Who will be the last six LADIES to skate their LP? | Golden Skate

Who will be the last six LADIES to skate their LP?

Here is a list of hopefuls. If there are others, just add them.

Cynthia Phaneuf
Miki Ando
Susanna Poykio
Onda?; Suguri?; Ota? - pick one if any.
Carolina Kostner
Julia Sebestyen
Shizuka Arakawa
Elena Liashenko
Sokolova?; Volchkova? - pick one if any
Irina Slutskaya
Joannie Rochette
Jennifer Kirk
Sasha Cohen
Michelle Kwan

A. Pick only six whom you think will be in the last group to skate.

B. Pick another six whom you think will be in the next to last group to skate.

C. From Group B, add an asterisk to make your TOP TEN.

D. Your choices may be listed in no particular order.

E. If you wish list your beyond 12.

This is not easy. - Joe

Last edited:
My last six to skate - Slutskaya, Cohen, Kwan, Arakawa, Ando, Rochette.

My next to last six - Liashenko*, Poykio*, Suguri (if she skates), Sebestyen*, Sokolova (if she skates), Phaneuf*

So many others but that's the way I see it.

Joe.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
My darling Joe... What a cool concept... Let's see how I do!

Last Six: Kwan, Irina, Sasha, Diva, Rochette/Julia, Fumi

Next to Last: Ando*, Kirk*, Julia/Rochette**, Susanna, Sokolva*

I hope against hope that Fumi works it all out!!!

Kwanford Wife

bdreampixie

On the Ice
Last 6: Irina, Kwan, Shiz, Joannie, Fumie(if she makes it) and Julia S.

next Group: *Poykio, *Sokolova, *Cohen, *Miki, Kostner, and Liashenko

That was really tough, this worlds is completely unpredictible. My predicted final 6 is based on the season thus far, and whose programs are really well adjusted for COP.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I'm sure I'll get mine all wrong...

Edited to revise my lists!!

So if I wanted to manipulate the skate gods, I'd put my faves in the second six. Then I'd be wrong, and they would all end up in the top six. :)

Final group: Kwan, Irina, Sasha, Shiz, Fumie, Sebestyen

Next to last group: Rochette*, Kostner*, Ando*, Poykio, Liashenko, Sokolova

This assumes that the top 6 do well in the QR, and do very strong SP's. But...the ice is slippery as we all know.

The fun part about this exercise is it sure points out how exciting this competition could be!

DG

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Doggygirl, I was supprised you put Sokolova in last group instead of SA. Then I read your reasoning. I have to agree with you.

But no way SA's SP will fall out top 4, then it comes down to QR which is the LP that SA had the problem all season. But still I would put her in final group instead of Ando.

My final group would be:
Irina, Sasha, Rochette, Arakawa, Sokolova, Kwan.

Who is Volchkova? The 3rd Rusian girl VV? She is not in this Worlds I believe. Rusian only has 2 spots this year.

mzheng said:
My final group would be:
Irina, Sasha, Rochette, Arakawa, Sokolova, Kwan.

Who is Volchkova? The 3rd Rusian girl VV? She is not in this Worlds I believe. Rusian only has 2 spots this year.
I didn't know Piseev picked anyone but Irina yet so I put both Elena and Vikka but the poster should pick only one of them.

Also the Japanese third skater is unknown to me also. I think it is among Fumie, Onda and Ota and how they place in 4CC. While I appreciate Fumie, I adore Ota., :love:

Joe

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Final Group - Irina Slutskaya, Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, the 2nd Russian girl (whoever that may be) Joannie Rochette, Shizuka Arakawa

2nd to last group - Susanna Poykio, Elena Liashenko, Jennifer Kirk,
Julia Sebestyen, Miki Ando, Ota

