Torvill & Dean gushing thread | Golden Skate

Torvill & Dean gushing thread

tdnuva

On the Ice
Torvill & Dean gushing thread ;)

As there was no message yet in The Edge I thought about starting one - in this case about my all-time greatest Torvill & Dean. :cool:

For me they're the essence of skating. Of course I saw the famous Bolero in 1984 but then didn't see much of them during their pro career. Late in the 90's during a holiday I found a tape in Britain with many routines by them and that re-newed my interest.

The most wonderful routine for me is Encounter - more than 6 minutes during which I hardly breathe (at least it seems so for me). :D

So - do you love or hate them - or something in between? What's your memory of their skating? (or choreography btw)

Last edited:

tdnuva

On the Ice
oops - sorry :(

Perhaps I should have chosen another title.... Tried to change it but I didn't really succeed....

nymkfan51

Medalist
Torvill and Dean

I absolutely LOVED Torvill and Dean. I still remember how I felt the night they skated Bolero at the Olympics. It remains to me one of the most memorable moments in skating. They were so innovative ... so different than all the others. I have never been a huge fan of ice dancing, but they surely were the exception!!!

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Love Torville and Dean as well. In a sport where the man often "presented" the female as they skated, I couldn't take my eyes off of Chris. As a team they were fantastic, but he is one of the greatest figure skaters of all time (in my opinion of course)...42

ostile17

Rinkside
T&D

Genius, passion, heart, art, perfection.

No one compares to this unique couple.
Hard to top these two, no one has, and I doubt anyone ever will.

I've had the chance to see them performing many, many times, and the priviledge to meet them on several occasions. They are both great athletes and wondeful human beings.

I also think that Encounters is their best routine.
I've had the chance to see them performing that a few years ago, and it was one of the most emotional moments I can recall in my life.
I had tears in my eyes when they finished skating, and my heart was overflowing.

Definitely my favorite skaters, I'll bow to them till the end of time.

And by the way...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to CHRIS who happen to turn 45 tomorrow, July 27th.
A world of love and happiness to you and to your family.

Love, Lucia

heyang

Record Breaker
T&D are my favorite ice dancers of all time. The 1st time I saw them was while watching the 84 Oly's - their infamous pase doble and Bolero. They were mesmerizing. None of the other dancers drew me in.

Encounters is also one of my favorite programs. I recall seeing it during world Pros. The commentators said that the music was longer then the rules allowed, but that no one would complain about it. The entire performance was enchanted.

I thrilled that they returned to Oly competition in 94 and was very disappointed that they earned 'only a Bronze'. Since I'm from North America, I really enjoyed their Fred & Ginger routine and felt that it complied with the rules of dance at that time. Grishuk and Platov were good, but didn't seem to dance with movement IMO (Thanks to Joesitz, I understand now that the jitterbug is not a dance that moves across the floor). I think I was especially disppointed in their high placement because of the many separations and Platov's stumble. Usova and Zhulin's routine held no interest for me.

Shortly afterwards, i was able to watch them perform with Stars On Ice in NYC. They really brought a lot to the show. Adapting their Hat Trick routine to the entire cast. My uncle attended just because they were performing, too.

I really feel they are legends in ice dance because of their innovativeness and presentation skills.

Panther2000

On the Ice
I too love T&D

I belive that they are one of the greatest Dance teams ever, if not the best. They were different without going over the edge. You can feel them when they skate.

I too was very very ticked off at the 1994 games. They should have atleast gotten the silver medal. I did not care for the rock & roll number that was performed by G& P. It had movement with no Soul behind it.

I do belive that T&D have set the standard for todays Dance teams.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
show 42 said:
Love Torville and Dean as well. In a sport where the man often "presented" the female as they skated, I couldn't take my eyes off of Chris. As a team they were fantastic, but he is one of the greatest figure skaters of all time (in my opinion of course)...42

ITA... Chris is just amazing... both on the ice and as a choregrapher ;)

Antilles

Medalist
I think they are great, and were very innovative. I do however think "Bolero" is a little overblown. I don't think anything could live up to all that hype. :) It was incredibly innovative, but there didn't seem to be a whole lot of "dancing" in it, IMO.

