2020-21 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2020-21 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
So - I'm late to this game, apparently - but I just saw Emmanuel Savary in the Peggy Fleming trophy. He wasn't on my radar at all. He's really got tremendous potential!! Such beautiful lines and musicality. Someone fill me in on why he doesn't seem to be really in the mix? Who coaches him?

I think he’s still coached by Tom Z, but he needed to change coaches yesterday. He was always a great skater, but unfortunately the jumps tend to get away from him in competition. He had a great FS at USNats a few years ago, but even then he gave up too many points on the jumps. He’s not on the National team and hasn’t skated internationally which is why he falls under the radar.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So - I'm late to this game, apparently - but I just saw Emmanuel Savary in the Peggy Fleming trophy. He wasn't on my radar at all. He's really got tremendous potential!! Such beautiful lines and musicality. Someone fill me in on why he doesn't seem to be really in the mix? Who coaches him?

IIRC: For one thing, the talented Emmanuel :luv17: has had some struggles with injury in multiple seasons. (Sorry that I don't remember details.)

Emmanuel's PFT graphic lists his coaches as Pam Gregory/Tom Dickson.
It also lists Colorado Springs as Emmanuel's training town. I don't think he has been there during the abnormal times of the pandemic -- it would be understandable for him to be with his family instead. His PFT video was recorded at Patriot Ice Center in Delaware.
(For the past couple of seasons, Emmanuel had belonged to Team Tom Z.)

Vincent Zhou has announced his new FS for 2020-21 and has shared bits of video. Looks exciting. :cool:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

He made 2020 US Nationals, but WD...injury? He was 3rd at Midwestern Sectionals.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Thanks, all, for the insight on Emmanuel Savary. Appreciate it! There is so much potential there - I hope he is able to continue to improve. He isn't anywhere in Jason's league, but he has some qualities that remind me of Jason.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Naumov: Yo, this cat turns 19 on August 1. He’s probably going to stay Junior another season ...

I do not know the basis for "probably"?

FWIW, on April 18, when speaking about his plans for the upcoming season, Naumov referred to "senior level now."
(Without specifying whether he meant for both domestic and international competition or for domestic only). ...

Update after my old comments from early June re Maxim Naumov:

Tatjana Flade interviewed him for the Jun 2020 issue of IFS magazine, with her article then published online yesterday. It says:

With one year of junior eligibility left, Maxim plans to compete at both the junior and senior levels next season.

https://www.ifsmagazine.com/maxim-naumov-parental-inspiration/

Now that we know that the JGP series officially is cancelled (although the interview must have happened before the announcement), I think the idea would be that he would aim to skate senior at 2021 Nats (if they happen) with an eye to having another good showing at Junior Worlds (if they happen). With the possibility of being assigned to a non-GP senior international and/or non-JGP junior international (if any of them happen).

Anyway, the whole article is worth reading.
Its title is, "Maxim Naumov: Parental Inspiration," and one of the major topics is what it's like to be coached by his World Champion parents (with quotes from all three family members).

I see the NQS has been cancelled for the year. So, assuming Regionals and Sectionals happen, would the skaters have to make minimum scores to compete in Nationals? I really hope not. 2 competitions doesn’t even seem enough to tweak one’s program for Nationals.

The next USFS announcement re qualifying season is scheduled for "early August," so perhaps we will learn more then about the fate of regionals/sectionals ... and of minimum scores for Nats this season??

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

I think finding the right coach is a struggle for him. I believe he is from Florida, which is not a hot bed for singles skating. He moved on to Tom Z, that seems to have not worked out. He has moved on, we will see.

He is honestly just lovely and has been for years. He actually competed in the JGP in the 11–12 but took a gap from until the 15–16. I am not sure what was going on there. Be it injury, breaks and introspection or both. But it is a gap nonetheless.

I do hope USFS support him more. On top of everything he has a 4S even.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think finding the right coach is a struggle for him. I believe he is from Florida, which is not a hot bed for singles skating. He moved on to Tom Z, that seems to have not worked out. He has moved on, we will see. ...

Although born in Florida, Savary trained in Delaware for some years (with Ron Ludington among his coaches there) before moving to Tom Z.

... He is honestly just lovely and has been for years. He actually competed in the JGP in the 11–12 but took a gap from until the 15–16. I am not sure what was going on there. Be it injury, breaks and introspection or both. But it is a gap nonetheless. ...

FWIW, Savary was competing during much of the unusual gap between his JGP appearances. Some examples are below (in Senior Men in all cases except 2011-12).
His years of absence from JGPs most likely were not by his choice. :( :ghug:

2015-16:

2014-15: 6th place at 2015 Eastern Sectionals (in Nov 2014)

2013-14:
Videos of his Senior Men's programs at 2013 Liberty: SP and FS
6th place at 2014 Eastern Sectionals (in Nov 2013)​

2011-12: 12th place in Junior Men at 2012 Nats

[In 2012-13, he was listed as a withdrawal from Senior Men at 2013 Eastern Sectionals (in Nov 2012).]

