New ISU rules for the upcoming season | Page 10 | Golden Skate

New ISU rules for the upcoming season

halulupu

Final Flight
We could call this changes also antitukta law. she is the biggest looser (Layback level, lutz downgrade, q thing...)
and by the way: her 4t is very borderline toe axel to me

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
I have to correct you. anna will not got -3 but if the new full blade rule applied correctly 0, or +1 Goe. Why? she gets +1 goe for hard transition,
+1 for arms, +1 for lenght/hight, +1 for eforttless throughout. so its +4 - 3 = +1.
She should not receive a bullet for lenght and height though. Her jumps are small and do not have much distance. They are pretty much a dead end.
Nor she should receive a bullet for effortless throughout with her excessive pre-rotation. What is so effortless about that?

halulupu

Final Flight
She should not receive a bullet for lenght and height though. Her jumps are small and do not have much distance. They are pretty much a dead end.
Nor she should receive a bullet for effortless throughout with her excessive pre-rotation. What is so effortless about that?

her 4lz has very good lengh and good hight and a lot of speed. IMO she deserves that bullet point. But I agree with you she should get punished for take off with -3. depending if you give efortless or not its still 0 or +1.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I would not give the effortless bullet due to the fact that she windmills her arms with her upper body bent almost parallel to the ice to generate the rotation. But the quad lutz definitely gets the height and distance bullet. Her triple combos, not so much (specifically distance in the combos)

shine

Record Breaker
ACTUAL loop takes off one leg. Using floopz technique does not effectively turn the lutz into loop beacuse they take off both legs. So it's like loop but from two legs.
So no, 4Lo is not that much easier. TBH I think it depends on a skater. One prefers loop, one lutz, so there's no point in discussing which one is harder because none are easy when it comes to quads.
What you are calling a "floop" also takes off on one leg - the last leg that leaves the ice, which in this case is the right foot for the counterclockwise majority. No jumps take off on both legs. So I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

Personally I think it's a great idea to equalize them.
That goes without saying.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
What you are calling a "floop" also takes off on one leg - the last leg that leaves the ice, which in this case is the right foot for the counterclockwise majority. No jumps take off on both legs. So I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

That goes without saying.

I agree no jump is meant to take off two feet.
But point of observation some younger skaters get bad technique for double toe jumps where they almost take off from two feet. Dont see it with senior skaters as almost impossible to get momentum and height for triples.
Just making interesting post unrelated to conversation just because people might be curious.

I bet that Anna isn't going to get any GOE deduction for take-off

I agree. Next year she will face the same judges that gave her 4Lz combination +3s across the board at Grad Prix Final and Europeans. I do not think that the new rules will make any difference.

McBibus

On the Ice
I haven't been so angry at a set of rule-changes in a long time. Further angry to come on my lunch break.

For now I'll just say, pathetic, ISU, pathetic, to listen to the screaming of a bunch of crybaby whiny fans.

I'm not addressing you in particular, since you're not the first talkig about "the fans".

Do you really think ISU listen to the fans?
I would look more on federations politic.

I think (may be wrong) that ISU don't care about the fans opinion so much.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
https://youtu.be/FD_f_k2iQtY
Great Alexia Paganini! This girl deserves +5 GOE!!!

Alexia's lutz is the most underrated jump of all time imo. Love it.

That is very interesting. I always assumed that it would be the toe-pick jumps where timing would be the more delicate. It seems like timing the pick-in with rotation of the upper body would require great precision with no wiggle room for error. (?)

Again, it's just my opinion and I base it a little on my own experience as a skater. If I mistime the loop, it dies instantly, when I mistime the lutz somehow, I can still muscle it through by force. Works for me like that :)

All jumps take off from one leg, though. :scratch2: After all, it's not like you push yourself off your skating leg on toe jumps, you just travel across the ice on it and then use the picking leg to vault yourself up, so the upwards force comes entirely from that picking leg.

