Thread: Over booting

0 Not allowed!

Over booting

What exactly does it mean to over boot? I have a general understanding of it that you might not weigh enough or your skill level is not high enough to qualify for that particular stiffness rating but what exactly does over booting do to your feet and/or legs? Does it make it impossible to bend, stroke properly, cause an excess of foot issues and pains? And how would this compare to under booting?

Sent from my iPhone using Golden Skate

Toujours respecter ce sport Ic3Rabbit's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSkater2625 View Post
    What exactly does it mean to over boot? I have a general understanding of it that you might not weigh enough or your skill level is not high enough to qualify for that particular stiffness rating but what exactly does over booting do to your feet and/or legs? Does it make it impossible to bend, stroke properly, cause an excess of foot issues and pains? And how would this compare to under booting?

Sent from my iPhone using Golden Skate
    A boot that is too strong for your skill level and weight. It can cause a plethora of problems including long term injury.

2 Not allowed!
    ^What Ic3Rabbit said.

Conversely, if you underboot, to put it bluntly, have fun on your broken ankle.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    ^What Ic3Rabbit said.

Conversely, if you underboot, to put it bluntly, have fun on your broken ankle.
    Or rapid boot breakdown if its only a small underboot (Fly's vs piano etc)

❅*:・。.✨

0 Not allowed!
    Depending on how overbooted, you might not even be able to bend your knees at all.

Underbooting can be deceptively problem-free. I was heinously underbooted for years with no idea. It messed up my ankles, fortunately in a way that was fixable.

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with everything said here. That's why it's so important to get skates from a reputable skate tech- that person will know what models in different brands are good for certain skill levels, ect.

1 Not allowed!
    Agreed. Getting the help of someone who knows what they're talking about can help you immensely picking the right boot and avoiding under/overbooting. Thanks to the magnificient advice from people like Ic3Rabbit, I've purchased skates that were actually much stiffer than expected (myself and some other people would've thought that this is "overbooting"). However, since I'm heavy and tall, the new stiffness has provided to me great benefit and a whole new feeling of "being able to do stuff" on the ice. I was technically underbooting for years, and I can only say it has probably held me back for a long time.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Best is to skate with your level skates. Over booting can cause pain. Under booting can make your ankles "soft"