Looking forward to more of Emmanuel's lovely skating ... whenever non-virtual competition can resume.
And I hope that he will be back for his third year at Peggy Fleming Trophy in 2021.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emmanuel said that he had been training with Ron Ludington at U. Delaware since age 5, in this sweet tribute on "Luddy" 's passing this year:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAMY9yzJYjZ/

On a very minor level, I had no idea until seeing this intro that Emmanuel pronounced his last name with a long A in the first syllable. I was importing too much French pronunciation into "Savary".:laugh: And it's always Advent in July (or whenever) when he performs his "O come o come Emmanuel" program. :)

Having trained with Luddy from a young age, I don't think coaching is the issue. Emmanuel is very hot and cold, at least in the comps I have seen him in. When he's on, he's really on. When he is not, well..... Here's hoping the Peggy Fleming Trophy gives him a boost in whatever kind of season we have.:yes:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Emmanuel is very hot and cold, at least in the comps I have seen him in. When he's on, he's really on. When he is not, well..... Here's hoping the Peggy Fleming Trophy gives him a boost in whatever kind of season we have.:yes:

Emmanuel's post from Jan 2020 (emphasis added):

Unfortunately I have to withdraw from this years US National championship. As many of you know I have been struggling with ankle injuries over the last few years and my team and I have decided it’s best to take some time off and come back stronger next season. Thank you all for your continued support❤️❤️❤️

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7wJ0erJusl/ (Jan 25)​

His struggles with injuries could explain his inconsistency in more recent years.

(I don't know whether his reference to "the last few years" is intended to cover as far back as the JGP gap on Stitch's mind.)

ETA (on Jul 26):

On Ice Perspectives super slo-mo video of Joonsoo Kim's triple lutz:

The jump from GS favorite Joonsoo :bow: and the videography from Jordan Cowan :bow: both are awesome.

ETA (on Jul 29):

An update about Joonsoo:

Today he was named as a 2021 USFS Collegiate Ambassador, which is a newly created position. USFS selected 22 ambassadors "to support and promote collegiate skating in the United States."

Joonsoo participates in intercollegiate competition as a member of UCLA's team.

Plus he still is the reigning U.S. Collegiate champion in Senior Men.
(2020 Collegiates were scheduled for this very week ... but understandably were cancelled. :()​

(BTW, for those who remember Scott Brody, he is the Chair of the USFS Collegiate Skating Subcommittee.)​

ETA (on Jul 27):

Video snippet of Ryan Dunk's new FS:

Music: David Bowie medley
Choreographer: Colin McManus​

ETA (on Jul 28):

Video snippet of Ryan Dunk's new SP:

Music: ”Winter Song” - Leslie Odom Jr
Choreographer: Colin McManus​

ETA (on Aug 4):

Joonsoo Kim's complete new SP to In This Shirt -- shot by Jordan Cowan and streamed live by On Ice Perspectives on Aug 3:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDeIEWjpJzQ/ (posted Aug 4, 3:09 IGTV video)​

Joonsoo's skate can be seen also starting at approx. 46:55 within OIP's archived livestream of the entire LA Elite Ice live exhibition:

Goku Endo's skate to "New Girl" and "Shelter" can be seen starting at approx. 35:16:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Nathan Chen is surprised, grateful and posing questions about figure skating’s restart

Zaccardi's article gives Nathan's thoughts on yesterday's ISU announcement re the GP season.

ETA:
LOL, with hindsight, I see now that sheetz and I were posting at the same instant in different threads. :cool:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Torgashev has announced his music choices for his new competitive programs:

SP: A flamenco piece, which he described as "spicy." (He said that he did not know the title of the music, found on YouTube thru DWTS.)
FS: Imagine Dragons medley -- which starts off with Dream, transitions into Battle Cry, and finishes off with Radioactive.​

My understanding of Andrew's comments about choreo:
His SP is self-choreographed.
For his FS, the choreo process started with Sam Chouinard during quarantine, but Andrew on his own is making the transition of putting on ice what they did off ice, and adding in the jumps.
For both programs, Scott Brown is helping to make everything pristine.​

Andrew announced his programs at the end of Episode 32 of the Ice Tea podcast, published on Aug 17.
Starting at approx. 56:20, one of the hosts asked (not in a heavy-handed way at all) only "when" (meaning: in future) to expect Andrew's announcements.
To her pleasant surprise, he casually replied, "Let's just do them now!"
I was touched by his generosity :ghug: in making news for the Ice Tea hosts.