Cynthia Phaneuf and Carolina Kostner will bomb

rain

Record Breaker
Final six: Slutskaya, Kwan, Cohen, Rochette, Poykio, Arakawa

Next six: Ando*, Sokolova, Sebastien*, Suguri*, Phaneuf*, Liashenko

Mine are definitely in no particular order. It was a hard choice. Arakawa has not been skating well, but her programs are expertly COP designed and she is the reigning champ. I think Slutskaya and Kwan would have to fall on their faces several hundred times to not be in the final six. Likewise, even if Cohen flubs a jump, the quality of her other elements will carry her through. Rochette is on a roll and the international judges are taking notice this year. She should have been considerably higher last year. Phaneuf's last two outings have not been confidence builders, but I think she will have it pulled together enough to be in the top 10 at worlds. Ando or any of the other Japanese ladies are more than capable of surprising.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
My pics are: (not in order)
1. Michelle Kwan
2. Sasha Cohen
3. Irina Slutskaya
4. Joannie Rochette
5. Shizuka Arakawa
6. Miki Ando

Wild Card - Julia Sebestyen

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Last six, no order:

Kwan
Cohen
Slutskaya
Arakawa
Ando
Rochette

Next six, no order:

Sebestyen*
Poykio*
Kostner*
Liashenko*
Sokolova
Suguri, if she qualifies, otherwise Pfaneuf

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Final Flight of Ladies

Miki Ando
Shizuka Arakawa
Sasha Cohen
Michelle Kwan
Joannie Rochette
Irina Slutskaya

Linny

Final Flight
Last 6

OK, I know the theory is that the judges are supposed to judge what they see on the ice that day... but I think where things could go either way, they are influenced by past events. Therefore, I put Susanna Poykio in the final flight. There are judges who saw the Europeans and a going to give her better marks this time around to avoid that kind of embarrassment again.

I'm also putting Shizuka Arakawa in the final flight. Even though she has not been skating well this season, the judges don't want to say "Oh, maybe we wrong last year".

Irina Slutskaya & Michelle Kwan would have to not only fall, but fall over the wall and not get up before the judges would fail to put them in the final flight.

Joannie Rochette is going to get good marks because there are so many judges who saw or read about Canadian Nationals.

And, finally, perhaps this is wishful thinking: Jenny Kirk is going to pull one out of the bag. She's endured criticism by going to Worlds when she didn't finish 3rd at the USA Nationals and I think she's out to prove her detractors wrong.

Linny

doug_log

On the Ice
The Japanese will be rock solid in the short. They have to be. Arakawa will be fine, she managed at Japanese nat'ls even with "blisters". Ando will do a 3-3 easy. The judges have always liked Suguri. They will be rewarded with chances to medal (unless Suguri doesn't make the world team. In that case, throw in Liashenko in the top 12 and move Rochette to the final six). Phaneuf will bomb. Rochette will botch her Lutz/ 3T-3T in the short. I wish Kirk would just win the whole damn thing. Dream finish: Kirk, Rochette (if she skates Firebird cleanly), Kwan, Poykio, Suguri, Kostner (in that order, with Slutskaya out of the top 10...but HA!)

Final Six:
Slutskaya
Kwan
Cohen
Arakawa
Ando
Suguri

Next Six:
Rochette*
Sebest.*
Kirk
Sokolova
Poykio*
Kostner*

Linny - Loved your rationale particularly about Susanna.

But don't understand you leaving out Sasha. You are probably the only one who did.

Joe

screech

Final Flight
Last warmup
Irina
Sasha
Michelle
Joannie
Shizuka
Miki

Second last warmup
Cynthia
Fumie
Susanna
Carolina
Julia
Elena

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
Who is "Diva?"

I really need to stop posting late at night when I'm tired & cranky... Diva is Shizuka or Divakwara... I'm not sure where the name originated ~ something about an incident at a GP comp ~ but I thought it totally applied after her awesome performance at 04 Worlds... Totally Diva... LOVE her!

Sorry about the confusion :)

KW