home wash your hands. I wipe the bag, wallet, credit card.
7. I put everything on my kitchen table, unpacked the food from the original package with both my hands. Wash my hands and then with one hand touch the store container with the other one the food. Wash hands again and put everything in your container.
8. I put in plastic containers: rice, pasta, beans, anything dry. I emerged in the hot water for some minutes the bags of frozen veggies and fruit in the kitchen sink.
9. I put salads, spinach, fruit, etc in water with 3,4 Tbsp vinegar for 10 min or so. Then rinse well and use.
10. I pay extra attention in cleaning the non porous surfaces, such as glass and stainless steel, as the virus is not absorbed, but stays in solid surfaces for up to 3 days.
11. There are days we don’t drive, but when I do I wipe the steering wheel and everything inside the car.
12. I don’t use jewelry anymore. I realized I touched my earrings once in awhile, and I think rings make hand washing harder.

If I’ll remember any other I’ll write it down.
If any of you have cleaning tricks please share!!
Stay safe and healthy!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you CoyoteChris for this! Reading through the thread, I didn’t see any ideas/ways of protection. All these days researching, listening to doctors on TV, talking with friends and family I have learned and created some innovative ways of protection. I invite you to share yours here as I will share mine:
1. Use only one pair of shoes to go outside (at least for these days that the only thing we do outside, is walking).
2. NO shoes in the house. You take your shoes off and place those in a designated area at the entrance. You put those on, only in the designated area by the door. If for any reason anybody goes a bit out of “the area” (mine is tiled) I clean it right away with bleached water.
3. Coming from outside you take off the outer layer, hang it in the sun for 2,3 hours.
4. I get the mail with gloves, fliers go strait to the trash can. I put the rest of envelopes,if any (all our payments are online) for 2 min in the microwave. The heat kills everything.
5. I have disinfecting wipes in 3,4 corners of the house, one by the door. I clean keys, cell phone, remotes, door knobs, outlets etc often.
6. My last trip to the store was last Tuesday. I keep these wipes on my shopping cart and use those to open refrigerator doors. I don’t think gloves are very helpful when you will touch so many things: food, your bag, credit card, keys etc. Gloves can cross contaminate. It’s better to use the wipes or paper to touch the most possible contaminated places and then come home wash your hands. I wipe the bag, wallet, credit card.
7. I put everything on my kitchen table, unpacked the food from the original package with both my hands. Wash my hands and then with one hand touch the store container with the other one the food. Wash hands again and put everything in your container.
8. I put in plastic containers: rice, pasta, beans, anything dry. I emerged in the hot water for some minutes the bags of frozen veggies and fruit in the kitchen sink.
9. I put salads, spinach, fruit, etc in water with 3,4 Tbsp vinegar for 10 min or so. Then rinse well and use.
10. I pay extra attention in cleaning the non porous surfaces, such as glass and stainless steel, as the virus is not absorbed, but stays in solid surfaces for up to 3 days.
11. There are days we don’t drive, but when I do I wipe the steering wheel and everything inside the car.
12. I don’t use jewelry anymore. I realized I touched my earrings once in awhile, and I think rings make hand washing harder.

If I’ll remember any other I’ll write it down.
If any of you have cleaning tricks please share!!
Stay safe and healthy!

Basically, they are saying to act as if you already have it. If you can get a mask, wear it to the store. Some countries are requiring this now. This is not cleaning, but I order all my cat food online. I order my produce and some meat from imperfectfoods.com There are very few things I need to go to a store for. If you are in the US, you can also order food from Amazon Prime Pantry. I stay out of any store if at all possible. Don't forget when you get gas to use a wipe on the gas pump. If we do HAVE to go to the store, we go during senior shopping hour (BIL is 60).

Wilwarin

On the Ice
Stay at home as much as possible.
Protect yourself when it's absolutery necessary to go out. Establish steps to put on and put off protective gear.
Treat everything from outside as potentially virus contaminated. Use alcohol/wipes/soap/heat/sun to clean them.
Wash hands after touching the potentially contaminated surface.

This is basically what my father did when he ventured out to buy food and stuff around the community in Wuhan in late Jan. He even had the 'go out suit' including hat, glass, mask, jacket, trousers and shoes.
In early Feb we managed to get 2.5L 75% alcohol to wipe/spray small things which could get contaminated.
In late Feb the community said all cases were sent out to hospital/isolation. And then there were no more cases.

emipeters

Rinkside
Since the title of this thread includes the word "coping", I'm going to take this opportunity to vent.

I'm not coping.

I work in a supermarket, and this is the first day off I've had in ages. We're down to half staff now, as our vulnerable are self-isolating, whatever stock comes in is gone by mid-morning (so much so that I haven't even managed to put a weeks food by for myself, my cupboards are bare and I'm living off cereal).

My boyfriend has serious mental health issues, which have been massively triggered by these events, and believes this is a global conspiracy to isolate people in front of their televisions where they can be sitting ducks for unscrupulous advertisers. I can't get through to him, and I'm overstretched. Getting him any kind of professional help is impossible, with the NHS preparing to be overwhelmed.

I honestly don't know how to keep going.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Now, whether or not someone told him to shut up...I don't know. ...

The point was/is that nothing was official yesterday, no matter what Pound as an individual said yesterday. He was not making an official statement on behalf on the IOC (as he himself acknowledged yesterday).

