2020 Peggy Fleming Trophy contingency plan as "virtual" competition | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2020 Peggy Fleming Trophy contingency plan as "virtual" competition

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My highlights were Jason, Andrew, Karen, Emmanuel and Courtney. Plus Dolensky's final spin. :)

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
This could be the future of figure skating competitions. Skaters recorded their programs at their own rink and their videos were submitted to event organizers to be assessed by a judging panel. In this way, we can mitigate risks associated with Covid-19. Jason Brown won the competition with a score of 129.20. His practice rink has a lot of mirrors.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Jason...such a beautiful bit of skating. He is so musical. Deserved winner, I think. Never mind that I don't understand the scoring, his skate was just so wonderful. Andrew was also very impressive. Another very musical skater. I had never seen Emmanuel before (though I had heard of him) and I really enjoyed his skate too. Tomoki was great as well. A pity though that the ladies couldn't get to the level. Definitely some nice skates, but not up to par with the top 5 men. My opinion only!

This could be the future of figure skating competitions. Skaters recorded their programs at their own rink and their videos were submitted to event organizers to be assessed by a judging panel. In this way, we can mitigate risks associated with Covid-19. Jason Brown won the competition with a score of 129.20. His practice rink has a lot of mirrors.

If the ISU does decide to put on some virtual competitions, I think one direction they could go in is to fancy up the rinks to take people's minds off the fact that there is no live audience. Some lights and scenery could add a touch that would make it look less like a practice session. Maybe put up a few advertising signs along the boards for a touch of realism. :laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm. Literal chills. That had to have been filmed within a day or two of him getting out of a 14 day quarantine and. It was so exquisite. oh my god. he keeps getting better. he just. wow. Jason. wow.

Also, Emmanuel was robbed. (I'd have had him above Dolensky at least.) But Andrew T was great!

sallyhatchet

Rinkside
It was so nice to watch new skating! I really applaud them for trying this out and I hope some other competitions will do this as well, I think it went really well especially considering it was the first of its kind. Also, this was my first time watching the Peggy Fleming Trophy and I really enjoyed it, I'd love to see more competitions with unconventional rules.

Jason Brown unsurprisingly completely stole my heart with this program <3. I can't get over how amazing he was.

I like that we kind of got to see everyone at their best due to the video format. I really enjoyed nearly everyone. That being said PERSONALLY my favorites were Jason, Tomoki, Emmanuel, and Starr. I LOVED Tomoki's music choice, and I'd never seen Emmanuel before and am definitely a new fan.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I said it last year and I'll say it again this year, any comp where Jason and Andrew T. finish one-two is my kind of comp:)

Starting with the completely mundane, I am loving the longer hair on the guys, and Andrew, you do not need to grease it back. Just let those long bangs do their thing:yes:

Both Andrew and Jason completely drawing you into the performance, even filmed with a phone at a practice rink. In each, I couldn't wait to see what their next move was, so caught up with the flow. And with so little practice time, all of the skaters, very well done:clap:

And on a macro scale, I can now see holding virtual skating events without audiences, and I hope they find a way to do that this year. These skates just reminded me of all the junior men comps, one feed for the music so you can't hear the audience and no one in the stands:laugh:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Jason fans, I need to know if that is one of his upcoming competitive programs or exhibition only. I LOVED it!:love:

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
I would just like to say that I thought this event was a huge success! I loved the virtual concept and the way the even was carried out. Take notes, ISU. I think the Grand Prix could be held in a similar way this year, to keep the athletes safe but allow them to compete. Kudos to Peggy, the people that helped put this event together, and to all the skaters and coaches that participated! Well done, I hope we can see more virtual competitions this season as the coronavirus makes live events difficult to hold.

Ross74

Medalist
Stupid me, I've been looking all over for a group picture of the competitors like we had last year. :palmf:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Jason fans, I need to know if that is one of his upcoming competitive programs or exhibition only. I LOVED it!:love:

I have no idea but I sorely hope it is! I know Rohene choreographed him two different SPs for this season based on what sort of notice they might get for competing.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice

Like Karne said, he hasn't said what his SP or FS are yet, all we know is Rohene did 2 SPs, one of which was "super difficult". However I would LOVE to see this adapted as a long programme because it was mesmerising :love:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I have no idea but I sorely hope it is! I know Rohene choreographed him two different SPs for this season based on what sort of notice they might get for competing.

Jason's PFT program is (a version of) one of his two SPs, per McCarvel's update (with Friday night's results) for the Olympic Channel.

Brown said "Melancholy" is one of two short programs he's choreographed for the coming season.

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/s...-virtual-figure-skating-peggy-fleming-trophy/ (Jul 17)​

Congratulations to Jason, Torgashev, and Dolensky. :bow:

Did y’all watch Savary?!?! He was GORGEOUS! ...

I think Savary was my very favorite performance of the night. :luv17:

And I enjoyed many of the others too.

Audrey Shin brought a tear to my eye -- and not only because her program was the first one.

icetug

Medalist
Just stopped the watching for a while to share my excitement about Tomoki's music choice as I dreamed for years somebody uses the "Cowboy Bebop" OST :luv17: And he's great in this program!

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Just stopped the watching for a while to share my excitement about Tomoki's music choice as I dreamed for years somebody uses the "Cowboy Bebop" OST :luv17: And he's great in this program!

Oh, really? I hadn’t planned on watching any of this event, but sounds like I have no choice now. ;-)

chanchan

On the Ice
Andrew T! Very musical :hap93:
I also like Tomoki's music choice and choreography.:luv17:
Dolensky's skating is just a masterpiece.:clap:

icetug

Medalist
Seriously I don't know how Jason did it - his performance looks like being recorded with a special smoothing filter... The flow, the lightness, the ease of his motion are incredible. Beautiful program that underlines all of his strenghts. Perfection, no less.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
It was so great to see some new skating! :) I thought that the video quality was quite good overall, given the circumstances (although I wished that they had shut the doors going onto the rinks - They were open in most videos).

I thoroughly enjoyed Tomoki's program and music. I just wish that he would perform facially a bit more.

Jason's performance was the standout for sure. He is made for competitions like this. Everything that he does so well is emphasized and valued.

I also really enjoyed Emmanuel's program. He has lovely arms and spins well.

It was also nice to see some skaters whom I did not know. I quite liked Sonja's program, as it had some interesting moves.

Hopefully there will be some more virtual competitions this year. :)