Interesting choreographers with low international profiles | Golden Skate

Interesting choreographers with low international profiles

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
A handful of choreographers like Lori Nichol, Tom Dickson, Benoit Richaud, Ilia Averbukh, Nikolai Morozov etc. are well-known to global viewers since they tend to work with many top-ranked or national team skaters.

However, during this skating draught I've been rewatching some of the smaller competitions of the season (JGPs, domestic competitions in countries with deep fields etc.) and paying attention to earlier groups in major events like Euros. I noticed quite a few interesting programmes choreographed by names I'm not very familiar with.

Some examples:
-Valentin Molotov (Aleksandr Selevko SP - everything just looks cool)
-Ilona Protasenya (Kseniia Sinitsyna LP, Matvei Vetlugin SP - I really like the step sequences!)
-Alena Samarskaia (Shevchenko/Eremenko LP - quirky)
-Misao Sato (Yuhana Yokoi SP - full of character and suits her to a T - also like his work for Shun Sato's SP)

I find it harder to find information on Russian and Japanese choreographers in particular, perhaps due to my language barrier, plus the fact that some tend not to work with skaters from outside their countries.

If there are any lesser-known choreographers that you feel deserve more attention from the international skating community, would like to request or provide background information on them, feel free to post! :)

PS this isn't meant to be a comparison of the best choreographers (that's in another thread). Their works need not be top-tier or faultless - as long as they have something that stands out, for instance a refreshing concept or some innovative moves.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
There are some good choreographers at Europeans Champs. Giada Russo used to have really nice programs, choreograhed by Edoardo de Bernardis. I think her choreographer also worked with Kostner.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Let me introduce Korea's best choreographer working right now, the one and only Yeaji Shin. Loved Haein's Firedance FS? That's her work. My beloved Seoyoung's Chinese themed SP or Amélie FS caught your eye? Her masterful touch. Basically half of a season's junior programs here (and a load of domestic seniors as well) are done by her. All hail. :bow:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I've liked Michael Huth's work for Nicole Schott this past season.

chanchan

On the Ice
Nadia Kanaeva - her work for Kseniia Sinitsyna SP is a masterpiece!
also Nathan Chen's Michael Jackson SP.

readernick

Medalist
I was impressed with the work of Nikolai Nikonov for Kazakova/ Reviya (Junior Ice dancers) this season. I felt it was the best choreographed Russian FD this season. I was not familiar with his choreography prior to this season, but if I was a Russian ice dancer I would go to see him for choreography. He took a good but not particularly memorable team and made them stand out.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I really enjoyed both of Milana Ramashova's programs at 2020 Junior Worlds, which were choreographed by Oleg Purtov, I've no idea who else he may of choreographed for but found both of Milana's programs suited her well, the short in particular had a charming step-sequence. It was also nice to hear a very different music choice 'Due Soldi ("Liquidation" soundtrack) which I can find out very little about when Googling it!

Slightly more well known but I think Corrado Giordano also deserves a shout-out for his choreography. He has choreographed (with Barbara Fusar-Poli) all of Charlène Guignard and Marco Fabbri's programs since 2012, including their wonderful La La Land free dance from last season, and this season's emotional Space Oddity free dance. He also choreographed (with Massimo Scali) many of Valentina Marchei and Ondřej Hotárek's programs, including their fun Olympic season short Tu Vuò Fà L'Americano / We No Speak Americano. He also choreographs for quite a few other members of the Italian National Team, including, I believe, their Synchro team.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Nadia Kanaeva - her work for Kseniia Sinitsyna SP is a masterpiece!
also Nathan Chen's Michael Jackson SP.

Agreed, Sinitsyna's SP was gorgeous!! Nadia also choreographed Stephen Gogolev's SP this year too. Her programmes seem to be quite good at showcasing a skater's musicality.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I was impressed with the work of Nikolai Nikonov for Kazakova/ Reviya (Junior Ice dancers) this season. I felt it was the best choreographed Russian FD this season. I was not familiar with his choreography prior to this season, but if I was a Russian ice dancer I would go to see him for choreography. He took a good but not particularly memorable team and made them stand out.

I prefer more Shevchenko/Eremenko program cause i find it more avangarde and quirky, but yeah that Kazakova/Reviya program certainly was a stand out last year in Juniors. I also liked what Karine Arribert-Narce did with french junior ice dance teams.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I'd like to suggest Joshua Farris - Caruso for Camden Pulkinen
as I really thought it was like watching poetry in motion!

Also like Deniss Vasiljevs' SP to Two men in love - Salome Brunner

ice coverage

Record Breaker

rabidline

Final Flight
Some examples:
-Valentin Molotov (Aleksandr Selevko SP - everything just looks cool)
-Ilona Protasenya (Kseniia Sinitsyna LP, Matvei Vetlugin SP - I really like the step sequences!)
-Alena Samarskaia (Shevchenko/Eremenko LP - quirky)
-Misao Sato (Yuhana Yokoi SP - full of character and suits her to a T - also like his work for Shun Sato's SP)

Misao Sato is a lady though, so it's "her" work :laugh:
You can see her in Yuma Kagiyama's Kiss & Cry last season :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45MeRPLC1n8