As a longstanding fan of his, I hasten to add that the entire interview with Torgashev is a real treat. :luv17:
It lasts approx. 32 minutes, starting at approx. 27:25.
I don't think I ever have heard him speak at such length. His responsiveness and good-natured humor throughout are endearing.
(Digression: I also enjoyed his demeanor in the long-ish interview in Russian at 2020 Junior Worlds, but the Ice Tea podcast was even better.)

Fans of Josh Farris will appreciate Andrew's many positive comments about Josh's choreo for Andrew's PFT program. Andrew looks forward to performing his PFT program again as an exhibition program. Instead of turning it into "work" (his phrasing) as a competitive program.

PFT is the overall topic of this episode, and the hosts asked whether Andrew received an actual physical medal.
When he explained that there was a medal ceremony on Zoom, he included the (cute!) detail that each medalist tilted his head closer to the camera to "receive" his medal.
(The physical medals will be shipped.)

Confession: I skipped ahead to the second half of the episode, which was the interview with Andrew. I now must go back and listen to the first half. Many thanks to the Ice Tea hosts. :thank:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Here are some Youtube links from the men's Senior competition at the Cup of Colorado, which was held this past weekend. Quality is not great since the stream had issues.

Vincent Zhou SP
Vincent Zhou FS

Camden Pulkinen SP

Tomoki Hiwatashi SP

Excited for Vincent. Working on expression while keeping the harder jumps. Great music choices. Especially Algorithm by Muse, choreo by Misha Ge for the free skate. LOL about the tribute to his namesake in his short. Can’t wait to see Vincent compete.

Tomoki also promising. That split jump :eeking:

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Excited for Vincent. Working on expression while keeping the harder jumps. Great music choices. Especially Algorithm by Muse, choreo by Misha Ge for the free skate. LOL about the tribute to his namesake in his short. Can’t wait to see Vincent compete.

Tomoki also promising. That split jump :eeking:

Interestingly I enjoyed Vincent's skating the most at Nationals earlier this year when he did not do as difficult of content but his overall skating and performance was improved. I am curious to see if he can maintain that improvement with adding back more difficult jumps. I have never really been a fan of his skating but I was intrigued after Nationals.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't you just love the sound of that crisp ice with blades sliding across it into a nice jump. It makes me smile.

Yes! I am going to donate to the Memorial Fund in support of him. If there is a Nationals next year I hope he makes it.

haribobo

On the Ice
USFS ISP Points Challenge

Videos here:
https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/sports/2020/9/8/isp-points-challenge-competition-central.aspx

JUNIOR MEN- SP
Will Annis 60.77
Joseph Klein 59.37
Samuel Mindra 58.55
Nicholas Hsieh 53.64
Lucas Altieri 53.35
Robert Yampolsky 49.07
Taira Shinohara 44.82
Liam Kapeikis 43.04
Lake Liao 40.28

JUNIOR MEN- FS (TOTAL SCORE)
Will Annis 167.06
Joseph Klein 166.42
Samuel Mindra 155.57
Lucas Altieri 153.85
Nicholas Hsieh 149.48
Rombert Yampolsky 139.60
Liam Kapeikis 130.52
Lake Liao 128.98
Taira Shinohara 125.33

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Per Emmanuel Savary's Instastory yesterday, his 2020-21 FS music will be from Black Panther.

Choreo by Tom Dickson.

And Emmanuel now is in Colorado Springs, per his (unrelated) Instastory content yesterday from Cheyenne Mountain Zoo.

U.S. Novice and Junior Challenge Skate videos and results (and skate orders) have been published today, as promised by USFS.

I have watched only Junior Men SP so far, and have restrained myself from looking at overall results.
Three of the five SPs were especially enjoyable for me, and I am happy to say that Goku Endo's was one of them. 🤗
(Purposely not saying more because I do not want to spoil anyone else's viewing.)

Happy also to see from the ISP Points Challenge that Lucas Altieri is competing this season, after recently moving north to start college (on campus).
(Only my wishful thinking, but maybe he will compete next week at the Boston Open??)