I do love their Hat routine. They always came up with something new. I've never seen Encounters, now you all have me interested.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
All dad remembers is the end of their Bolero program and the row of 6.0s... they're the reason he watched figure skating LOL

I have not seen Bolero all the way thru... isn't that weird? LOL

one of my ultimate faves of theirs(all of theirs are among my fav all time programs) is "Take Five" they skated it in Stars On Ice one year... it's on the Best of Stars On Ice Volume One... very cool program :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
A dance thread! Even if it is about T&D from so long ago. My favorite ever ice dancers.

When T&D were skating, ice dance was the hottest ticket at World's. There were even respectable crowds at the CD's.
The OSP's were packed with people hanging off the rafters.

When you look at the very sparsely attended dance event in DC this year, you wonder how ice dance can to alienate it's fans so.

Dance needs to look to T&D's example and reinvent itself again.

My favorite T&D program has to be their Paso Doble OSP from 1984.

dpp

Germanice

On the Ice
They're great without any doubt ... legends ... pioneers ... they brought ice dance into another dimension ... the story tellin' one. But they've never been my total favourites, because they've been a little bit too perfect for my taste. That's why I'll always prefer the Duchesnays and call them my personal "legends" .... T/D did always amaze me, but it was D/D who always really touched my heart.

Anke

Last edited:

icenut84

Final Flight
Torvill & Dean are my all time favourite skaters. Watching them perform in 1994 is my first memory of ice skating (I was 10) and I was drawn in instantaneously. I was outraged when they were given the bronze in the Olympics, because I loved their routine so much, and even when I watch the competition now (with better knowledge of skating and ice dance) I fail to see why they didn't win. BUT - this is not a bash thread or a way to beat a dead horse, so I digress.

My favourite T&D routine, although that's difficult to say, is probably Encounter. For those who haven't seen it, it's over 6 minutes long and totally beautiful. They started and finished at opposite ends of the ice to each other. They only did 2 backward crossovers in the whole routine. It's pure choreography, dance, innovation, style, emotion. Interesting and original lifts, steps, shapes etc. The music is a piano piece called January Stars, by George Winston. It's on two of the videos they released - the video of the Face The Music tour, and also on The Story So Far (coverage of that routine taken from the FTM tour video).

My other favourites include Let's Face The Music and Dance (94 Olympics), Bolero (84), Paso Doble (84), Mack and Mabel (82), Summertime (82), Barnum (83), Song of India, Diablo Tango, Missing, plus many more.

NanSinger2

On the Ice
It doesn't seem like anyone has ever really been able to fill their shoes. I sure wish I had their 84 Olympic performance on tape.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Nansinger2,
Path to Perfection, a compilation of T&D competitive programs, including Bolero and their '84 Paso Doble is still available on amazon.com.

If you like T&D but don't have any tapes of them, this is one to get.

dpp

Pookie

Final Flight
Doris,

Is the "Path to Perfection" the original programs? I have "The Artistry of Torvill and Dean". I like it but I would love to have the competitive skates on tape.

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
I just picked up the "Magic Memories on Ice" tape from eBay. It has the original competitive program on it. Beautiful!

Nan

tdnuva

On the Ice
Path to perfection is completely about T&D in contrast to Magic memories on ice which is about a lot of skaters... Depends on what you want.

On Path to perfection is the Bolero from the Europeans 1984. I'm not sure which version is on Magic memories on ice (I think the Olympics, but not sure). Path to perfection also includes very early footage and: Mack and Mabel, Barnum on ice, Summertime, Capriccio espagnol.

If you find a tape called "The very best of T&D" on eBay you get even more. This is a compilation which was made without the knowledge of T&D, but nevertheless... It's the whole Path to perfection PLUS Fire & ice PLUS the BBC (?) footage of the British nationals 1994 concerning Torvill & Dean.

Fire & ice is a story on ice plus ballet dancers from 1986 - great.

Another good deal would be "The story so far" which includes Bolero, several earlier things like Summertime, Barnum, Mack and Mabel and - other than on Path to perfection - a lot of pro routines by them.... (made in 1996).