More ISU Streaming to Come... | Golden Skate

More ISU Streaming to Come...

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
As I understand it, the 2017 ISU World Synchronized Skating will be shown this week? I have never watched this (I think my brain keeps flashing to synchronized swimming and flinching away) but I might give it a go...

And on twitter it's been confirmed that the 2015 GPF at Barcelona, in full, will be in 2 weeks.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As I understand it, the 2017 ISU World Synchronized Skating will be shown this week? I have never watched this (I think my brain keeps flashing to synchronized swimming and flinching away) but I might give it a go...

And on twitter it's been confirmed that the 2015 GPF at Barcelona, in full, will be in 2 weeks.

Will it include Juniors 2015 GPF? And any word on 2016 Worlds?

Gabby30

On the Ice

What's wrong with synchronized swimming? It's an amazing sport and the women ( and men, since there is a mixed discipline as well) doing it have a much harder training regime than other athletes. It's literally a mix of gymnastics, figure skating, ballet and swimming, all this while holding your breath for a longer period of time and making it look easy.
Just saying

frida80

Record Breaker
GPF? Those are super short. Only 6 people in each competition. All the streaming can be done in a day. Why not Worlds 2015 and 2016? Or binge multiple GPF in a week?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Oh, thanks for the info! I´m definitely interested in men´s competition and will be watching it.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's pretty obvious why...

I'm afraid it's not. Can you explain?

Well, for me I won't watch 2015 GPF, for it's a grim reminder that if not for an event totally outside of his control, Max should have been there; and had Max been at 2015 GPF the USFS would have found it much harder to do what they did at 2016 Nationals. But I am sure others will enjoy it.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I think we will get the 2016 and 2015 worlds. I'm looking forward to both.

I actually wish we would get a older one like 2009 or 8. It could be very interesting.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I'm afraid it's not. Can you explain?

Well, for me I won't watch 2015 GPF, for it's a grim reminder that if not for an event totally outside of his control, Max should have been there; and had Max been at 2015 GPF the USFS would have found it much harder to do what they did at 2016 Nationals. But I am sure others will enjoy it.

That's a shame. Now I'm sad for Max.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The necessary cancellation of the FS at 2015 TEB meant that Max had no opportunity to move up after the SP. :no:

What was out of his control is that only the SP determined overall placement.
(It was out of everyone's control, of course. :()

If Max had placed 5th overall at 2015 TEB, he would have qualified for GPF.

Max placed 7th in the 2015 TEB SP, and his SP score was 3.19 behind 5th place.

Obviously we'll never know what actually would have happened in the FS.

But it is "thinkable" that if the FS could have been held, Max could have moved up to 5th place overall. (Sufficient to qualify for GPF that season.)
This scenario of 5th place overall at TEB of course was not guaranteed, but it certainly was not unthinkable.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Synchronized skating is so much fun! It's like Sonja Henie married Busby Berkeley and just look at the wonderful results. I'd be thrilled if they streamed it.

And yes, so is synchronized swimming, which requires superhuman lung capacity and control. I used to know a synch swimmer and man, she was in the absolute best shape of any person I've ever met.

Really everyone who doesn't know better poo poos these events because of the music and the glitter. Strip that way and you have first rate athletes doing amazing athletic feats.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was sad, too. But the situation was not totally outside of his control, because in the sp he had one fall and a mistake in the jump combination placing as 7th:http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/gpfra2015/gpfra2015_Men_SP_Scores.pdf . With a better sp he would have qualified for the GPF.

It was outside of his control, because he was robbed of the opportunity to move up in the FS (along with everyone else there; Tuktamysheva also suffered because of the FS cancellation). That GP series was also particularly wacky and at every other GP there were massive movements between the SP and FS, including jumps from 7th to 2nd. Now, I don't know that Max would have jumped as high as second; but a clean FS would have put him in a very good position, and it's not like the field above him was full of reliable, hit-every-time skaters.

It was out of his control. The SP results should never have been used to determine the final result. What a ludicrous situation for the ISU, that a GP gold medallist misses the final because of something outside of his control. But the USFS was never going to fight for him.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Really everyone who doesn't know better poo poos these events because of the music and the glitter. Strip that way and you have first rate athletes doing amazing athletic feats.

Oh I'm not poopoohing synchronised swimming as a sport, it's just that it's utterly not me (all those matching smiley smiles....) Quite literally different strokes for different folks.

I found the youtube link for the two synchronised skating streams on 27-28 May
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuiPiC1Hk8eJajzWt1YZHkgzfMVhEoRFL

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Oh I'm not poopoohing synchronised swimming as a sport, it's just that it's utterly not me (all those matching smiley smiles....) Quite literally different strokes for different folks.

I found the youtube link for the two synchronised skating streams on 27-28 May
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuiPiC1Hk8eJajzWt1YZHkgzfMVhEoRFL

Ah that's good to hear. De gustibus and all that jazz, huh? I can't stomach most of the 'major' American sports -- football, basketball, golf (like a slow moving coma in hideous clothing).