2020-21 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Golden Skate

2020-21 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Although it's uncertain if there is a season, I think it's time for a new thread so that the other one isn't cluttered. I'll try to keep it updated.

Retirements:
Pairs:
- Aliona Savchenko/Bruno Massot (Germany)
- Morgan Cipres (France)
- Xiaoyu Yu/Hao Zhang (China)
- Camille Ruest/Andrew Wolfe (Canada)

Men:
- Sergei Voronov (Russia)
- Alexei Krasnozhon (USA)
- Sondre Oddvoll Bøe (Norway)
- Ryuju Hino (Japan)
- Taichi Honda (Japan)
- Sean Rabbitt (USA)
- Igor Reznichenko (Poland)
- Philip Warren (France)
- June Hyoung Lee (South Korea)

Ladies:
- Elena Radionova (Russia)
- Maria Sotskova (Russia)
- Valentina Marchei (Italy)
- Viveca Lindfors (Finland)
- Alaine Chartrand (Canada)
- Polina Edmunds (USA)
- Anna Duskova (Czech Rep.)
- Daria Panenkova (Russia)
- Oliwia Rzepiel (Poland)

Ice Dance:
- Justyna Plutowska/Jérémie Flemin (Poland)

Splits:
ID = ice dance, P = pairs

- (P) Tarah Kayne/Daniel O'Shea (USA)
- (ID) Utana Yoshida/Shingo Nishiyama (Japan)
- (ID) Avonley Nguyen/Vadym Kolesnik (USA)
- (ID) Anastasia Shpilevaya/Grigory Smirnov (Russia)
- (P) Laura Barquero/Ton Consul (Spain)
- (P) Anna Duskova/Radek Jakubka (Czech Rep.)
- (P) Lana Petranovic/Antonio Souza-Cordeiru (Croatia)
- (ID) Sofia Val/Linus Colmor Jepsen (Spain)
- (ID) Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva/Andrei Filatov (Russia)
- (P) Isabella Gamez/David-Alexandre Paradis (Philippines)
- (P) Balazs Nagy/Kate Finster (USA)
- (P) Stanislava Vislobokova/Dmitrii Ialin (Russia)

Partner Changes/New Teams:
- (P) Vanessa James/Eric Radford (Canada)
- (ID) Ayumi Takanami/Shingo Nishiyama (Japan)
- (P) Xiaoyu Yu/Lei Wang (China)
- (P) Alisa Efimova/Ruben Blommaert (Germany, but Alisa hasn't been released yet)
- (P) Laura Barquero/Marco Zandron (Spain)
- (ID) Alena Kanysheva/Andrei Pylin (Russia) (split again)
- Polina Kostiukovich/Alexei Bruikhanov
- (ID) Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva/Egor Bazin (Russia)
- (ID) Lorraine McNamara/Anton Spiridonov (USA)
- Viktoria Vasilieva/Nikita Volodin (Russia)
- (P)Justine Brasseur/Zachary Daleman (Canada)
- (P)Chloe Choinard/Livio Mayr (Austria)
- (P) Stanislava Vislobokova/Dmitri Ialin
- (P) Megan Wessenberg/Blake Eisenach (USA)
- (P) Brynne McIsaac/TJ Nyman (USA)
- (ID) Solene Mazingue/Marco Jevgeni Gaidajenko (Estonia)

Announced Returns:
- Rika Hongo
- rumour: Daisuke Murakami (for the US)

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Sofia Val and Linus Colmor Jepsen (Spain) have split. They were Spanish Jr. champions and placed 18th at Jr. Worlds this year.
According to her Instagram, she is looking for a new partner: https://www.instagram.com/p/CBYW9AZCdY5/

That is such a shame. Sofia and Linus looked like a really promising partnership. And I was really hoping that this partnership would be the one that would finally last for Linus.

You see, last year I created a Fan Fest specifically for Linus, so as to take in both his Singles skating career and his Ice Dance career. And I was surprised to find that, although he is young, he has gone through quite a lot of partners. In the last 7 seasons (which included 1 season sitting out), he has had 5 different partners. :shocked:

Sofia was the first partner that he was with for more than 1 season. So, I really thought this was a sign that the pattern of short-lived partnerships had ended. But, alas, it hasn't.

Reading Linus' statement that he put up 10 minutes after your post, it looks like this split came as a surprise to him:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBaRPSUpukc/

I wish them both all the best in their searches for new partners.

CaroLiza_fan

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
That is such a shame. Sofia and Linus looked like a really promising partnership. And I was really hoping that this partnership would be the one that would finally last for Linus.

You see, last year I created a Fan Fest specifically for Linus, so as to take in both his Singles skating career and his Ice Dance career. And I was surprised to find that, although he is young, he has gone through quite a lot of partners. In the last 7 seasons (which included 1 season sitting out), he has had 5 different partners. :shocked:

Sofia was the first partner that he was with for more than 1 season. So, I really thought this was a sign that the pattern of short-lived partnerships had ended. But, alas, it hasn't.

