Trouble with Hips | Golden Skate

Trouble with Hips

Debi K

Spectator
I seem to have trouble with my flip jump. I cannot seem to get my hips to move quick enough and land 3/4 to 7/8s around. I have been working with weights to strenghten my muscles in that area. Needless to say my right knee is suffering. I want to move on to my lutz but I can't until I conquer the flip. Any suggestions?

Petlover

On the Ice
Deb,
I don't have my flip yet, but most of the kids who do said they initially got it by thinking of doing it like a loop. It kind of makes sense, your entry edge is left back inside, but when you do the quick right toe in, jump around that right toe - like a loop - instead of the left back edge.

Some of the coaches, including mine, like this approach, some hate it and say it's wrong. Before trying it, check with your coach to see what she/he thinks.

Good luck!
Marcia

Glacierskater

On the Ice
It sounds more like timing to me. A flip is a big or little as you make it. I struggled with mine for a long time. I picked up a new secondary coach and he had it straightened out in one lesson. I started out doing in small, and it blossomed into a larger and decent jump. You have to make sure that the timing on the pick is right and that you are getting over the rotating hip, and not fighting the rest of your body. Try doing some backspins to warm up your jumps as well. It will get you in the mindset for rotating over the jumping hip.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Practice doing Waltz jumps this will help you get the jumping technique needed for a flip. Make sure you check your hip when you jump. This could be your problem.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Lad-Just wondering how a waltz jump can help with a flip jump. A waltz jump takes off on an edge, while the flip takes off from the toe pick.

Hunnie12892

Spectator
I used to have trouble with my flip, but what i try to do is when you are turned around getting ready to tap in try to strach your leg out as far as it can go with out your toe pick sliding and use you other leg (not taped in) really hard and lift up as high as u can. I dont kno if it will help you, but it worked for me.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
It sounds like you are jumping too early, and therefore unable to get into the proper position. When you reach back, you need to wait to jump. That way your front knee will have the proper bend to help spring you into the air and rotate. I had this problem for a while with the lutz, and I literally had to tell myself wait, wait....

It's hard to explain in writing.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
dlkksk8fan said:
Lad-Just wondering how a waltz jump can help with a flip jump. A waltz jump takes off on an edge, while the flip takes off from the toe pick.

Helps a skater get comfortable with jumping. It's a good basic jump to warm up with. Also doing a basic jump helps a skater to practice checking their arms and hips before moving on to a harder jump. Just a suggestion.