2020 Worlds Results by SB score, Spots for 2021 | Golden Skate

2020 Worlds Results by SB score, Spots for 2021

haribobo

On the Ice
For what its worth, here are potential results based on SB list.

MEN-

1-10 Chen, Hanyu, Aymoz, Brown, Aliev, Jin, Cha, Nguyen, Uno, Tanaka
11-20 Danielian, Morisi, Grassl, Rizzo, Vasiljevs, Brezina, Zhou, Fentz, Selevko, Shmuratko
21+ Litvintsev, Kerry, Bychenko....

SPOTS

USA 3 to 3
JPN 3 to 3
CHN 2 to 2
RUS 2 to 2
ITA 2 to 2
CZE 2 to 1
KOR 1 to 2
CAN 1 to 2

LADIES

1-10 Kostornaia, Trusova, Shcherbakova, Kihira, Young, Tennell, Bell, Miyahara, Wakaba, Yelim
11-20 Kurakova, Paganini, Safonova, Ryabova, Schott, Peltonen, Kiibus, Urushadze, Tornaghi, Feigin
21+ Hongyi, Pineault, Bausback, Meite

SPOTS

RUS- 3 to 3
KAZ- 3 to 1
JPN - 3 to 3
USA- 2 to 3
KOR- 2 to 2
CAN- 2 to 1

PAIRS

1-10 Boikova, Sui, Tarasova, Peng, MTM, Pavliu, Cain, Calalang, DMG, Hase
11-20 Tang, Ziegler, Miura, Walsh, Hocke, Ghilardi, Barquero, Magyar, Hamon, Keriven

Spots

CHN 3 to 3
RUS 3 to 3
FRA 2 to 1
CAN 2 to 2
ITA 2 to 2
USA 2 to 2
AUT 2 to 1
GER 2 to 2

DANCE

1-10 Pap, Sin, Chock, Step, Gilles, Hubbell, Guig, Wang, Fear, Hawayek
11-20 Lajoie, Smart, Zagorski, Laur, Kaliszek, Souc, Reed, Nazarova, Kazakova, Muller

Spots

RUS 3 to 3
USA 3 to 3
CAN 3 to 2
FRA 2 to 2
ITA 2 to 2
GBR 1 to 2
CHN 1 to 2

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
The whole point of the Worlds, of course, was to give every skater participating the chance to play the game one last time and see what happens.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Well, that is a very interesting list. Using the SB scores but based on Worlds entries. It does seem much more like what we would have predicted to see at Worlds than if one were to use the full SB list or the GPF results. Our predictions would undoubtedly have been wrong in some or many cases, but since we have these scores and we have the Worlds entries, this method does seem truer to the normal process than either of the other methods.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
season's best? why are lolo and nik so low? they did compete in nebelhorn with a very high score... shouldn't that put them ahead of some other teams or did you not count challengers for SB? just wondering... which is silly since it's already a just for fun thread.. but eh...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
nk Name Country Event Date Score Level
1 Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON FRA ISU GP NHK Trophy 2019 23/11/2019 226.61 S
2 Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV RUS ISU European Championships 2020 25/01/2020 220.42 S
3 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA ISU Four Continents Championships 2020 07/02/2020 213.18 S
4 Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN RUS ISU European Championships 2020 25/01/2020 211.29 S
5 Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER CAN ISU Four Continents Championships 2020 07/02/2020 210.18 S
6 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA ISU GP Skate America 2019 19/10/2019 209.55 S
7 Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI ITA ISU European Championships 2020 25/01/2020 205.58 S
8 Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN CAN ISU CS Nebelhorn Trophy 2019 28/09/2019 201.00 S

LALALA 5+ 8 = CANADA keps 3 spots :)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
season's best? why are lolo and nik so low? they did compete in nebelhorn with a very high score... shouldn't that put them ahead of some other teams or did you not count challengers for SB? just wondering... which is silly since it's already a just for fun thread.. but eh...

I believe Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen are not on this particular list because they were out with injury & not going to attend Worlds. I believe the list above only ranks athletes on the Worlds entries list by SB scores. (Hence there are only a maximum of 3 athletes per country on this list & no junior skaters--though some will be age eligible next season). Only athletes that would really have been at Worlds are listed here. Also athletes like Hurtado & Khaliavin, who had the highest SB score for Spain, are not listed here because they would not have been at Worlds.

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
My suspicion is that they’ll still use the quotas earned at 2019 worlds for 2021.

I do think sb/WS would come in to play if they want to rank skaters to seed for the gp series.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
My prediction - calling it right now, folks - is that they won't use SB, or SB, or WR or anything like that but will find some complicated, ridiculous and barely comprehensible mishmash of the combined data to ensure that the skaters end up pretty much where the wheeling and dealing wants them...

