Rescoring of 2010 Olympics | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Rescoring of 2010 Olympics

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So, with all the correct factoring and such, final standings from this judging panel is actually:

1. Takahashi
2. Lysacek
3. Plushenko (would drop behind Weir by .01 point if his SP spin were to be called Level 3)
4. Weir
5. Chan (could be in 3rd if it was decided the Level 1 call on his SP combo spin was incorrect)
6. Kozuka
7. Lambiel
8. Oda

Well I'm glad Plushy got a bronze here, TBH I was dreading the outcome of this thread and expected to see him down in 10th place because to hear some people talk apparently these were the Worst. Programs. Evah and an offence to all right thinking individuals.

I really enjoyed them so :laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
There's nothing in the rules that say loops need to be a specific proportion to count. If it's a full one-foot turn without swapping edge that creates a circular tracing, it's a loop. He does go back in the direction he started and he's not trying to force the turn either. It's fluid and there's still a circle created on the ice on that first one (not so much on the second one, it's right to call that incomplete, but it's not a bad movement either; I'm pretty sure he was never trying to do that as a clear loop, looking at other performances of the program). Doing a loop with more speed and a tighter lobe is not poor technique, it's just different. Some people might only be capable of doing slower loops in a "traditional" motion, and would lose flow or balance if they tried it more aggressively or stylized.

Doing a loop with a lobe that is tight or skidded IS improper technique. Calling it “just different” is ignoring poor execution. Just because the intent is a loop does not mean it’s not poor technique. But clearly the tech panel either missed that or was lenient and gave him a level 4 because the turns were “good enough” to them. A loop can still be done aggressively or stylized without skidding or scratching on the toe pick. Takahashi executed that first loop better earlier in the season but just didn’t happen to in that performance. And the tech panel let it slide like other calls/non-calls that have been or haven’t been brought up. But if you’re going to come for Lysacek’s footwork, at least be fair in your assessment across the board. I’m sorry that our rescoring didn’t have Takahashi come out on top... and it was clear that you thought it would happen based on your initial push to add points to Takahashi and remove from Lysacek... and continued insistence that Takahashi would have won under your tech calls... but Lysacek came out on top in this rescoring. If it makes you sleep better believing that Takahashi won a just-for-fun fantasy rescoring, all good - you do you boo. :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well I'm glad Plushy got a bronze here, TBH I was dreading the outcome of this thread and expected to see him down in 10th place because to hear some people talk apparently these were the Worst. Programs. Evah and an offence to all right thinking individuals.

I really enjoyed them so :laugh:

His programs were the worst but IMO he should not be off the podium. It would create a scandal if with the only skater with two essentially clean skates with the highest technical content (quads) was off the podium.

I also think it would have created a controversy if anyone other than Plushenko or Lysacek won. We can go on about PCS and Takahashi’s brilliant skating but he had a fall and did no quad in the short - and him winning would have been bad for figure skating and truists would be spending the next 4 years explaining someone who falls and executed no quad can win the Olympics over clean skates.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
His programs were the worst but IMO he should not be off the podium. It would create a scandal if with the only skater with two essentially clean skates with the highest technical content (quads) was off the podium.

I also think it would have created a controversy if anyone other than Plushenko or Lysacek won. We can go on about PCS and Takahashi’s brilliant skating but he had a fall and did no quad in the short - and him winning would have been bad for figure skating and truists would be spending the next 4 years explaining someone who falls and executed no quad can win the Olympics over clean skates.

Maybe? Dai is super popular and much beloved, so I'm not sure there would have been such an outrage. I always got the feeling Plushy wouldn't have minded losing to Dai, after all Dai did have a quad in the free at least.

You're are right about these not been very good programs, but I loved the Tango Amore costume (see avatar) but this ain't a fashion show. :laugh:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Maybe? Dai is super popular and much beloved, so I'm not sure there would have been such an outrage. I always got the feeling Plushy wouldn't have minded losing to Dai, after all Dai did have a quad in the free at least.

You're are right about these not been very good programs, but I loved the Tango Amore costume (see avatar) but this ain't a fashion show. :laugh:

Daisukes quad was worth 0 points as he got 4pts for UR quad, -3 on the GOE, then one point fall deduction.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Daisukes quad was worth 0 points as he got 4pts for UR quad, -3 on the GOE, then one point fall deduction.