Reading Linus' statement that he put up 10 minutes after your post, it looks like this split came as a surprise to him:

CaroLiza_fan
Thank you for posting Linus' statement! :thank:
I also thought they made a promising team, and enjoyed watching them at Jr. Worlds.
I didn't realise he'd had so many partners, I wonder if he will continue skating for Spain or if he will return to representing Denmark?
Hopefully they are both able to find new partnerships.

TeamGubanova

On the Ice
Well, Nikita Volodin has switched to yet another partner - Viktoria Vasilieva. They are registered on the junior pairs national reserve team. Hopefully, Vasilieva is fine after her joint issues which is probably why she switched.

hanca

Record Breaker
Well, Nikita Volodin has switched to yet another partner - Viktoria Vasilieva. They are registered on the junior pairs national reserve team. Hopefully, Vasilieva is fine after her joint issues which is probably why she switched.
That doesn’t make much sense. If she has had joints problems, landing the throw jumps is definitely not going to help her!

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain

CaroLiza_fan

I do think that it's a pity but, now, I can admit it, I never saw too much future in their partnership. Don´t get me wrong, I like them both and I was amazed by their results in the sort time they've been skating together (and the first experience of Sofia as icedancer), but every time I saw them, especially this last season, there was something odd in their interactions, something was not right, as if they were two different kind of energies, not easy to match.

Anyway, whatever the reason, I'm sorry for both of them, because they need to begin again with the process (and the uncertainty) of looking for a new partner but, if they were not going to last, this next season is, probably, the best one to skip. I really hope to see them both skating and competing again, as soon as possible. Best of luck!

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Kanysheva and Nazarov would be awesome if true!

I think the only problem would be that Nazarov is no longer junior eligible (IIRC) so they would have to go straight to senior which would likely be difficult for Kanysheva as she's never done ice dance before.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
I saw the clip of them skating and assumed that he was helping her as a coach as he is seemingly retired and works for his old coaches.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I am really looking forward to seeing Daisuke in ice dance. Still waiting on program news from him and Kana :pray:

I think the only problem would be that Nazarov is no longer junior eligible (IIRC) so they would have to go straight to senior which would likely be difficult for Kanysheva as she's never done ice dance before.

I would say that Annabelle Morozov started ice dance in seniors and it seems to be going quite well for her so far (4th at the latest nationals).
Hopefully Alena can find her way in ice dance with a good partner, I'm glad that she is not giving up on skating and is willing to try another discipline.

Off topic. I've just learned a new English word, vouch. :) I used to work in the hotel business more than 20 years and I did use the word 'voucher' A LOT; like how to handle differently 'hotel voucher' vs 'hotel order'. But never thought of checking up what 'vouch' means as a verb with my dictionary. :eek:: Thanks! :thank:

Yes, I would normally use it as to vouch for a person if they are good or to support something.
I never realised it before as I don't use this phrase too often but it's nice to hear about how we learn new words on this forum :)

hanca

Record Breaker
I would say that Annabelle Morozov started ice dance in seniors and it seems to be going quite well for her so far (4th at the latest nationals).
Hopefully Alena can find her way in ice dance with a good partner, I'm glad that she is not giving up on skating and is willing to try another discipline.

The only (quite significant) difference is that Annabelle Morozov has a dad who can spend with her 24/7 coaching and is also extremely talented choreographer to make programs that hide any weaknesses of the skater. Kanysheva does not have a parent or husband who is a high level coach, who could spend all their time to help her catch up the skills other ice dancers were spending hours learning in the past ten years while she was chasing triples and quads. She also doesn’t have anyone who would be personally invested to make programs that hide whatever needs to be hidden. Furthermore, there is also the matter of finances - not sure about Kanysheva’s family’s financial situation but Kanysheva won’t be on the national team and therefore won’t receive funding. That means that someone will need to pay for her lessons, boots etc. Whereas Morozov very likely did not take any payment for his daughter’s coaching while she was catching up on her skills. Well, Kanysheva could always get married like Davankova...

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Anna Duskova (2016 Junior World Pairs Champion with Martin Bidar) announced her retirement on her Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/p/CB0wDRlpUnl/
She cites her trouble with ongoing injury as her reason for retirement, and thanks Radek, Martin, her family and her coaches for their support during her skating journey. I really enjoyed watching her and Martin's performances at the Olympics, and am glad she had that experience before she retired.
Wishing Anna all the best in whatever she chooses to do going forwards!

ETA: Radek posted some lovely words about Anna and their partnership: https://www.instagram.com/p/CB1Dzj-pQhO/
He also adds that she will be his second coach, and is very excited at the prospect of her joining his coaching team. Best of luck to Radek too, whether he continues in pairs, returns to singles or does both!

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
This afternoon, I ordered a new printer. And when I looked at the invoice, I was surprised to find that, despite the website having a .co.uk address, it was actually coming from Prague.