Honestly, has any sporting body ever taken a simple path when a labyrinth of thorns and squabbles became available?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I believe Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen are not on this particular list because they were out with injury & not going to attend Worlds. I believe the list above only ranks athletes on the Worlds entries list by SB scores. (Hence there are only a maximum of 3 athletes per country on this list & no junior skaters--though some will be age eligible next season). Only athletes that would really have been at Worlds are listed here. Also athletes like Hurtado & Khaliavin, who had the highest SB score for Spain, are not listed here because they would not have been at Worlds.

well...anyone can make a thread with rules to make things go whatever way :) so the thread starter most likely dd as you have explained ... so consider MY thread based on worlds SB ;) and canada keeps its ice dance spots.... btw... if Nik and Lolo had just waited a couple more days, worlds would have been canceled before they announce anything...

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
well...anyone can make a thread with rules to make things go whatever way :) so the thread starter most likely dd as you have explained ... so consider MY thread based on worlds SB ;) and canada keeps its ice dance spots.... btw... if Nik and Lolo had just waited a couple more days, worlds would have been canceled before they announce anything...

I have considered it. The previous season's results may be used or the ordinary SB scores may be used or the WS scores may be used or the GPF results may be used. Personally, I happen to like this list better than those because I don't know that Russia needs a bunch of extra berths or that the Canadian ladies need two spots or that the Kazakh ladies need three. I'd rather see the Canadian men at this stage have their two spots this season and a shot at 3 during the Olympic year. Canada could potentially have three men who are capable of the top ten by then. And while it stinks that Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen were injured this season, two berths would still be enough to get them into Worlds and Canada would still have a shot at three berths for dance in the Olympic season. Lajoie & Lagha are competitive, but they aren't notably more competitive than many dance teams that won't have a guaranteed berth next season so it isn't a tragedy if they miss a Worlds and have to aim for Nebelhorn during the Olympic year.

But I don't have any reason to think the ISU will actually use the Worlds entries + SB scores to select next year's seeds so we may indeed have the list you are hoping for.

It's not going to help my favorite dancers, regardless;). They have to get through the obstacle course that is U.S. Nationals.

ruga

Final Flight
Maybe we could sort out things with GP standings? After all, it's basically as strong as Worlds. The Worlds results could be simulated by removing skaters above 3 per country limit.
Ladies:

1 Alena KOSTORNAIA
2 Alexandra TRUSOVA
3 Anna SHCHERBAKOVA
4 Rika KIHIRA
5 Bradie TENNELL
6 Satoko MIYAHARA
7 Mariah BELL
8 Young YOU
9 Kaori SAKAMOTO
10 Eunsoo LIM
11 Amber GLENN
12 Ekaterina RYABOVA
3 spots for Russia, US and Japan, 2 spots for Korea. Skaters above get 2 GP spots.

Men:
1 Yuzuru HANYU
2 Nathan CHEN
3 Alexander SAMARIN
4 Dmitri ALIEV
5 Kevin AYMOZ
6 Boyang JIN
7 Nam NGUYEN
8 Jason BROWN
9 Keiji TANAKA
10 Keegan MESSING
11 Matteo RIZZO
12 Makar IGNATOV
3 spots for Russia, US and Japan, 2 for Canada, China and France.

Pairs:
1 Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN
2 Aleksandra BOIKOVA / Dmitrii KOZLOVSKII
3 Cheng PENG / Yang JIN
4 Anastasia MISHINA / Aleksandr GALLIAMOV
5 Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Michael MARINARO
6 Daria PAVLIUCHENKO / Denis KHODYKIN
7 Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER
8 Liubov ILYUSHECHKINA / Charlie BILODEAU
9 Ashley CAIN-GRIBBLE / Timothy LEDUC
10 Miriam ZIEGLER / Severin KIEFER
11 Jessica CALALANG / Brian JOHNSON
12 Minerva Fabienne HASE / Nolan SEEGERT
3 for China, Russia and Canada, 2 for USA, Austria.

Dance:
1 Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON
2 Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV
3 Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER
4 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE
5 Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN
6 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES
7 Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI
8 Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN
9 Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON
10 Sara HURTADO / Kirill KHALIAVIN
11 Olivia SMART / Adrian DIAZ
12 Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER
3 for USA, Russia and Canada, 2 for Spain, France and UK

The spots are a bit flawed since many skaters that could have competed at Worlds did not get GP spots, but better for counting results since standings are based on placements of the GP event and there are usually two of them, so a bit more objective than taking just one result which could be earned in a competition with questionable judging.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
It's a possibility.

2 spots for Korea and USA.

How are you determining the number of spots? I'm just asking because on your list you have the U.S. ladies at less than 13 points but listed them for 2 rather than 3.

It is a possible means of determining berths. The problem I have with using GP rankings is the same as I always have with determining GP spots. GP invites allow host countries to not only invite their own top athletes but to determine those athletes' competition, while athletes like Yelim Kim were skipped over and skipped over and skipped over again rather than invited. If the GP invitations started straight from the top and worked their way down, I would be a lot more comfortable with this.

ruga

Final Flight
It's a possibility.

