Costumes you hope never to see again | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Costumes you hope never to see again

D

DJStuCrew

Re: Costumes you hope never to see again

Please, just make sure that Philippe Candeloro WEARS a costume! His performances remind me of a trashy male review.

Who remembers Nicole Bobek's "Pippy Longstocking" type outfits? I kept expecting her to yell "Grandfather! Grandfather!" or something. Glad she grew outta that!

M

mike79

Kirkyo

I had forgotten all about Dinev's costume last year. That might be the all time worst thing I've ever seen on a figure skater!!

S

sur la glace

Re: Skating Costumes we hope never to see again

I don't like AP McDonough's LP costume. I know she's skating to "Madam Butterfly" but does that mean a giant butterfly has to be plastered to her bodice. Let's hope Ann Patrice never skates to " Prelude to The Afternoon of a Fawn."

S

sur la glace

Re: Skating Costumes we hope never to see again

RealtorGirl,

That's a true "Separated at birth" comparison.

It looks like the photo was taken from the early-mid '90's.
I always liked Nicole's costumes.

G

GBMalwayz

?Oh, goodness gracious, DPP, the awful faux breastplate which did look like something madonna wouldn't even wear. He is fleshy, the man had boobs, part of what made it sa awful. I guess I had completely blocked that out, eeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww!

B

berthes ghost

- L&A's FD: I'm considering a law suit for 'visual assault'
- Sasha's LP Jenny hand-me-down: First I thought it was an old air hostess outfit, then a reject Star-Trek uniform, then decided that it was that spikey bulb type thing people put at the top of their Christmas trees.
- Liashenko LP: What the ...! You know it's bad when you're wearing things Irina casts off.
- German guy from Laique: Black pants and orange shirt with tatters streaming off and nude flesh slashes. Shreds kept comming off during warm-up and shirt rode up to expose his belly when he jumped.
- Tamura LP: Skated to "Interview with a Vampire" with a 'blood' splattered/seaquined shirt, one red glove, one white.
- T&M's SP: He had a friggin pile of fake leaves on his shoulder! combined with thier music, I thoiught that I was watching a comercial for bathroom deodorizer.
- Sasha SP: She looks like an ex-chorus girl from 'Nutcracker on Ice - Waltz of the Flowers'.
- Zang's SP: It was bad enough when we had to see phillippe wear it back in 98, now it's even worse.
- Honda's SP: ugly prom shirt form the 70s
- Honda's LP: Die Mummy, die!

Honerable mentions: they fit right in for a night out at a gay disco, but not for FS: Jeanette's tight shinny denim jean san shirt with exposed mid-drif, Weiss' tight leather pants and shinny psycodellic t-shirt, Weiss' tight pants and sparkly tight shirt for Malequena.

S

SteveKmetko374

Ilia Klimkin "Afternoon of a Faun" oufit - It looked like it had moss growing on it.

Ilia Kulik "Rhapsody in Blue" "make me wanna throwup" shirt - gross yellow leather with black chips in it.

Irina - the old feather oufit she wore years ago and this year's SP outfit

Sasha - ITA with whoever said bring back the nice outfit from Skate Canada and drop the 'sports' dress (that's what it looks like) maybe she's saving the nice one for Nat's GPF and Worlds.

Sarah Hughes - the black sparkly number she wore at Cambell's soup

K

kirkyo

Re: Sasha's LP

Well i guess i'm in the minority here but i have to state that i am a fan of that dress. I like the retro feel.

Classy and classic. So there :Þ

G

GBMalwayz

Re: Sasha's LP

Hi kirkyo,

I like the dress too. Its elegant. I don't think its her most flattering dress. Or it doesn't fit her right. I think that is why people don't like it, its just on the wrong body.

D

diehardplushenkofan

costumes I never wanna see again

Ladies:
--Irina Slutskaya's "Culture" SP dress from the 2000-2001 season
--Irina Slutskaya's hot pink and black "Don Quixote" FS dress from the 2000-2001 season
--Irina Slutskaya's gray "Schindler's List" dress
--Tonya Harding's infamous purple/gold dress
--Michelle Kwan's "Song Of The Black Swan" dress worn at the 2002 GPF
--Yulia Soldatova's flower dress from 1999-2000
--Irina Slutskaya's "Serenade" SP dress from last year (AKA the Kleenex dress)

Men:
--most of Frederic Dambier's costumes
--Silvio Smalun's FS costume
--Takeshi Honda's original "Mummy" costume
--Alexei Yagudin's "Broken Arrow" costume
--Alexei Yagudin's 1st "Nutrocker" SP costume from 1999-2000
--Alexei Urmanov's "Prince Of Egypt" costume

Pairs:
--Tatiana Totmianina's SP dress
--Kyoka Ina's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" SP dress