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Nathan Chen
SP: TBD
FS: TBD
GP Assignments: TBD
WR 4; SB 1
2019-2020 SB: TSS 335.30, FS 224.92 (WR), SP 110.38

Jason Brown
SP:
FS:
GP Assignments:
WR 6; SB 6
2019-2020 SB: TSS 274.82, FS 180.11, SP 94.71

Camden Pulkinen
SP: In This Shirt by the Irrepressibles; choreo: Joshua Farris
FS:
GP Assignments:
WR 17; SB 32
2019-2020 SB: TSS 244.78, FS 155.73, SP 89.05

Tomoki Hiwatashi
SP:
FS:
GP Assignments:
WR 21; SB 34
2019-2020 SB: TSS 240.78, FS 152.69, SP 88.09

Vincent Zhou
SP: Algorithm by Muse; choreo: Misha Ge
FS:
GP Assignments:
WR 23; SB 3
2019-2020 SB: TSS 231.95, FS 142.92, SP 89.03

Alexei Krasnozhon

SP: Heart Upon My Sleeve by Avicii and Imagine Dragons; choreo: Alex Johnson
FS:
GP Assignments:
WR 48, SB 41
2019-2020 SB: TSS 230.11, FS 153.19, SP 76.92

Maxim Naumov
SP:
FS:
GP Assignments:
WR 88, SB 48
2019-2020 SB: TSS 225.10 FS 149.90 SP 75.20

Andrew Torgashev
SP:
FS:
GP Assignments:
WR 28, SB 60
2019-2020 SB: TSS 217.54, FS 144.63, SP 81.50

Thoughts:

Chen: He's very obviously the top American and I think we’ll see the 4Lo from him next season. He doesn’t really need it as he has both a 4Lz and 4F, and I expect for his dominance to continue as his technical abilities are far beyond anyone else in the field.

Brown: He had a rough start with two wishy-washy competitions (barely missing the Grand Prix Final), but finished strong with silver medals at both USNats and 4CC. Brown is still going for the 4T in the free skate, but I would argue that he doesn’t even need it. Brown scored in the mid-270s at 4CC and very few skaters are scoring that high with quads. (Don’t believe me? Check out the SB list and the top ten scores for Worlds for the past five years). People are merely talking about hypothetical maximums and ignoring actual ability and what the quadsters consistently put out on the ice when they say that he must rely on mistakes from others for the podium. The dudes with quads are the ones that need to be clean, not the other way around. I consider Brown to be the US’s solid #2.

Pulkinen: He’s inconsistent but his 4T is solid enough. But when things go wrong, things go very wrong. He also gives up way too many points on spins and steps.

Hiwatashi: I really don’t know what to make of him. His Grand Prix season was mediocre, but he had a bronze medal turn at USNats and he wasn’t bad at 4CC. Maybe he’s a second-half skater? He doesn’t strike me as nervy and of his peers (Pulkinen, Krasnozhon, and Torgashev), he’s looking to be the one most likely to play spoiler for an Olympic spot.

Zhou: Zhou only had one international competition this season and it didn’t bode too well. He was expected to win easily, but then almost lost the bronze medal to Krasnozhon. He withdraw from his Grand Prix assignments and the next time we see him was at USNats. He placed fourth with watered down but clean programs. If there’s a time for him to fix his URs, it’s NOW because the new rules aren’t going to be his friend (or will they?) and he can be beaten by a US man other than Chen. The good news is that he’s already made a welcome coaching change and he doesn’t meltdown on the ice.

Krasnozhon: To be honest, I’m worried about him. He originally only had one GP spot last season and USFed passed him up for a 4CC nod. He’s already been surpassed by Hiwatashi. Pulkinen and Torgashev will surpass him too once they get their nerves together as they’re improving yet Krasnozhon seems to be regressing. His spins need a doctor and his jumps need a psychiatrist. He doesn’t jump his jumps; the jumps jump him. He also doesn’t have a solid quad – that 4Lo is << or < most of the time – and it’s the only quad he’s ever landed in international competition. His triples are solid (the 3A is even his best jump) but he’s too much of an acquired taste. His biggest strength is that, like Zhou, he doesn’t have meltdowns on the ice. In fact, he has his best skates when he’s pissed off and the pressure’s on. But that will only take him so far. The US men is getting kind of crowded and if improvements aren’t made, he’s in danger of never leaving US ice. I mean, he was already ignored for…okay, I’m done. Yup, I’m still salty about that. Moving on.

Naumov: Yo, this cat turns 19 on August 1. He’s probably going to stay Junior another season (something I strongly disagree with, but that’s another thread) and it will be to his benefit that he does. He doesn’t have a quad yet, but hey, his heroic free skate at Junior Worlds shows that skating clean speaks volumes. I can’t really say much about him as the first and only time I saw him was at Junior Worlds.

Torgashev: I already said enough about him already so I’ll make it brief. He missed the cut-off by 2 days, but he probably would have moved up to Seniors anyway. I think he’s the most talented of his peers and judges (both domestic and international) like him. For this reason, I’m not worried about GP spots for him. He’ll get at least one. And if there’s a second spot left over, he’ll probably get it over Krasnozhon. All the goods are there; he just needs to work on his head game.

*Special thanks to tosca as I used his or her format from the 2019-2020 US Men's thread.
This is really interesting - thanks for your insights. I was super-impressed by Emmanuel Savary at the Peggy Trophy - what do you think his prospects are?