How are you determining the number of spots? I'm just asking because on your list you have the U.S. ladies at less than 13 points but listed them for 2 rather than 3.

It is a possible means of determining berths. The problem I have with using GP rankings is the same as I always have with determining GP spots. GP invites allow host countries to not only invite their own top athletes but to determine those athletes' competition, while athletes like Yelim Kim were skipped over and skipped over and skipped over again rather than invited. If the GP invitations started straight from the top and worked their way down, I would be a lot more comfortable with this.

Ah yes. It should be 3 for US ladies, somehow missed Bradie in the list. The system is the same as in Worlds, the only problem is that some countries have less spots in GP than in Worlds so it can alter the standings a bit.

Elspeth

Rinkside
Why not just make an exception for 2021 and give all countries 3 spots (subject to tech minimums), bring back the qualifying round based on SB and make worlds a little longer?

People who would be at the top would still be at the top, and countries who might have missed out have a chance to increase their Olympic spots.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Now that is a great suggestion!!!! (QR rounds).

But it still leaves open the question of GP seeding. The GP based list is very hard on skaters who peaked later for Euros/4CCs/Worlds.

It is bad for Dmitri Aliev, Jason Brown, and Chock & Bates for example.

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Now that is a great suggestion!!!! (QR rounds).

I like it too:).

Logistically, we didn't used to have qualifying rounds in dance & pairs, did we? But we could have larger RD fields & pairs SP fields.

This would make the Spanish dance fans very happy;).

To be fair, I don't know how much money was lost by cancelling Worlds, but I can see that monetary concerns are very likely to be even more real next season than they were this year.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
The spots are a bit flawed since many skaters that could have competed at Worlds did not get GP spots, but better for counting results since standings are based on placements of the GP event and there are usually two of them, so a bit more objective than taking just one result which could be earned in a competition with questionable judging.

I think its unfair to just take GP standings, since many did not get the opportunity to compete on the GP, or were injured at that time. The SB list is also based on many competitions, not one. Its the best performance of a skater throughout the season, which seems more fair than basing it off of just two competitions that some weren't allowed to go to. Yes some competitions had some inflated scores, but for the most part more skaters had the opportunity to compete at an "inflated" competition than skaters who had the opportunity to compete on the GP. It seems pretty fair to me to use a compilation of every competition rather than just a compilation of the GPs. And its not like GP events don't have inconsistent scoring too. Not to mention, GP standings rely on the depth of the fields. Some 4th/5th place scores from some GPs could've resulted in 2nd/3rd place in other GP events. So even though their is some inconsistency in the SB list, its far lest inconsistent than the GP standings in my opinion. And probably the best way to determine a ranking of season performance.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have considered it. The previous season's results may be used or the ordinary SB scores may be used or the WS scores may be used or the GPF results may be used. Personally, I happen to like this list better than those because I don't know that Russia needs a bunch of extra berths or that the Canadian ladies need two spots or that the Kazakh ladies need three. I'd rather see the Canadian men at this stage have their two spots this season and a shot at 3 during the Olympic year. Canada could potentially have three men who are capable of the top ten by then. And while it stinks that Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen were injured this season, two berths would still be enough to get them into Worlds and Canada would still have a shot at three berths for dance in the Olympic season. Lajoie & Lagha are competitive, but they aren't notably more competitive than many dance teams that won't have a guaranteed berth next season so it isn't a tragedy if they miss a Worlds and have to aim for Nebelhorn during the Olympic year.

But I don't have any reason to think the ISU will actually use the Worlds entries + SB scores to select next year's seeds so we may indeed have the list you are hoping for.

It's not going to help my favorite dancers, regardless;). They have to get through the obstacle course that is U.S. Nationals.

I thought I saw Canada named the Canadanes/Danadians to the world team? They waited til after 4ccs to find out how they were doing and then it was a yes? I guess things changed not that it really matters now. Sadly SF have been going downhill.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Why not just make an exception for 2021 and give all countries 3 spots (subject to tech minimums), bring back the qualifying round based on SB and make worlds a little longer?

People who would be at the top would still be at the top, and countries who might have missed out have a chance to increase their Olympic spots.

I don't even think you'd need a QR. Just have a really long SP.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I thought I saw Canada named the Canadanes/Danadians to the world team? They waited til after 4ccs to find out how they were doing and then it was a yes? I guess things changed not that it really matters now.

Yes, Canada named F-B&S to the World team. Then F-B&S withdrew. I don't know if things changed or if things just did not change as quickly as SC and F-B&S had hoped. (It's knee surgery. I can't think of a team that has come back from it as fast as F-B&S were hoping to come back from it).

S&F had a very challenging time this season, but technically, they are in the same place they were before as far as the Canadian dance hierarchy is concerned. Other teams just moved into the federation and up into seniors ahead of them.