2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 165 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, kind of really. He was largely criticizing the fact that teenage girls are winning over older ladies, and we need to raise the minimum senior age.

Yes, and if he trained Sasha/Anna/Alena/ whoever, from the start, they would skate well into their 20s and win everything. And maybe he would be willing to try when they are older, if they were willing to do the work to change technique.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree, I'm saying that would be his mindset. It may be wrong, he might not be able to do it, but it's not hypocritical :)

ruga

Final Flight
Maybe Stephane would be a good fit to Anna, if her sister is living in Switzerland and in case she actually wants to leave Eteri, which we don’t know.
I could really them working together. Even if not full time coaching, then at least choreography.

She's not leaving Eteri this or next off-season though. I don't think we will have more surprises this summer and changing coaches before Olympic season is too risky.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Yes, and if he trained Sasha/Anna/Alena/ whoever, from the start, they would skate well into their 20s and win everything. And maybe he would be willing to try when they are older, if they were willing to do the work to change technique.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree, I'm saying that would be his mindset. It may be wrong, he might not be able to do it, but it's not hypocritical :)

I’d say we have very different interpretations of what he said.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Anna's older sister actually attended high school in Switzerland and is now is in university in Netherlands, so it wouldn't at all be weird for Anna to live and train abroad, as far as her family goes.

Not saying the rumor is true - I still don't buy it - but just wanted to point that out.
Thanks for that info. But I understand his older sister go to high school in Switzerland in a pandemic? I'm pretty sure her parents would want her home it needs unforeseen and unforgettable coronavirus times.
I think even my head would explode

Gesendet von meinem SM-T813 mit Tapatalk
What they say things come in threes! 😜
If you predict that one more time, it could happen, so should hurry with my testament :biggrin:

I won't predict it again. 😌

Scott512

Record Breaker
Oh and if Raf had a girl or boy winning major events at 15 or 16 like Eteri Angels have i'm pretty sure he wouldn't want the age limit raised. ;)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh and if Raf had a girl or boy winning major events at 15 or 16 like Eteri Angels have i'm pretty sure he wouldn't want the age limit raised. ;)

Nathan Chen was not exactly chopped liver in terms of international results at age 16.

I can't believe I'm in the odd position of defending a coach about whom I'm so ambivalent:laugh: But Raf jealous? I don't think so ....:biggrin:

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
In accordance with the "decision of the Bureau of the Executive Committee of the Russian Federation of Outdoor Ice Skating, selection for the Russian Championship and the Russian Championship will be ONLY based on the results of participating in two stages of the Russian Cup:

18-22 September 2020 Syzran

10-13 October 2020 Moscow

23-27 October 2020 Sochi

08 November-12, 2020 Kazan

05 December-08, 2020 Moscow

In connection with the requirements of:: Rospotrebnadzor, admission to participation in the stages of the Russian Cup will be limited.

The country's skaters will be admitted to the 3rd stage of the Rostelecom Cup Grand Prix:

18 November-22, 2020 Moscow

The Russian Championship will be held in Chelyabinsk from 23 to 27 December 2020.
https://twitter.com/seed_unnie/status/1291353131582922752?s=20

If there are any translation errors please correct me.

YES! This is what I expected. I'm not sure I understand the part about Rostelecom Cup though. Who will be there? The national team? And has GP Rostelecom Cup nothing to do with the qualifications for RusNats?

If I was a Russian Ladies skater, I would quickly get into form and compete at the first Russian Cup event in September. The competition might be more brutal later on...

Amei

Record Breaker
I wonder if Evgenia will return to Canada before Nationals. Maybe leaving Russia just for a chance to compete in an easier GP stage isn't worth it.

Given all the border and travel restrictions it would seem unlikely, which makes the questions of changing coaches reasonable - Orser isn't cheap and is he giving any type of discount for being virtual training only, plus she's likely having to pay some type of fees for Tarasova and ice time at CSKA (I believe that's where she's training).

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Given all the border and travel restrictions it would seem unlikely, which makes the questions of changing coaches reasonable - Orser isn't cheap and is he giving any type of discount for being virtual training only, plus she's likely having to pay some type of fees for Tarasova and ice time at CSKA (I believe that's where she's training).

Yes, it seems not like a good idea now to go to Canada for Medvedeva. She needs to stay in Russia if she wants to compete at RusNats.
And why not change coach to Buianova? Under these circumstances it's only logical, and B needs a new student or she might find herself unemployed...

