Skating Awards go digital | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skating Awards go digital

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I did not followed this at all.
Is the spoiler about Alina winning?
Most valuable skater is such a dumb and vague definition that everybody will just vote for his favorite even if he/she's had the worst season ever, and Alina has a lot a really dedicated fans.
A question that would at least invite the fans to evaluate even from their own biased lens would be more interesting.

I would have definitely put a question for the favorite gala ex for example.
It's a moment that is purely for the fans and not for the competition.

No, he literally said Alina won't get nominated/won't win anything "because of her team". What team, what they did wrong, no idea.
But it clearly shows that the award has nothing to do with fans' votes.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Though I love the skating of all three of Alena, Anna, and Sasha, I wish Anna were also nominated for best newcomer. She may not have 4 different quads like Sasha (but she has 2 ones of her own!), but she did beat her in all of their match-ups this season and won Russian Nationals :think:.

Pantsu

On the Ice
1) Most Valuable Skater
Honors the Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple who best managed to increase the level of popularity of Figure Skating with their fan base, media attention and sponsor appreciation.

Zagitova should be on the list

2) Best Costume
Honors the Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple whose costume reflects creativity, contemporary implementation, fashion, style and originality.

I don't understand how it honors the skater. It's not like they made customes themselves. It should be the tailor or designer

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure why anyone would take this seriously, it's an awards show. Like taking YouTube views, or likes, or any of that seriously. They're all just for fun:biggrin:

That said, I think it would be cool to see Charlie and Tanith White commenting together, so who knows, if I have a few moments, I may watch:)

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I'm not sure why anyone would take this seriously, it's an awards show. Like taking YouTube views, or likes, or any of that seriously. They're all just for fun:biggrin:
I agree it's for fun, but you can't blame people to be confused about the selection process. Like even though I don't like Gleikhenghauz's choreo, you have to wonder why he wasn't chosen given that the judges shower it with PCS. Or maybe it means he's out of favour and we'll get someone better now yippee!

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I want to see Kevin Aymoz win Most Entertaining. His reaction would undoubtedly be epic :)

Also, that SP is, in fact, a great program, and quite entertaining.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree it's for fun, but you can't blame people to be confused about the selection process. Like even though I don't like Gleikhenghauz's choreo, you have to wonder why he wasn't chosen given that the judges shower it with PCS. Or maybe it means he's out of favour and we'll get someone better now yippee!

But aren't awards shows just for that: popularity contests *independent* of the judges? :)

I came up, as the kids say, "stanning" Toller Cranston. Who due to the point structure then his best result was a sympathy bronze at the Olys. Yet he was far and away more popular than skaters consistently ranked above him and of course in my opinion the "best".

My disregard of judging as independent arbiters is deep rooted.:biggrin:

And I am not a fan of .25 second spirals either....;)

SkateSkates

Medalist
Where is Sui/Han?? I thought for sure they were going to make the top 3 for most entertaining program. How is the ISU supposed to keeps Pairs as a discipline alive when they continue to overlook it?

Skatesocs

Final Flight
But aren't awards shows just for that: popularity contests *independent* of the judges? :)

Yeah but what is the selection process then? It's not transparent at all, and we did have media and "experts"(?) picking them, so based on what criteria. After all, fandom is based in results, too, partly. Plus judging/winning gets visibility and endorsement. So the judging will be somewhat of a hidden variable in all this. What criteria did they use for "best choreographer"? The one who fetched the most scores or the quality? If media and expertise doesn't think Gleikhenghauz is all that great, why does he pull in scores? OTOH, if the judges think he's so great and they're supposed to be an authority, what amount of trust should we assign a selection process that can't recognize that quality? Plus some people being confused on this thread means he has fans who probably overlap with Russian Lady fans, who likely did vote.

Why are there two men in the MVP category? I can hardly believe a Russian lady wouldn't make it in. If none of this matters... Why have it at all? "Fun" isn't a good enough reason for this cumbersome process.

Where is Sui/Han?? I thought for sure they were going to make the top 3 for most entertaining program. How is the ISU supposed to keeps Pairs as a discipline alive when they continue to overlook it?

And this lol

Fried

Final Flight
If the whole thing is taken so seriously here. Can someone explain to me why a skater gets the price for the best costume? What a bs?! What does the skater have to do with it? Nothing, except that he took the costume and put it on. The award belongs to the seamstress, not the wearer.

McBibus

On the Ice
1) Most Valuable Skater
Honors the Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple who best managed to increase the level of popularity of Figure Skating with their fan base, media attention and sponsor appreciation.

Zagitova should be on the list

I don't like the inclusion of sponsor in this a little bit, but since it's there I believe Alina is the only skater testimonial for a non sport related worldwide known brand.
Only other thing to say is "Natan Who?!"