Also, by your logic, Salchow would be considered more difficult as Flip and Lutz as well, since it's also an edge jump that takes of 'purely' from one leg (going by your definition of 'one leg').

For what it's worth, when I first checked out the base values for the different jumps (ranging from singles to quads), I always assumed the order was based on the amount of rotation each jump has in the air. The more rotation has to be completed in the air, the higher the BV of a jump.

Single Toe and Sal by the very nature of their take-offs usually end up having about 180° in the air, it can be more, depending on your technique. Flip and Lutz ideally would have closer to 360° (Lutz having even higher BV because of the added difficulty of its counter-rotation). The Loop is kinda in-between, since its take-off is somewhat pre-rotated similar to the Sal, but less so.
All of this was just based on my observations of these jumps and also my own experience when learning them.

Of course, that was before I saw people pre-rotate their Flips and Lutzes by so much, that they pretty much contradicted all of my assumptions (on the other side, there's also a few skaters who manage to pre-rotate their Toes by so little, that they actually manage to take off more or less backwards, so there's the other extreme as well).

This is also the reason why I always felt pre-rotation on Flip and Lutz should be penalised, because I always felt like it doesn't deserve the higher BV (which in my mind was a reward for more rotation completed in the air).

Well, essentially yes, however the toe-assisted jumps are - as their name says - assisted by the toe while edge jumps are half-assisted with the free leg. And while it's not encouraged to propel yourself into air with both legs performing lutz or flip this is what the quad teenagers are doing by turning lutz/flip into a floopz they push themselves of ice with both legs, making it much easier to achieve good height and the toe or rather full-blade assist allows them to pre-rotate a lot to make the rotation. I mean, I wonder why Aleksandra, whom I honestly admire, has so much trouble with 4Sal since she grew and doesn't even try the 4Lo. I think it's because those jumps can't be cheated. And I think this problem is not only in ladies, Aliev's and Zhou's 4Lz are the same, so why Yuzuru or Daniel Grassl should get less points for their 4Lo than Aliev for his prerotated 4Lz? That's why I consider it a good idea, UNLESS the judges are willing to penalize prerotation. Then leave the BV alone and it's fine by me.

However, this is just my opinion :) based on various facts from say last 5 years of following figure skating closely.

Krasnozhon still attempts 4Lo regularly, and Tomono said he's putting it into his programs now. Here's a nice one he did in practice. Nathan said in an interview last month that he plans on bringing it back as well.
You're right, I forgot Krasnozhon :) As for Nathan, I just remembered his words from an after competition conference quite some time ago, I believe it could be more than a year ago. Maybe he got it more stable so it would make sense to bring it back :) Nathan is a very gifted jumper so I wouldn't be surprised :)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'd guess that Eteri Tutberidze (who isn't even a skater) probably has the nearest fan base in size... and these changes do seem to be to her benefit. Not that Russian fans had anything to do with the decision.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I'd guess that Eteri Tutberidze (who isn't even a skater) probably has the nearest fan base in size... and these changes do seem to be to her benefit. Not that Russian fans had anything to do with the decision.

You underestimate Japanese fan base. Russia has become increasingly less engaged in skating and Japan increasingly more.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
How so? Didn't they start to sell tickets for test skate?

Test skates are very important to see who goes to internationals.

Anyways I digress. Lets take A different skater e.g Jason Brown.
If everybody was a jason brown fan they would want ISU to value quads much lower. It would be bad for ISU just to listen to them.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
As I said many times already - Anna rotates a big part of her lutz on the ice and not in the air (the way it should be). So, yes, her lutz GOE should be -3 because of her excessive lutz pre-rotation. :) And then she should be deducted also for her lutz flat edge. :)
Unlike her, Paganini has minimal lutz pre-rotation and perfect ouside edge. Go Alexia!!!
Edit: Honestly, I will be enraged If Shcherbakova does not receive -3 GOE on her lutz! She is the most perfect example of excessive pre-rotation!!!