Then I go into GS, and see this:

Anna Duskova (2016 Junior World Pairs Champion with Martin Bidar) announced her retirement on her Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/p/CB0wDRlpUnl/
She cites her trouble with ongoing injury as her reason for retirement, and thanks Radek, Martin, her family and her coaches for their support during her skating journey. I really enjoyed watching her and Martin's performances at the Olympics, and am glad she had that experience before she retired.
Wishing Anna all the best in whatever she chooses to do going forwards!

So, so sad to hear this.

You all know I am a massive fan of Anna. And that I really rated her as a Singles skater as well as a Pairs skater. Hey, it was not that long ago that I was thinking that the era of Březinová and Ukolova in Ladies skating was over, and that we could be entering the era of Hanzlíková and Dušková. But, alas, it hasn't work out that way for either of them.

Although I will always be a fan of Anna with Martin, I was looking forward to seeing how Anna and Radek developed. Anna is a great Pairs skater (she is a Junior World Champion, after all!), and both of them are good Singles skaters. There was so much potential in this partnership. But, alas, they never got the chance to show that potential.

It is always sad when somebody's career comes to an end through injury. Especially when they are so young. But, Anna has made a wise decision to call it a day now rather than try to push on and maybe end up doing herself permanent damage. She is still very young, and there are so many things she can do in the years to come.

It is so good to hear that she is intending to stay on in the sport as a coach. And I reckon she will be a good one. She is in the enviable position of having been one of the top skaters in her country in both Pairs and Singles. So, she can draw from her experiences in both.

ETA: Radek posted some lovely words about Anna and their partnership: https://www.instagram.com/p/CB1Dzj-pQhO/
He also adds that she will be his second coach, and is very excited at the prospect of her joining his coaching team. Best of luck to Radek too, whether he continues in pairs, returns to singles or does both!

To be honest, I don't mind which Radek concentrates on. But, bearing in mind that he has been 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Czech skater in Men's Singles at Four Nationals for the past 2 seasons (and that was without Březina competing), it may be tricky to get into a position to be considered for the slots. With Pairs, there is less competition for the slots, but as Martin's experience since splitting with Anna has shown, it is not easy to find the right partner.

Anyway, I wish both Anna and Radek all the best for the future.

CaroLiza_fan

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
So sorry to be the bearer of bad news about Anna and Radek, CaroLiza_fan!

Sadly, there are more splits to report:

Laura Barquero and Tòn Cónsul, Spanish Pairs Champions have split according to the Spanish Fed: https://www.fedhielo.com/la-pareja-laura-barquero-ton-consul-separa-su-camino/
The article doesn't provide details but says that the Fed will 'work to find solutions to the dissolution of the couple' (Google Translated from Spanish, so may not be accurate) so I'm assuming they might both be looking for new partners?
They had only been together 1 season and finished 14th at Europeans 2020. Wishing them both all the best in the future.

Francesca Righi and Aleksei Dubrovin, Italian Junior Ice Dancers (National Champs 2018/19, National Bronze Medalists 2019/20, 13th at JWC 2019) have also split according to her Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CB3CvQZJkiT/ They had been together for 5 years. She wishes him all the best, and says that she won't quit skating, so I assume she will be looking for another partner. It's not clear what he will do next. Best of luck to them both in the future.

Andrea82

Medalist
Francesca Righi and Aleksei Dubrovin, Italian Junior Ice Dancers (National Champs 2018/19, National Bronze Medalists 2019/20, 13th at JWC 2019) have also split according to her Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CB3CvQZJkiT/ They had been together for 5 years. She wishes him all the best, and says that she won't quit skating, so I assume she will be looking for another partner. It's not clear what he will do next. Best of luck to them both in the future.

Dubrovin talks about hoping to become even stronger with a new partner. So I guess he will (try to) continue.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB3NrhRIUvZ/

The translation of his post is:
Hi everyone
I would like to announce that I no longer skate with Francesca. For me this year has been very difficult, there have been many shifts, many quarrels and also many sacrifices
I don't want to say bad things about Francesca because in any case she was my partner for 5 years
Unfortunately life is not as beautiful as others say, but it is all full of malice, for me malice is like a black hole where you see nothing and you are alone with your fears
I've been in this black hole for a long time, but now I'm stronger than ever
And I hope to become even better with the new partner
[line in Russian, I guess)
And one more thing, do nothing behind the back of a person who has been by your side

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Duborvin talks about hoping to become even stronger with a new partner. So I guess he will (try to) continue.

Hi everyone
I would like to announce that I no longer skate with Francesca. For me this year has been very difficult, there have been many shifts, many quarrels and also many sacrifices
I don't want to say bad things about Francesca because in any case she was my partner for 5 years
Unfortunately life is not as beautiful as others say, but it is all full of malice, for me malice is like a black hole where you see nothing and you are alone with your fears
And one more thing, do nothing behind the back of a person who has been by your side

Yikes. Sounds like there was some drama behind-the-scenes to say the least :eeking:

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
DubrOvin talks about hoping to become even stronger with a new partner. So I guess he will (try to) continue.

Hi everyone

Thank you for sharing Aleksei's post, and providing the translation. It sounds like the split wasn't very amicable at all, sadly. Hopefully, he will find a partner to continue his career happily with.