Sasha's Romeo & Juliet | Golden Skate

Sasha's Romeo & Juliet

Peggy

On the Ice
Did anyone else watching Europeans today think that the R&J portions of Susanna Pöykiö long program was like Sasha's choreography to that music?

That is one of my favorite Sasha programs and I've watched it alot. I thought Susanna's was like Sasha's choreography--especially the arm movements.

Fossi

Final Flight
I wouldn't be surprised to see Sasha skate to R&J as her LP for next season. She has a history of re-using program quite often and she has already brought back R&J for her exhibition again this season. My money is on Sasha using this yet again for her LP next year. I be she'll load it with beillmans and have herself a "new" World Record.

Hikaru

Final Flight
I know Sasha has repeated SP before but I don't remember her repeating FS that much. In 2002 she had the Carmen program, then in 2003 was the Rachmaninoff, 2004 was the Swan Lake year, and this year is Nutcracker. Did she repeated an old FS in the Grand Prix,maybe? (I couldn't watch the series in the previous years so I don't know about that, I heard once that she might use the R/J for the GP, but that was in 2003 I think). Now that the Biellmann is mention, I haven't seen her using that spin, don't know if it is because she cannot do it or she doesn't want to do it. She does some sort of catch-foot spin, that at the beginning looks like she was going to do a B-spin, but actually the leg is more extended, instead of the twisted position of the Biellmann, but I think it looks fine when well-executed.

Emilie Hughes has a wonderful cut of Sleeping Beauty. If Sasha is hung up on Tsaikowsy's ballets this would be the only one she hasn't used, and Emilie's cut is very skateable. I think Sasha would do a wonderful job with that.

Otherwise her movie version music of R&J is excellent for her. In the Portland Exhibion despite the falls, she moved to that music with a lot of feeling.

Joe

Hikaru

Final Flight
Peggy said:
If she can do this without holding her foot-I really don't think she will have any problems doing a Biellmann.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/even...tent/events/200304/campbellsclassic/pics1.htm

You might have to cut and paste the link to get it all.

That is a gorgeous pic! Then my guess is that she doesn't want to do it, because here it is clear that she could do it (I love the position of the arms and leg!). I still like when she does that catch-foot spin (I don't know if it's the right name for it), it looks really lovely.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Sasha's Romeo & Juliet program is lovely indeed and one of my favorites. I think Sasha really does justice to Ballet music - Tchaikovsky in particular. I would love to see her skate to the Rose piece from the Sleeping Beauty ballet. I am sure Sasha would have no trouble with a Bileman spin. I think she does the best spiral in the business of all the female skaters. This picture shows a lovely stance.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't see Sasha adopting Irina's Bielmann spiral, even if it does get more points. Why? Sasha does not have Irina's strong edging, and if Sasha put herself in the Bielmann for a spiral, she'd get very less ice coverage and probably would not be able to execute the edge change Irina does and stay on the second edge the requisite time.

Irina gets GOEs of 1 and the occasional 2 for her Level3 Bielmann spiral because she gets good ice coverage and can manage the COE. I am not sure Sasha would even get the level3 rating, and if she didn't get good ice coverage, she might get -GOE.

The movie background music of R&J allows Sasha to show off her exquisite flexibility. The Prokofiev ballet music would be too dramatic for her. I don't see Sasha as a skater with dramatic music. Sasha has never shown a dramatic performance that I can remember.

Joe

MKbeauty

Rinkside
re: Bielman

When Sasha was with Tatiana, she said she was working on a Biellman spin; however, she never put more than the 1/2 biellman in her programs. I've often wondered why. I know the spin is awefully hard on the back; Denise B. talked about how long it took her to warm-up in order to perform the spin.

Lucy25

Final Flight
Peggy said:
If she can do this without holding her foot-I really don't think she will have any problems doing a Biellmann.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/even...tent/events/200304/campbellsclassic/pics1.htm

You might have to cut and paste the link to get it all.

