New ISU rules for the upcoming season | Page 7 | Golden Skate

New ISU rules for the upcoming season

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Um.. do you remember when the ISU decided that USB sticks were too new fangled? That was.. last year or the year before.

LOL. Yes, as I recall, they were worried that the skaters would find them too confusing and complicated to use...

Projecting, as the saying goes, like an IMAX.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
LOL. Yes, as I recall, they were worried that the skaters would find them too confusing and complicated to use...

Seriously? Why would young men & ladies find USB sticks to be complicated? RFLOL.
I'm almost twice the skaters age dont find it complicated.
Hahaha

Skatefan15

On the Ice
Man, I hope that they apply that full blade takeoff to everyone who does it... but they probably won’t (or if they do someone will complain:laugh:). I am actually happy about the 4Lo having a raised base value because I think it is a harder quad (hence why we really don’t see it much).

1111bm

Final Flight
Who even still has a CD burner? My computer has an inbuilt one, but it's 8-9 year old, so... :laugh: I don't think newer models even have them anymore?

...so everyone skating is above average or superior in an ISU event... Fair is listed at a 4-4.75 and average is 5-5.75.. You mean to tell me Tarasova and Morozov's Olympic FS to that insanly god awful Candy Man program that everyone on this plantet cold see their disconnect and lack of any rhythm in that program gets an VERY GOOD TO EXCELLENT?!?! 8.75-9.50.. WHAT WERE THE JUDGES WATCHING?!?!?! I dont care how elite that team is.. if your performance sucks.. then make that reflect in the marks!! GEEZUZ !!!!!

We have to remember that the scale is for ALL skaters, from beginners on up. Yes, I would expect everyone competing in major Senior ISU events to be "above average or superior."

Exactly. Some people need to watch some lower level skating competitions to put the scores into perspective... Seriously.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Man, I hope that they apply that full blade takeoff to everyone who does it... but they probably won’t (or if they do someone will complain:laugh:). I am actually happy about the 4Lo having a raised base value because I think it is a harder quad (hence why we really don’t see it much).

I have never jumped quad, but my take from 3Lo is that it is more physically exhausting than 3F and 3Lz. It also creates back pain if you don't jump it perfectly.

gmyers

Record Breaker
The main goal seems to be ending all quads in ladies skating and end russia domination! If one thing in clear in Skating history under IJS is there is never ever any work to improve bad technique. The skaters just stop doing the jump! Like all men doing underrotated quads from 2006-2010. Not one man sought to learn fully rotated quad toes. They just stopped doing them.

madraykin

Rinkside

To be fair I imagine some of the younger skaters would find them confusing. After all they're now used to just dropping things into the cloud and being able to access them anywhere...

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
The main goal seems to be ending all quads in ladies skating and end russia domination! If one thing in clear in Skating history under IJS is there is never ever any work to improve bad technique. The skaters just stop doing the jump! Like all men doing underrotated quads from 2006-2010. Not one man sought to learn fully rotated quad toes. They just stopped doing them.

Really? The vice president said the "q" was due to russian complaints.

Ulrica

On the Ice
Well, Yuzuru Hanyu, Boyang Jin, and Mikail Kolyada are men. Yuna Kim and Alexia Paginini do not jump quads.
It may not be possible for a lady to do a quadruple jump without some pre-rotation and a lot of work on the ice before liftoff.

I wouldn't say it's impossible, just that perhaps it is more difficult, I'm sure women are capable of quad jumps with minimal prerotation and correct tecnique, we have Trusova's 4T as an example, is a beautiful, fully rotated jump with proper tecnique, which cannot be said for her 4ltz.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
There was a whole conversation about USB sticks and the final decision was to stick with physical cds.

I think what I was trying to say is that I wouldn't expect the ISU to suddenly embrace technology.

shine

Record Breaker
So putting on my video-making jump-dissecting armchair-judging expert hat on for this post. If we are going to follow the logic used in the "full-blade" takeoff and call it cheating and making the lutz easier than it is and effectively turning it into a loop, then wouldn't that mean the loop technique is easier than a lutz?? So then why is the value of a loop made equal to a lutz? Where is the internal consistency in all this?

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
So putting on my video-making jump-dissecting armchair-judging expert hat on for this post. If we are going to follow the logic used in the "full-blade" takeoff and call it cheating and making the lutz easier than it is and effectively turning it into a loop, then wouldn't that mean the loop technique is easier than a lutz?? So then why is the value of a loop made equal to a lutz? Where is the internal consistency in all this?

Because with quads floop is easier than loop due to entrance mechanism / momentum. It takes a lot of strength to do loop from normal entrance.

And floop is not a good technique.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Really? The vice president said the "q" was due to russian complaints.

I mean in one way this third option of punishing underrotated jumps would seem to benefit russia because it may have been << or < but now you have this third option which reduces goe rather than treating the jump as successful. I mean so even if it’s because of Russia lobbying and fear of <‘s maybe they went too far in their fear!!!

shine

Record Breaker
Because with quads floop is easier than loop due to entrance mechanism / momentum. It takes a lot of strength to do loop from normal entrance.

Do you know that for a fact? Even so, it’s not like skaters haven’t been playing with different entrances to suit their own technique (or flaws in their technique), since what ultimately counts for a jump has always seemed to be the edge or toepick the skater is on right before the takeoff. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen skaters try a very short entrance on the loop where they step into the RBO at the very last moment. So there doesn’t seem to be a “standard” loop entrance that one must use.

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
Classic 4Lz is still harder than 4Lo though. Why would ISU nerf lutz itself instead of just penalizing the poor execution?
According to many people 4Lo is the hardest quad ever landed and not 4Lz. With 3Lo and 3Lz is different - 3Lz is harder than 3Lo.

Reddi

Rinkside
According to many people 4Lo is the hardest quad ever landed and not 4Lz. With 3Lo and 3Lz is different - 3Lz is harder than 3Lo.
Yeah... some super loud and obnoxious part of twitter is dead certain about this.
But have you ever heard this opinion from someone who actually involved in work that is related to jumping technique? In the past, Mishin talked about 4Lo and 4Lz/4F. According to him, the latter is significantly harder than the former.
It would've been nice to hear something about it from other tech-coaches.