This morning (Tue Mar 24), the IOC and Japan made the official decision to reschedule the 2020 Olympics.

( For more on today's official decision/announcement, see the Summer Olympics thread:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Since the title of this thread includes the word "coping", I'm going to take this opportunity to vent.

I'm not coping.

I work in a supermarket, and this is the first day off I've had in ages. We're down to half staff now, as our vulnerable are self-isolating, whatever stock comes in is gone by mid-morning (so much so that I haven't even managed to put a weeks food by for myself, my cupboards are bare and I'm living off cereal).

My boyfriend has serious mental health issues, which have been massively triggered by these events, and believes this is a global conspiracy to isolate people in front of their televisions where they can be sitting ducks for unscrupulous advertisers. I can't get through to him, and I'm overstretched. Getting him any kind of professional help is impossible, with the NHS preparing to be overwhelmed.

emipeters, big thanks to you for your valuable work at the supermarket, under the most difficult of circumstances. :thank:
I strongly hope that the managers of the market will give you a chance to purchase food for yourself. You certainly deserve it, given that you are on the front lines, helping the public get supplies.

As for your boyfriend: Do you think it would be possible to get him some professional help via online counseling?
(At least in the U.S., there seem to be some online resources that are legitimate.)
Just wanted to mention the general idea to you. I do recognize that you must be exhausted and that looking into it is easier said than done.

Sending supportive thoughts to you. :ghug:

And sending supportive thoughts to everyone else too. :ghug:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
emipeters, big thanks to you for your valuable work at the supermarket, under the most difficult of circumstances. :thank:
I strongly hope that the management of the market will give you a chance to purchase food for yourself. You certainly deserve it, given that you are on the front lines, helping the public get supplies.

As for your boyfriend: Do you think it would be possible to get him some professional help via online counseling?
(At least in the U.S., there seem to be some online resources that are legitimate.)
Just wanted to mention the general idea to you. I do recognize that you must be exhausted and that looking into it is easier said than done.

Sending supportive thoughts to you. :ghug:

And sending supportive thoughts to everyone else too. :ghug:

This whole event will have serious mental repercussions for many who dont even have normal issues...let alone those that do.....I cant imagine being cooped up in an Apartment in a big city....While I was deeply affected by 9/11, here I can pretty much walk my 4 miles a day around my ranch, working, and if I have to go out for food, I have my COPD protective masks I have to use on air planes. I have given away as many as I dare to friends who didnt stockpile some in case of volcanic action or wild fire. But its easier to social distance in the country.

I feel sometimes the web is a detriment for mental health. Someone says "Chemtrails!" and soon everyone who knows nothing about aircraft believes the govt is poisoning us all with chemicals from Commerical airliners. :(

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I live just off the Main Street of my town, am working at home, and what strikes me is how strange it is to hear NO traffic going by or sound of human activity of any kind. Just eerily quiet, maybe a bird chirping here and there!

I also agree with you, Chris, that it is better to stay off the web. Very scary.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

I'm not coping.

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, it's all any of us can do. And I'm sending you a virtual (((hug))). It's really tough for you right now but this will be over.

My husband works in food retail/delivery. A friend had an interview at a local supermarket yesterday and was told that the stockpiling that has been clearing the shelves has definitely calmed down a lot. I have no idea what last night's "lockdown" message from our glorious leader has done in relation to that, but I guess I'll find out tomorrow when Spouse goes to work for the first time in nearly 2 weeks. He's had time off because I was supposed to be in Montreal...

I'll just be glad when I can get some bread flour. I always make my own bread and it's been sold out for weeks now.

emipeters

Rinkside
Thank you everyone for your kind responses. @icecoverage - too much time online is definitely Not A Good Thing for boyfriend, so online counselling is a no go for him. However, since you suggested it, I've been thinking that it is probably a very good idea for me, so thank you!

I've had a nap, and conceived a plan for filling my shelves over the next few days, and have contacted friends to help reason with boyfriend. As WednesdayMarch said, one foot in front of the other!

I do so envy your ranch though, Chris...

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I'm not coping.

Just know that I and millions of people feel that supermarket workers are our heroes through this pandemic.

Also, tell your supervisor that you need food, he/she will help you get your supplies.

Artemisa

Final Flight
Can you stop spread nonsense?? In Russia there were more than 156.000 tests made. And we ulike many other countries made it in Russia and export to other countries and help them with coronavirus. Why not to check properly before posting??

No!! why don't you check your facts and be a little realistic.. russia does 156 000 tests...Moscow have 12 millions people more people than a lots of countries and 144 million people in total in the country (that's a fact)... that's a little drop in the ocean!! Not even saying that the positive of the test isn't very good maybe 70 % so many people have the virus and don't get positive ... And yes russia does have her own test but is not adopted by the most of European country because they need pass other kind of approval and tests... Its a virus that has a very high spread (that's a fact)... so the only way to contain if you stay at home.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
No!! why don't you check your facts and be a little realistic.. russia does 156 000 tests...Moscow have 12 millions people more people than a lots of countries and 144 million people in total in the country (that's a fact)... that's a little drop in the ocean!! Not even saying that the positive of the test isn't very good maybe 70 % so many people have the virus and don't get positive ... And yes russia does have her own test but is not adopted by the most of European country because they need pass other kind of approval and tests... Its a virus that has a very high spread (that's a fact)... so the only way to contain if you stay at home.

Please...just... don't!