I remember when this picture was released it created quite a stir because people could not figure out when she did this move. I believe it was decided that Sasha is in the process of lowering her leg from some move and the camera caught her just at this moment.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, I remember her doing this. This was from the Campbell's competition, which I saw live. The upward arms are supposed to be "wings".

TT's "Swan Lake" program underwent many changes after Campbell's.

I think it's correct that Sasha probably would not attempt a true Bielmann if it caused back problems. As flexible as she is, the flexibility seems to be in her hip joints, not in her back.

When she does the spin at the end of her program where she pulls her leg in, toward her face, her back is rounded. When other skaters have done this same move, the back is straight. I just don't think Sasha's back has the ability to curve out rather than in, which is what is needed for the Bielmann.

Linny

Final Flight
Copy

Sasha appears to have a history of seeing someone else use music and then deciding to use it herself. Sarah did Rach, Sasha did shortly after. AP did R&J, Sasha did short after. Or so it appeared to me.

Meaning, oops, I hope she does see Emily doing Sleeping Beauty.

Hope she finds her own music and with it, her muse.

Linny

Hikaru

Final Flight
chuckm I think it's correct that Sasha probably would not attempt a true Bielmann if it caused back problems. As flexible as she is said:
ITA, although Sasha has awesome flexibility, I think it is in certain areas of her back (she really lays her back in the layback spin, I love it!), but most of her flexibility is on the hips as you said. I have seen pictures of Sasha in a Biellmann position (but I think they are still pictures). Lemme see if I can find it.

here it is:
http://www.sasha-cohen.org/

anyway, I agree that if she has her back problems the position could be uncomfortable as her flexibility is not so much on her back. It is like when she does the ina bauer she gets a little arch compared to Shizuka who has a more flexible back and has a deeper arch on the move.

Lucy25 said:
I remember when this picture was released it created quite a stir because people could not figure out when she did this move. I believe it was decided that Sasha is in the process of lowering her leg from some move and the camera caught her just at this moment.
chuckm said:
No, I remember her doing this. This was from the Campbell's competition, which I saw live. The upward arms are supposed to be "wings".
I'm glad you can verify that move, Chuck, because to me it looks flat out impossible! Why would anyone want to do a Biellmann if you can do a "no hands Biellmann?"

The one posted by Hikaru -- is that a real skating shot, or is it posed?

Anyway, both pictures are works of art.:love:

Mathman

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Also, just becuase you can do a beilmann standing still or skating forward on a flat, doesn't mean that you can do it spinning or on a curve. Perhaps Sasha isn't able to do it with that much movement.

Peggy

On the Ice
BravesSkateFan said:
Also, just becuase you can do a beilmann standing still or skating forward on a flat, doesn't mean that you can do it spinning or on a curve. Perhaps Sasha isn't able to do it with that much movement.

You might be right but I've never seen a skater than can spin as well as Sasha, in so many different positions, so I seriously doubt that she can not do a beilmann.

Peggy said:
You might be right but I've never seen a skater than can spin as well as Sasha, in so many different positions, so I seriously doubt that she can not do a beilmann.
Not to put Sasha down because I think her spins are super but different positions have to go to Lucinda and Stephane. Am I correct?

Joe

bdreampixie

On the Ice
I'm not sure if Lambiel has that much variety in his spin positions, but "who cares?" as Dick would say. His spins are the most exciting I have seen from any man. I love his headless scratch spin. Ruh, of course is the greatest spinner ever. Amazing!

Re: Sasha and the biellman, most likely it is because of her back. The speed puts so much pressure on the body, that with a position like that its asking for trouble. Ruh has mentioned before the fact that her spins have caused her many injuries.

soogar

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Not to put Sasha down because I think her spins are super but different positions have to go to Lucinda and Stephane. Am I correct?

Joe

I think Sasha is better than Lambiel b/c while she doesn't spin as fast, she does change positions AND spins on edges, plus her spins stay centered. Lambiel travels all over the place on his spins though they are so exciting.