Dance:
--Lobacheva/Averbukh's FD costumes from last year
--Irina Lobacheva's green/black cocnut bra Latin OD costume worn at the 2000 GPF, Euros, and Worlds
--Galit Chait's "Paginini" dress
--Maya Usova's Latin OD dress w/the things on boobs
--Bourne/Kraatz's orginal "March W/Me" costumes
--Elena Grushina's "Songs Of The Victorious City" costume worn at the 99 Worlds
--Marina Anissina's "Doctor Petiot" tango OD dress (the one that makes you look straight at her boobs and w/the black swirls all over it. It was later worn by Nelly Gourvest and Natalie Pechalat.
--Marina Anissina's original "Ahla Leila" FD dress w/the coconut bra; it also makes one look straight at her boobs
--Tatiana Navka's "Funeral For A Friend" dress from 2000-2001 (I love his costume though)
--Maya Usova's "Deset Rose" dress
--Usova/Platov's white flowered "Spente le Stelle" costumes
--Fusar-Poli/Margoglio's 1st 2 sets for their FD "Romeo & Juliet"

L

lilicedancer

Re: costumes I never wanna see again

Cohen's purple butterfly winged dress for her LP earlier this season.
Kulik's techno giraffe outfit.
Honda's mummy outfit.
That French guy's star/dirt LP outfit. (BTW, that has to be one of the dumbest programs ever.)
The Italians bright pink FD outfits from the Olympics.
Anything Plushenko has ever worn.

N

nysk8r

You call Cohen's costume a purple butterfly? I call it a russian easter egg :p
It's the one she wore at Skate Canada right?

L

lilicedancer

I think so, I've sorta lost track...

S

Sk8Geek

Bad costume genres

Joan of Arc costumes....
Pocohantas costumes...
Pseudo-Spanish style dresses masquerading as "Carmen" or "Flamenco"....
Outfits accentuating muscules in the Ladies event a la Harding's icky 1994 Oly selections....
Brides on ice....
Urmanov's "Swan Lake" LP white/black outfit....
Elvis's "Dragon" outfit....he wore it out of the closet after 4 years without ironing early in the season....ugh!
Come to think of it...all Karate on ice outfits.
Candeloro's birthday suit---seen it too many times :rollin:
Ice Dance costumes that resemble rags....
Ice Dancer's hair colors matching the rags (a la Lobacheva)...
Les Miserable pair outfits...
Frilly male pair skater outfits to match the feminity of the lady partner....
Silver lame costumes---they look like aluminum foil...
Leotards with three beads and/or feathers tacked on to resemble a skirt---tryinng to be a dress....
Nude netting, mesh netting (see through) or mid-drift outfits in the Men's event...

S

spyralz

Re: Bad costume genres

costumes that should never be worn again:

Ilia kulik's-Rhapsody in blue
Evgeny Plushenko-Michael Jackson, Carmen
most of the outfits worn during the OD at the olympics 02

I am sure I will be able to think of more later

~Spyralz

S

SingAlto

Bad costume genres

I've seen a lot of ugly stuff in the past 15 years, and I think I saw the majority of it during yesterday's ice dance portion of the Cup of Russia comp. Oy! Terry Gannon was having a barb-filled field day at the male ice dancers' expense, but I totally agreed with him-- "Vegas lounge acts" is an apt description.

Off the top of my head, here are a few others that I've seen in the past that have haunted me:

Sandhu's "Heidi On Acid" outfit
Yuka Sato's "Sozo" (I believe that's how it's spelled"), yellow & red striped fiasco
90% of anything Katarina has ever worn.
99% of anything Plushenko has worn.
Everything Alexei Urmanov has ever worn.
Nearly everything that Surya Bonaly has ever worn.
Shae-Lynn's "Bo Peep Gone Bad" outfit.
Everything Bestemianova & Bukin ever wore.
Oksana's "Electric Poodle" LP outfit from '94.
Kurt Browning's "Rocketeer" outfit, and the pink & orange 70's reject that he wore for Ice Wars this year. <strong>My eyes! My eyes!</strong>

A

Aloft02

I'm in total agreement on Sandhu's "Heidi on Acid" getup, and must add Arakawa's "Dominatrix Swan" leather/feather thing!
I'm getting Tonya Harding vibes from Irina's LP dress this year, and there isn't enough duct tape in the world to make me like Honda's "Mummy".

S

spyralz

There are certain skaters who rarely wear nice outfits some of them are:

Evgeni Plushenko
Irina Slutskaya
Tonya Harding
Alexei Urmanov

There are others, but I can't think of any of them right now

~Spyralz

L

Linny

Feathers

While I usually hate feathers of any sort, I'm kinda liking Arakawa's white feather SP. Only on her, though. She just has the bearing to pull it off, I suppose.
Linny