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Yes, it seems not like a good idea now to go to Canada for Medvedeva. She needs to stay in Russia if she wants to compete at RusNats.
And why not change coach to Buianova? Under these circumstances it's only logical, and B needs a new student or she might find herself unemployed...

Buianova's male students (Danielian, Rukhin, maybe Voronov) will certainly keep her from being out of a job at least.

Agree that Medvedeva should probably stay put in Russia for now given the competition calendar. Much as we would have liked to see her one-woman re-enactment of the indigenous settlement of the Americas...

colormyworld240

Medalist
Nathan Chen was not exactly chopped liver in terms of international results at age 16.

I can't believe I'm in the odd position of defending a coach about whom I'm so ambivalent:laugh: But Raf jealous? I don't think so ....:biggrin:

And was Raf calling for raising the limit when 16 y/o Nathan was doing well? Was he criticizing the system where Nathan was winning over older skaters?

colormyworld240

Medalist
Why do some posters keep insinuating that Anna/Alina would want to remain with Eteri because they're the only seniors left, will be more happy, or will get more attention?

If either girls are smart, their coaching decisions wouldn't heavily depend on the other skaters. That's something completely out of their control and can change any time; neither have exclusivity contracts with Team Tutberidze. The smart decision would be to stay with a coach if their goals align and they have a good productive working relationship. Anna and Alina should focus on themselves. New skaters can join and leave Eteri at any time. Daria and Kamila can learn a 4A tomorrow or be hit by puberty and lose their consistency. Who knows, Anna and Alina certainly don't. If they allowed every skater who comes and goes to affect their mental approach to training, they're not going to get far with the distraction.

If we look at the current Russian ladies who just gained high level additions to their training teams: Alena (current GPF champion) has joined Sasha with Plushenko and Rika (last year's GPF champion) has joined Evgenia with Orser. Are they going leave their coaches or let it disrupt their training or happiness? I don't think so. And neither should Anna or Alina.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Why do some posters keep insinuating that Anna/Alina would want to remain with Eteri because they're the only seniors left, will be more happy, or will get more attention?

If either girls are smart, their coaching decisions wouldn't heavily depend on the other skaters. That's something completely out of their control and can change any time; neither have exclusivity contracts with Team Tutberidze.

While the number of skaters/amount of attention you get is certainly not the only factor in deciding whether you stay with a coach, its still a pretty huge factor imo. The amount of time and attention you get with a coach really can heavily impact your training with them. Yes it can change, but it doesn't mean that it can't be a factor in your decision. Of course you must also have a good, productive relationship with the coach and everything, but the amount of attention you get can be pivotal. In a camp like Eteri's, where the programs are all choreographed by Daniil, it really matters whether you get Daniil's best program idea that season or his 7th best program idea. Even aside from programs, just the amount of time each coach spends on you each practice session, the amount of energy they spend fighting for you. Its very different when there are 2/3 top students vs. 6/7 top students.

So, of course if there are other issues with Eteri they would leave, and they shouldn't stay just because there is less competition. But, I absolutely agree that being the center of attention makes them less likely to leave. Eteri may put on a front in interviews and act like she will not change her training system for anyone, but I'm sure she's feeling pressure now. I think will do what it takes to make sure Anya and Kamila stay (and Alina if she continues) if she is smart. She will probably be putting 110% attention into them. And that makes a difference. Besides, at this point, who could move to Eteri pre-Olympics? Ksenia Sinitsyna possibly? Otherwise, everyone who is there is there. Anna, Kamila, Alina depending, Daria, and Maia are her shots. And right now, Anya and Kamila are the front-runners of that camp.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

Nathan maybe didn't collect medals when he was 16, but competed as a senior at nationals. Or the problem actually is "you can compete, you are just not allowed to win medals"? :)

And was Raf calling for raising the limit when 16 y/o Nathan was doing well? Was he criticizing the system where Nathan was winning over older skaters?

About the hypocrisy concerning the age. I'm not sure how should I feel when e.g. our Eliška Březinová joined the "concerned club" about the age eligibility. After the last Europeans she gave an interview how bad it is when 15 y.o. girls skate with adult skaters like her, but when you know that she started at Europeans for the first time when she was also 15, and she doesn't make any reflection of this fact in her statements (like if she would have said at least something like "I know now I wasn't prepared, we should have waited two or three years" or something like that), than I can hardly accept it.

GINO

On the Ice
She's not leaving Eteri this or next off-season though. I don't think we will have more surprises this summer and changing coaches before Olympic season is too risky.

Who knows, things change very quickly. I just checked predictions for the Olympic team(a month ago in this thread) and I'm sure many would change their choice now.