Caustica

Final Flight
I don't like the inclusion of sponsor in this a little bit, but since it's there I believe Alina is the only skater testimonial for a non sport related worldwide known brand.
Only other thing to say is "Natan Who?!"

Surely you are excluding Yuzuru here...? Perhaps a moot point, though -- I doubt he would be the one you would suggest to be removed to include Alina :laugh:

https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...ing-awards-2020-are-revealed?templateParam=15
No Shcherbakova for the best newcomer
No Gleikhengauz for the best choreographer

Diversity circus

And what is so "diverse" about 3 white people being nominated exactly?

Not passing a judgement on whether or not I agree with those three nominations, but it's surely impossible to claim that this list was created purely for diversity purposes.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
whole post

I guess I'm too accustomed to awards from my other great sports fandom, the NFL. No one knows how the nominees are selected, no one knows how they won, yet everyone watches and gripes and moans, as befits sports fans.:laugh:

My favorite is actually the Walter Payton Man of the Year, which is awarded for community service. Each team nominates a player, (who knows how), twitter votes are sought and much retweeting is done, and the Committee ignores the actual tweeting votes (they say they take them into account). And griping about transparency, etc. These skating awards are no better and no worse. :shrug:

And should anyone be tempted to say, well, WPMOY, who cares? I guarantee you that any random American pulled off the street is far more likely to know the WPMOY than *any* skating champion of the past four years. Including American skating champions.

On this Board, we are a different breed and we love skaters. :)

Last edited:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I guess I'm too accustomed to awards from my other great sports fandom, the NFL. No one knows how the nominees are selected, no one knows how they won, yet everyone watches and gripes and moans, as befits sports fans.:laugh:

My favorite is actually the Walter Payton Man of the Year, which is awarded for community service. Each team nominates a player, (who knows how), twitter votes are sought and much retweeting is done, and the Committee ignores the actual tweeting votes (they say they take them into account). And griping about transparency, etc. These skating awards are no better and no worse. :shrug:

And should anyone be tempted to say, well, WPMOY, who cares? I guarantee you that any random American pulled off the street is far more likely to know the WPMOY than *any* skating champion of the past four years. Including American skating champions.

On this Board, we are a different breed and we love skaters. :)

You’ve inspired me, El. Maybe next year Golden Skate could add an annual award honoring skaters for Outstanding Community Service—like the Walter Payton! I can think of several worthy candidates. Admins, what say you?

McBibus

On the Ice
Surely you are excluding Yuzuru here...? Perhaps a moot point, though -- I doubt he would be the one you would suggest to be removed to include Alina :laugh:

Nathan OR Yuzuru (see below for why "OR")
I'm most puzzled at having two man out of 3 nominees.
It should be said that both of them are the stars of an entire great skating school (US and JP) so it is understandable indeed.
P/C just have a demigod status nobody can deny.

I will just exclude the award.
"Most valuable skater"
What does that mean?

If it's for the career the nominees should be P/C, Yuzuru and Alina
If we look at the current year they should be Aliona, Nathan and open debate for the third
Problem is this award is neither

Who did the most for figure skating popularity this year? To me is the 3A: their flooded the skating scene like a tidal wave and their friendly rivarly is the most amazing thing that happened in skating in years.
I can't explain how Anna has been left out from best newcomer.

In the end we need 5 nominees instead of 3 and we will all be happy :biggrin:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Nathan OR Yuzuru (see below for why "OR")

In the end we need 5 nominees instead of 3 and we will all be happy :biggrin:

This. Good suggestion to have 5 nominees. Then there would have been the possibility to include 3 young Russian ladies. With 3 nominees, that is impossible, because having nominees from just one country would be considered wrong by many people. And regrettably Anna lost that one. Still, her costume is still in the game (I definitely am not going to discuss the whole idea of awarding the designers, much as I would like to award them).

It's all fluffy stuff to me, even though I voted on the long lists of the categories (except for the liftime one because I couldn't, just being a fan). To be fair to the ISU: Alina was on those lists (but I forgot in which categories). I feel there's too many people taking this thing all too seriously. We've got something similar at home (in The Netherlands) called the 'sportsman and sportswoman' of the year. I haven't the faintest idea how the nominees are chosen, but it's got something to do with being successfull and popular among the Dutch populace. So, evidently there's usually a group of speed skaters on the list. I don't watch because I'm not interested in the sports, but I am going to watch this. Do I really care why some are nominated and others aren't? Nope. It was fun voting on the long lists, but I have never considered this whole awards thing to be serious compared to real competitions and results achieved there. Oh, and I would love an additional award for Community service...good suggestion El Henry and Seven Sisters!

Let's all just enjoy this fluff and not worry about the lack of transparency. It's not as if such an award replaces winning a Championship!