AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
2020-2021 US Ice Dance

Big Questions:
1. Will there be a season?
2. Can Chock/Bates defend their national title/4CC title?
3. Can Hubbell/Donohue regain their US title over Chock/Bates?
4. Can Hawayek/Baker remain as the US #3 team?
5. Can the US get 2 teams on the world podium?

CHALLENGER SERIES ASSIGNMENTS: tba

GRAND PRIX ASSIGNMENTS: tba

FOUR CONTINENTS TEAM: tba

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS TEAM: tba

JGP ASSIGNMENTS: N/A (JGP CANCELLED)

JUNIOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS TEAM: tba

litenkyckling

Final Flight
2020-2021 US Ice Dance

I think that unless S/K splat at World's - I don't think it's possible. Perhaps the key factor for the Olympics is whether or not S/K will get an invite - if not, they have a chance at getting two US teams on the Olympic podium but a Worlds one -- I'm not sure.

dancelion21

On the Ice
2020-2021 US Ice Dance

4. Can Hawayek/Baker remain as the US #3 team?

I don't think that Hawayek/Baker can remain the US #3 team. CPom came pretty close this year, where they would have beat H/B at Nats in the free dance if their character step wasn't invalidated. Further, Green/Parsons had a really strong debut season, and H/B were beat internationally by teams that had previously never beat them before, notably Wang/Liu and Fear/Gibson.

2020-2021 US Ice Dance

It doesn't seem likely, especially with H/D backsliding so much in the past two seasons. Yet, both C/B and H/D were on the GPF podium this year, so it's certainly possible under the right circumstances. A more interesting question would be if it's possible for C/B or H/D to challenge P/C and S/K for the world title. I feel like the answer is no, but C/B had a lot of momentum this season, so anything can happen.

slider11

Medalist
I don't think that Hawayek/Baker can remain the US #3 team. CPom came pretty close this year, where they would have beat H/B at Nats in the free dance if their character step wasn't invalidated. Further, Green/Parsons had a really strong debut season, and H/B were beat internationally by teams that had previously never beat them before, notably Wang/Liu and Fear/Gibson.

It doesn't seem likely, especially with H/D backsliding so much in the past two seasons. Yet, both C/B and H/D were on the GPF podium this year, so it's certainly possible under the right circumstances. A more interesting question would be if it's possible for C/B or H/D to challenge P/C and S/K for the world title. I feel like the answer is no, but C/B had a lot of momentum this season, so anything can happen.

I have alot of faith that Hawayek and Baker can maintain their third place standing in the US. Their technical skills continue to improve and, with the right vehicle, their artistic side can really shine. This pandemic will really tell a tale of who can persevere and grow during challenging times. My money is on Kaitlin and Jean-Luc.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have alot of faith that Hawayek and Baker can maintain their third place standing in the US. Their technical skills continue to improve and, with the right vehicle, their artistic side can really shine. This pandemic will really tell a tale of who can persevere and grow during challenging times. My money is on Kaitlin and Jean-Luc.

Why doesn’t anyone ever ask if they can move up to the #2 team? I really don’t love ice dance judging. It’s like you stay in your spot until someone retires. I don’t think they are the priority in their current coaching situation. But I’ve beaten that horse to death.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Why doesn’t anyone ever ask if they can move up to the #2 team? I really don’t love ice dance judging. It’s like you stay in your spot until someone retires. I don’t think they are the priority in their current coaching situation. But I’ve beaten that horse to death.
Kaitlin and Jean-Luc did a nice interview with Jordan Cowan of On Ice Perspectives this week, available here:

https://youtu.be/SFSJWY7rQrA

Lots of interesting background about them and their programs, accompanied by beautiful video footage of their skating by Jordan. A treat for fans!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Announced today by Sharp4Sports: The Peals -- Rob (coach/father) and Elliana/Ethan (the top U.S. novice dancers in 2019-20) -- have moved to Nashville's Ford Ice Center (aka Scott Hamilton land).

Kaitlin and Jean-Luc did a nice interview with Jordan Cowan of On Ice Perspectives this week, available here:

https://youtu.be/SFSJWY7rQrA

Lots of interesting background about them and their programs, accompanied by beautiful video footage of their skating by Jordan. A treat for fans!

Jordan Cowan's excellent new On Ice Perspectives Live interview series also had earlier episodes with Hubbell/Donohue and Chock/Bates, in case anyone missed them:

Episode 2 with Chock/Bates:

https://youtu.be/FUL5LPUTXxo (May 19, 29:52)​

Episode 3 with Hubbell/Donohue:

https://youtu.be/j4nLuaRAFKo (May 20, 37:44)

ETA:
BTW, today (Jun 15), Hubbell/Donohue, Chock/Bates, and some other IAM dancers returned to the ice in Montreal.
(But my guess is that Hawayek/Baker still are in upstate New York, where they have been quarantining with her family?)​

... CHALLENGER SERIES ASSIGNMENTS: tba

GRAND PRIX ASSIGNMENTS: tba

FOUR CONTINENTS TEAM: tba

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS TEAM: tba

Last season, many of us were very interested in the U.S. junior dancers as well as seniors.