Also jumping into Russian team 2022 predictions:
Aliona Kostornaia 42 Great artistry and GOEs, no puberty is going to take these from her. Strong technical elements, consistent and Eteri knows how to prepare students for big comps.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Nathan maybe didn't collect medals when he was 16, but competed as a senior at nationals. Or the problem actually is "you can compete, you are just not allowed to win medals"? :)

About the hypocrisy concerning the age. I'm not sure how should I feel when e.g. our Eliška Březinová joined the "concerned club" about the age eligibility. After the last Europeans she gavean interview how bad it when 15 y.o. girls skate with adult skaters like her, but when you know that she started at Europeans for the first time when she was also 15, and she doesn't make any reflection of this fact in her statements (like if she would have said at least something like "I know now I wansn't prepared, we should have waited two or three years" or something like that), than I can hardly accept it.

Thank you for pointing out that Nathan was winning over seniors at age 16 and Brezinova skated at 15 in euros. Lol at the hypocrisy!

Scott512

Record Breaker

If either girls are smart, their coaching decisions wouldn't heavily depend on the other skaters. That's something completely out of their control and can change any time; neither have exclusivity contracts with Team Tutberidze. The smart decision would be to stay with a coach if their goals align and they have a good productive working relationship. Anna and Alina should focus on themselves. New skaters can join and leave Eteri at any time. Daria and Kamila can learn a 4A tomorrow or be hit by puberty and lose their consistency. Who knows, Anna and Alina certainly don't. If they allowed every skater who comes and goes to affect their mental approach to training, they're not going to get far with the distraction.

If we look at the current Russian ladies who just gained high level additions to their training teams: Alena (current GPF champion) has joined Sasha with Plushenko and Rika (last year's GPF champion) has joined Evgenia with Orser. Are they going leave their coaches or let it disrupt their training or happiness? I don't think so. And neither should Anna or Alina.

There's always an adjustment period leaving a great coach for any coach. Borser who knows this says it's a 2 year process. I think it's quite possible that Aliona and Sasha are not quite as good as last season right off the bat with Plushenko and that clearly makes Anna the favorite for an unbelievable Russian national 3 peat! Heads (nadezdanadezda) may explode when that happens!😂 But there's a very good chance that happens.

Anna may be the favorite for the next Winter Olympics if they take place on time because she's so stable while three of the other top girls have new coaches and the adjustment periods may be long.

But at this point let's just hope we haven't next Winter Olympics in February of 22.

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
There's always an adjustment period leaving a great coach for any coach. Borser who knows this says it's a 2 year process. I think it's quite possible that Aliona and Sasha are not quite as good as last season right off the bat with Plushenko and that clearly makes Anna the favorite for an unbelievable Russian national 3 peat! Heads (nadezdanadezda) may explode when that happens!😂 But there's a very good chance that happens.

Anna may be the favorite for the next Winter Olympics if they take place on time because she's so stable while three of the other top girls have new coaches and the adjustment periods may be long.

But at this point let's just hope we haven't next Winter Olympics in February of 22.
Um, no. My head would not explode. Sotnikova is OGM and yet my head is OK. :) Poor Carolina should have been 2014 OGM (Yuna deserved the silver) and 2011 Worlds Champion, she was so underscored at these events. But she was overscored at 2008 Worlds and 2014 Worlds, her skating was atrocious there. I do not get it... Sometimes when she skated badly the judges overscored her through the roof and sometimes she skated the best of all skaters, but was grossly underscored. Go figure.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Um, no. My head would not explode. Sotnikova is OGM and yet my head is OK. :) Poor Carolina should have been 2014 OGM (Yuna deserved the silver) and 2011 Worlds Champion, she was so underscored at these events. But she was overscored at 2008 Worlds and 2014 Worlds, her skating was atrocious there. I do not get it... Sometimes when she skated badly the judges overscored her through the roof and sometimes she skated the best of all skaters, but was grossly underscored. Go figure.

We are in the minority but we agree that if Adelina was not golden in Sochi it would be Caro. It's like her greatness in Sochi was wiped away way because of the YK crazies and all the harm they caused Adelina online..

We also agree that Carolina was over scored many times in her career including the 2014 World Championships when she stole a bronze medal from Pogo.
So since your head has no history of exploding then whatever success Anna has in the future you should be able to handle well.

There is nothing hypocritical about Rafarel Arutunian believing that the sport of figure skating would be better served by increasing the senior age limit, and on the other hand doing the best he can with youthful skaters who come to him for training under the current or past rules.

(And that's my contribution to the "Russian ladies" thread for today. :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.