2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 96 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yikes that that... thing Bates was wearing beat Shcherbakova for best costume. Anna Shcherbakova's costume changes got +20k upvotes several times on Reddit and millions of views but okay then.

Ummmmm... have you seen some of the things worn by celebrities that get upvotes and views???? That's no argument for 'best', only 'biggest clickbait'.

It certainly added excitement and suspense to her program!

But did it do that more than the first time people saw it? I'm not sure... it was fun thereafter I guess.

Shcherbakova's nomination can be justified for the gimmick in my opinion, since said gimmick was part of her program (not a terribly deep part, but still...) but as a piece of clothing there were others more beautiful and better enhancing the program as a whole. I have a problem with the one-sidedness of Chock/Bates (Evan who?) and side-eye other aspects of it, but Madison's dress was superb, matched the theme brilliantly, added masses of excitement and love every time people saw it, and from the minute it was unveiled there was no way it wasn't going to be iconic.

Look, everyone couldn't get nominations, Eteri's three wunderkind all did get at least one and Kostornaia got a (hopefully not too ugly) trophy. Given the general dislike for the whole thing, and the possibility that there won't even be another season for awards next year before the new kids move up, be happy about that, hey?

Regarding the award for Best Costume, I would have given the award to Anna because I thought it was impressive the way the costume was designed so that she could pull off the change so smoothly. But I do think that Madison had a very beautiful costume as well and I loved all the detail in it.

colormyworld240

Medalist
It's so weird how Dudakov is completely left out of discussions. Eteri and Daniil get tons of love and hate but Dudakov? Nothing. It's strange as that team is known for upping the technical jump content and Dudakov is the main jump coach. He didn't only teach quads, but also Alina's 3Lz-3Lo and all her triples. He's never mentioned anywhere. I wonder how it looks from his POV. Maybe he's indifferent or even prefers it but it must be strange to not be talked about when you coach skaters who have accomplished so much and your fellow coaches have their own loud fans and haters.

Fried

Final Flight
It's so weird how Dudakov is completely left out of discussions. Eteri and Daniil get tons of love and hate but Dudakov? Nothing. It's strange as that team is known for upping the technical jump content and Dudakov is the main jump coach. He didn't only teach quads, but also Alina's 3Lz-3Lo and all her triples. He's never mentioned anywhere. I wonder how it looks from his POV. Maybe he's indifferent or even prefers it but it must be strange to not be talked about when you coach skaters who have accomplished so much and your fellow coaches have their own loud fans and haters.
He's not doing this whole image thing. No fancy hairstyle, no fancy fashion jacket, no thick wristwatch and does not constantly nestle against Eteri's side. That's why I love him so much! And that's exactly why I loved seeing the Dudakov/Trusova Team. Both are humble workers who look like they are from the people and who simply do it without talking much about it. But maybe I make this connection more than it really was. Still, it is this separation that makes me the saddest.

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States

I've always gotten the impression that Dudakov is much more low-key than Eteri and Daniil. He doesn't seem to care about all the attention and he might not even want it. People who are familiar with Eteri's team know how much of an asset he is and how great of a technical coach he is, and maybe that's enough for him.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice

Don't forget Rozanov too!

MedvedFan20

Rinkside
He's not doing this whole image thing. No fancy hairstyle, no fancy fashion jacket, no thick wristwatch and does not constantly nestle against Eteri's side. That's why I love him so much! And that's exactly why I loved seeing the Dudakov/Trusova Team. Both are humble workers who look like they are from the people and who simply do it without talking much about it. But maybe I make this connection more than it really was. Still, it is this separation that makes me the saddest.

Agreed.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Have you read the article?

Looks like Chinese fs-crazy mom intends to put an end to Russian ladies' dominance... :eek:

This should probably be discussed in Team China thread. The article itself is in Chinese, maybe someone can bring a good translation of the full article otherwise there’s too much room for mistranslating and misinterpretation of what her mom really said.

That being said... did she really say all of that?
This sounds crazy.

I would want to wait, perhaps there’s some explanation or clarification to that? She wouldn‘t just say she put her 10 month old through some crazy spinning and put her baby out in the cold for some insane reason, who in their right mind can admit that publicly...

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
This should probably be discussed in Team China thread. The article itself is in Chinese, maybe someone can bring a good translation of the full article otherwise there’s too much room for mistranslating and misinterpretation of what her mom really said.

That being said... did she really say all of that?
This sounds crazy.

I would want to wait, perhaps there’s some explanation or clarification to that? She wouldn‘t just say she put her 10 month old through some crazy spinning and put her baby out in the cold for some insane reason, who in their right mind can admit that publicly...

It’s not like it’s the most trustworthy source, but TSL made an entire video about this girl. But apparently the mother said she just made the little girl skate with 2 and a half years and feared it would be too late.

The only thing it has to do with RLT is that the mother wanted Eteri to train Nini (a lovely skater, btw), but Eteri refused it (according to the article). Eteri would have thought the mother was “too intense”.

According to the article, my assumption is that this mother is out of reality and really doesn’t perceive herself as an abuser. When people accuse her of that, she feels like it’s a compliment. She’s also been a member of the Chinese Army and applies Chinese Army’s methods to train Nini.

The part about the father, where she says she just talks to her husband via text messages so that Nini grows with the notion that men are unnecessary was one of the highlights of the horror show the article showed.

brakes

On the Ice
The only thing it has to do with RLT is that the mother wanted Eteri to train Nini (a lovely skater, btw), but Eteri refused it (according to the article). Eteri would have thought the mother was “too intense”.
Let's be honest, Russian ladies are leading the sport and are almost untouchable now.
Japan, US and Korea are always respectable, but not to the level of Tutberidze cosmodrome really.
But this Chinese girl might be different - whatever we think about it or condemn it, this is strict Eteri's approach on steroids! She may single-handedly end Russian dominance in the sport. :confused2:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Have you read the article?

Looks like Chinese fs-crazy mom intends to put an end to Russian ladies' dominance... :eek:
Without commenting on the obvious here, what's especially interesting about this to me is that she does rhythmic gymnastics as a major portion of her training.

A coach for Team Tutberidze on instagram explained about what sports they think go well with figure skating and what not, and suggesting the obvious such as dancing, ballet, even swimming etc. but listed rhythmic gymnastics as something that should absolutely NOT be combined with figure skating. The reason is, it requires such flexibility that training for it really hurts one's ability to properly jump.

At this point in time, she's a very beautiful skater to watch but I doubt she'll be a threat in the slightest. Jump quality and content is well below several Russian novice skaters younger than her.

brakes

On the Ice
At this point in time, she's a very beautiful skater to watch but I doubt she'll be a threat in the slightest. Jump quality and content is well below several Russian novice skaters younger than her.
Many people say she got better jumping edges than most Eteri's girls...

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Let's be honest, Russian ladies are leading the sport and are almost untouchable now.
Japan, US and Korea are always respectable, but not to the level of Tutberidze cosmodrome really.
But this Chinese girl might be different - whatever we think about it or condemn it, this is strict Eteri's approach on steroids! She may single-handedly end Russian dominance in the sport. :confused2:

I don’t think anyone should care about anyone’s dominance, that’s so silly... it doesn’t matter at all.
Especially in this case.
if what’s written there is true, it has barely anything to do with training, it’s straight up child neglect and abuse.
I’m really hoping that it’s either one big misunderstanding or if it’s not that authorities are already taking care of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.