My Spawn is Gone! | Golden Skate

My Spawn is Gone!

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I don't usually post info about life events and such on-line, but this one's pretty major and since I hang out here so often anyway... It's time for "internet as therapy" with Ravyn Rant! Thank you for your indulgence.
So my Spawn, the Amazon Princess, who used to post here back when she had free time, decides it's time to take the big step and move in with her sweetie.

NEWSFLASH: Empty Nest Syndrome is a MYTH! A MYTH, I tell you! :rock:

But since I'm the Mom, I could wish that she'd decided to get an apartment with a girl friend, rather than take both the big steps at once and move out of Mom's and in with the boyfriend. Probably since I did just that myself, and that's how the Spawn came to be! I just hate it when my life fits a demographic pattern, or am I the only one that does that? Again, however, since I AM The Mom, I'm confident in her judgment and I really like her choice. He fits into our geeky little family quite well, and that's where the figure skating angle comes into it. (And aren't you glad there is one?)

Hee! I get to brag on my baby's darlin'. :biggrin:

When they first started going out - interestingly enough, it coincided with the start of figure skating season - it soon became apparent to the Amazon Prince Consort (snicker...she's gonna love that...mwah ha ha...) that Spawn was one of that rare breed, the True Figure Skating Fanatic. Like her mother before her... :love:

Now most of you would agree that the average young heterosexual American male would recoil in horror at the idea of long weekend afternoons spent watching figure skating with a girl who provides interesting counterpart to the commentary. (Example: Chait and Sakhnovsky open their free dance. Sergei looms over Galit and Spawn cries out, "DRACUL!" That girl is FUN to watch tee-vee with, I'm tellin' ya.) :rofl:

So what does the APC do? Run away? Hide under the table? Nope. He goes home and googles "figure skating" so he would be able learn enough to talk with her about it. C'mon, ladies, how many guys that you've just started dating have done that for you? She was impressed enough that she started researching his favorite sport, one even more obscure in this country than figure skating - English football. Now how cute is that?

I think the Spawn's going to be all right. Meanwhile, I think I'll invite myself over for dinner and the ladies' final at Worlds.

Thanks for letting me vent.
xoxo,
Rave

Ah, the old "pretend to be interested in figure skating" ploy strikes again!:laugh:

Sunrise...sunset.

A thoughtful time in a parent's life.

Mathman:)

Glacierskater

On the Ice
So how do you get the glazed over look and drool to be replaced by some modicum of interest, even if only for mere appearances? I can live with that....

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Glacierskater said:
So how do you get the glazed over look and drool to be replaced by some modicum of interest, even if only for mere appearances? I can live with that....
:laugh:
When I watched with the Spawn's dad, I over-emphasized the jumps. Respect for the athleticism involved kept him at least mildly attentive.
A male friend of mine started asking questions about the competitions during a conversation last night - you could have knocked me down with a feather!
I'm hoping it's the old "feigning interest in figure skating" ploy that Mathman referred to. ;)
Rave