Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coaching Changes that Made a Difference

Rinkside

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by macy View Post
    also a big one that came to mind- Ashley Wagner's move to John Nicks (and eventually Raf) changed her entire career.
    This is the one that immediately came to mind for me as well. Also, Mariah Bell from Kori Ade to Raf.

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by *~RussianBleux~* View Post
    Papadakis and Cizeron to Montreal. Going from 13th in the World to WC the next year in Ice Dance is insanity.
    Agree. They were the first ones I thought of when I saw this thread. It was insanity (in the best way)!

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    I still to this day do not understand this "deal". Fassi conspired with whom? And what was he telling them? "If you let my skater win, I will sacrifice a skater from a different country that I am not coaching"?? It makes no sense, really. What's his leverage? He's not giving up anything, only gaining something.
    I, too, have never really understood how people obtain "influence" in organizations like the ISU.

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by el henry View Post
    Forgive the double post, but completely different subject: the Canadian judge just ensuring that Toller got some medal, which he of course richly deserved. If not that night, for body of work
    You're one of the dearest friends I have on this board, and a fellow Toller fan to boot...

But I am always compelled to speak against any hint that the Olympics should be some sort of Lifetime Achievement Award.

The Olympics, like every other competition, should be won on the merits of how the skaters performed at that event only. Otherwise the Olympics are reduced to some sort of Hall of Fame induction or People's Choice awards.

I very much wish that skaters like Michelle Kwan and Kurt Browning were able to add "Olympic Champion" to their resumes, but they did not earn it on the night.

Toller deserved his medal, and not because of prior performances. Of course, you added the "grin" emoji, so perhaps your post was tongue-in-cheek.

Medalist

2 Not allowed!
    While Raf Arutyunyan has undeniably been great for putting everything together for Nathan, I do think his time with Marina Zueva helped him a lot artistically and with his confidence in competition.

Medalist

5 Not allowed!
    Shizuka Arakawa to Tarasova right before winning 2004 worlds and then to Morozov right before winning 2006 Olympics. Something about the new environment clearly helped her reset, get out of a rut, and reach her full potential to peak for the biggest events in her career.

3 Not allowed!
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Carlo Fassi see Caryn Kadavy fall five times at a Regionals and then offered to coach her, and then VOILA!!!! Fassi definitely made Caryn Kadavy's career. (She really could have won 86 Worlds had she not needed her head helmet in the short program....)

Fangirl of men’s spirals and split jumps el henry's Avatar

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    whole post
    Oh have you not heard about the "Toller Exception" <many big grin emojis>

We do agree on this, my friend, although I do not know how many others share our (rightful) thinking. If it were up to me, Ross Miner would have gone to the 2018 Olympics. What you put on the ice in any particular competition matters, and to me, that is what makes figure skating a sport.

But you never forget your first love, and thus the Toller exception
    Last edited by el henry; 06-30-2020 at 08:21 PM. Reason: spelling

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by el henry View Post
    Oh have you not heard about the "Toller Exception" <many big grin emojis>

We do agree on this, my friend, although I do not know how many others share our (rightful) thinking. If it were up to me, Ross Miner would have gone to the 2018 Olympics. What you put on the ice in any particular competition matters, and to me, that is what makes figure skating a sport.

But you never forget your first love, and thus the Toller exception
    People who think that Toller did not earn his medal are just wrong. I also agree with you about Ross Miner, but I can understand those who don't. His non-selection was in accordance with the criteria... so my problem is really with the criteria.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateSkates View Post
    Shizuka Arakawa to Tarasova right before winning 2004 worlds and then to Morozov right before winning 2006 Olympics. Something about the new environment clearly helped her reset, get out of a rut, and reach her full potential to peak for the biggest events in her career.
    8 years to go from whatever the heck this is, to this. Tarasova really demonstrated the extent of her coaching talent with Shizuka. At least with Sasha and Mao, she had a great start to build on, but Shizuka was pretty unremarkable in terms of natural artistry when she picked her up. I feel like Shizuka just ran away from Tarasova because of the downright fugly costumes she made her wear. The woman has the worst fashion sense in all of skating. Some of the choices she made for Shizuka and Mao were straight up hate crimes. I'm not surprised Shizuka was like, lol, I'm not wearing a violin cutout or bloody mummy wrappings to the friggen Olympics.

0 Not allowed!
    Wow...

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts MGstyle's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Kevin Aymoz to Zimmerman & Fontana.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure about this one, since he was successful with both coaches, but I would argue that Browning's move to Stong made a difference to his skating if not his success.

3 Not allowed!
    The Girl Without A Face
    Quote Originally Posted by layman View Post
    Everybody who switched to Tatiana Tarasova (too many to name; including Kulik, Yagudin, Asada, Arakawa, Cohen,
    Not for the best skating-wise imo. Worse programs, layouts and costumes than with Raf. Especially the second season.
    Only Clair de lune was good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123