Its not possible to recieve -3 GOE just because your take off is not good/perfect. Final negative GOE is given for very bad landings, or if a jump has multiple big mistakes as visible underotation and wrong edge at the same time for example. Poor take off or whatever you wanna call it was never considered as that big mistake from the time figure skating exists, unless you start to jump complitely facing forward (as in axel jump) in which case that jump is downgraded. Jump with 'not good take off' can 'easily' get +3 GOE if other parts of the jump as trajectory of the jump (air time) and landing are very good and jump is connected with the programme, through the music and skating patterns. If you are basing your decision only on what is not good about the jump, that simply means you are not a good judge :)

1111bm

Final Flight
Well, essentially yes, however the toe-assisted jumps are - as their name says - assisted by the toe while edge jumps are half-assisted with the free leg. And while it's not encouraged to propel yourself into air with both legs performing lutz or flip this is what the quad teenagers are doing by turning lutz/flip into a floopz they push themselves of ice with both legs, making it much easier to achieve good height and the toe or rather full-blade assist allows them to pre-rotate a lot to make the rotation. I mean, I wonder why Aleksandra, whom I honestly admire, has so much trouble with 4Sal since she grew and doesn't even try the 4Lo. I think it's because those jumps can't be cheated.

I would think, that you could jump a cheated two-footed Salchow or Loop just as well. The free leg is right there, touching the ice on a loop. So much so, that non-skating casual viewers often think it is actually jumped off two legs, because they're not aware that there's no weight on it.
Same with the Salchow. Depending on a skater's technique, the free leg will often brush the ice to a certain extent, and that can be a lot with some skaters.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I would think, that you could jump a cheated two-footed Salchow or Loop just as well. The free leg is right there, touching the ice on a loop. So much so, that non-skating casual viewers often think it is actually jumped off two legs, because they're not aware that there's no weight on it.
Same with the Salchow. Depending on a skater's technique, the free leg will often brush the ice to a certain extent, and that can be a lot with some skaters.

You can definitely muscle the 3Lo so its virtually off two feet (though inevitably one leg will leave the ice first, the power can come from two feet pressing into the ice.)
Salchow I have seen people dig the blade heavily in the ice. Whilst I'm a puratin with technique and dont think salchow was meant to have 2 blades on the ice, I dont believe they use this leg to help them jump higher, but rather to keep their weight centered and more stable.

The most common way of cheating 3Lo is to curve it. This means you rotate 180degrees with a full blades rather than 90 degrees on the blade before launching off the toepick living the "tick" ice mark. The idea is that you are in the air at 180 degrees with the tick mark on the ice, rather than curving and then starting to takeoff like an axel which doesnt have a tick.
Salchow is less commonly cheated, though I'm sure it's possible but I havent studied salchow technique in depth.

There is one million ways of talking so you don't need to break it word by word and explain what you say.

I feel first half of your post basically says that hanyu does not have the capability of wining if the judges do not uphold him. And, the second half warns anyone that is against you to not reply.

Though I stand by my first post, I don't expect you to agree. That's my perception of your post which is obviously is different from what you have in your mind. I read your sentences in a way you did not intend to be read. I think it is your own wording that paves the way for misunderstanding but I apologize for jumping into conclusion.

1111bm

Final Flight
Salchow I have seen people dig the blade heavily in the ice. Whilst I'm a puratin with technique and dont think salchow was meant to have 2 blades on the ice, I dont believe they use this leg to help them jump higher, but rather to keep their weight centered and more stable.

Oh absolutely, when I was trying out different approaches to a Salchow take-off, I noticed exactly what you said, that scraping the ice with my free foot is a nice way to stabilise and center myself. But there was no temptation to use it to somehow push myself off two legs. Out of curiosity, I should try it sometime, though. :laugh: Oh well, once we're allowed back on the ice, I guess...