And I expect that interest once again will be high for this season's assignments for JGPs and Junior Worlds. (For as many of the junior events as can be held.)

BTW, off the top of my head, two things to watch re U.S. junior dance in 2020-21:

Will Cesanek/Yehorov stay junior?
Because of the pandemic, they have the option of doing so. For ice dance and synchro, the ISU has said that "the Novice and Junior upper age limits will be extended by one year."

ETA (on Jul 10):
Unbeknownst to me (sorry :hopelessness:), C/Y have said (after the ISU extension already was announced) that they are turning senior.
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...ng-to-Senior&p=2615272&viewfull=1#post2615272

Will the Peals move up to junior?
They will be age-eligible for junior internationals.​

I find it helpful for the current season's thread to have a handy link to the previous season's thread. For reference, the 2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance thread:

ETA:

Karina Manta and Joe Johnson will be SkateProud's guests for an Instagram Live interview tomorrow Jun 16 at 11 am ET:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBeFJX-J92i/

dancelion21

On the Ice
I'm also curious if Nguyen/Kolesnik are going junior or senior. In an interview that Vadym did with a Russian news source, he said that the goal was to go senior this year with two Grand Prix assignments and to place top five at each of them. i'm not sure if that goal is changing depending on the current global situation and their training situation, since it doesn't seem like they've been training, or if they're even in the same state.

It seems like Kaitlin and Jean-Luc are still in upstate NY, and thus aren't training with the rest of Gadbois, who all returned to the ice today. Have any other US ice dancers returned to the ice? Have rinks opened in Michigan or Maryland?

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
It seems like Kaitlin and Jean-Luc are still in upstate NY, and thus aren't training with the rest of Gadbois, who all returned to the ice today. Have any other US ice dancers returned to the ice? Have rinks opened in Michigan or Maryland?

Not sure about Maryland, but Michigan has recently begun lifting restrictions. If Igor's rink isn't already open I'm sure it will be soon.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Have any other US ice dancers returned to the ice? Have rinks opened in Michigan or Maryland?

Not sure about Maryland, but Michigan has recently begun lifting restrictions. If Igor's rink isn't already open I'm sure it will be soon.

The Novi arena had taken its ice out, but recently put it back in, saying (I'm paraphrasing) that it was looking forward to whenever it would be allowed to reopen. I do not know whether reopening actually has happened yet.

FWIW: Meanwhile, there have been recent glimpses on social media showing that several of Shpilband's dancers (not limited to U.S. dancers) have been able to skate elsewhere in the U.S. (outside of Michigan).
(Lest anyone wonder: I am not suggesting that any dancers are having thoughts of leaving Team Novi and permanently relocating. I assume that the aforementioned dancers, who shall remain unnamed, will be returning to Novi when it reopens [if they have not already returned].)

I do not know whether any WISA dancers are back on ice, but anecdotally, I have noticed that (at least) one rink in Maryland has reopened.

ETA (on Jun 27):

Today Karina Manta interviewed Rachel Parsons on Insta Live on behalf of Skate Proud.
They talked at length about facing pressure in their competitive careers to be a certain size. Also about being gay.
Thanks to both of them for sharing their important conversation. :thank:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB8aLXfpVmq/ (Jun 27, 38:09)

The video also has been uploaded on Skate Proud's YT channel: https://youtu.be/9peWn3JEydQ

ETA (on Jun 29):

Out on the Ice: Figure Skating’s LGBTQ+ Community Has a Story to Tell -- And Many Chapters to Still Write

Joe Johnson and Karina are among the U.S. skaters (from three disciplines) who tell their stories in this article.​

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Could it be Vadym's citizenship issues? So unexpected!

If it is the citizenship issue, then it may be better to cut off the partnership now and find someone new to work with so that Beijing can still be the goal. But if citizenship is an issue for him to this degree, you'd have to think it's an issue for Christina Carreira also...(she doesn't have a Junior Worlds Gold even).

But from the way that Nguyen's post is phrased, it's possible that Kolesnik may just be done with high-level competition also.

dancelion21

On the Ice
Wow, I can't believe N/K split. Avonley is continuing to skate, but finding a partner will be very difficult. I'm wondering if Vadym doesn't want to skate anymore, or if citizenship would be too difficult to obtain.