Wow, really I'd forgotten he'd fallen on it I thought it was on the 3A (was that Stephane?) Obviously I haven't watched this is forever. :biggrin:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
^ Yep but Plushenko still probably respected the effort more. And it's a joke he got 0 points for it, when starting the program with a 2Axel easily could have pulled 5 points instead. Just a bad scale of values at the time, or could still be seen as a bad call too, considering the amount of rotation he got on that quad.

Doing a loop with a lobe that is tight or skidded IS improper technique.

Not necessarily, and there is nothing in the rules against it, in terms of base value. This isn't a set pattern dance. The goal is not to mimic one specific thing. The goal is to show turns that meet the base definition, incorporated into a choreography and timing suited to the character and expression of the program and music. His loop was not skidded anyway, and the lobe was not so tight that it would no longer fit the definition.

Do you realize that you could purposefully skid the turn (could be well suited to rock music) and it would require more technique to properly execute such a thing? You would be changing the balance point and need to complete the turn with more strength to push through. If someone doesn't do it right they would come to a standstill or fail to create enough of a circle. Or for example in doing a tighter lobe, someone could do a very fast and well extended illusion position in their loop turn, which is also more difficult than a typical loop turn, regardless if it is on that tighter curve.

Calling it “just different” is ignoring poor execution.

No, it's looking at different ways to perform something and show skill. His loop was not poorly executed, you're reaching by trying to claim that. It had flow and balance and proper turning, not to mention the upper body usage while doing it. You are also contradicting yourself by trying to say it can be performed more aggressively or stylized, but must conform to your specific method. If you are purposefully and skillfully making the lobe smaller or bigger, or altering your blade usage to create a different amount of height or a "snap" effect, then it is inherently going to be different. It doesn't show poor execution to do such a thing.

I'm actually now thinking of how extraordinarily difficult it would be to do a loop turn where you go up on your toepick at the midway point, do a full spin, and then come back down on the correct edge and complete the turn.

I’m sorry that our rescoring didn’t have Takahashi come out on top.

It did though. The calls were examined and decided. Note that with the scores of the sitting panel in 2010, none of the placements would have changed with the calls I've talked about. Also, our recent panel marked Takahashi 9.5 points closer from GOE and PCS alone.

I also think it would have created a controversy if anyone other than Plushenko or Lysacek won. We can go on about PCS and Takahashi’s brilliant skating but he had a fall

How convenient of you to think that Takahashi with 1 fall would be a big controversy, and yet Patrick Chan winning with many falls or similar mistakes is not only something you claim to be non-controversial, but also always a deserved win in your opinion. :rolleye:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^ Yep but Plushenko still probably respected the effort more. And it's a joke he got 0 points for it, when starting the program with a 2Axel easily could have pulled 5 points instead. Just a bad scale of values at the time, or could still be seen as a bad call too, considering the amount of rotation he got on that quad.

Not necessarily, and there is nothing in the rules against it, in terms of base value. This isn't a set pattern dance. The goal is not to mimic one specific thing. The goal is to show turns that meet the base definition, incorporated into a choreography and timing suited to the character and expression of the program and music. His loop was not skidded anyway, and the lobe was not so tight that it would no longer fit the definition.

Do you realize that you could purposefully skid the turn (could be well suited to rock music) and it would require more technique to properly execute such a thing? You would be changing the balance point and need to complete the turn with more strength to push through. If someone doesn't do it right they would come to a standstill or fail to create enough of a circle. Or for example in doing a tighter lobe, someone could do a very fast and well extended illusion position in their loop turn, which is also more difficult than a typical loop turn, regardless if it is on that tighter curve.

No, it's looking at different ways to perform something and show skill. His loop was not poorly executed, you're reaching by trying to claim that. It had flow and balance and proper turning, not to mention the upper body usage while doing it. You are also contradicting yourself by trying to say it can be performed more aggressively or stylized, but must conform to your specific method. If you are purposefully and skillfully making the lobe smaller or bigger, or altering your blade usage to create a different amount of height or a "snap" effect, then it is inherently going to be different. It doesn't show poor execution to do such a thing.

I'm actually now thinking of how extraordinarily difficult it would be to do a loop turn where you go up on your toepick at the midway point, do a full spin, and then come back down on the correct edge and complete the turn.

It did though. The calls were examined and decided. Note that with the scores of the sitting panel in 2010, none of the placements would have changed with the calls I've talked about. Also, our recent panel marked Takahashi 9.5 points closer from GOE and PCS alone.

How convenient of you to think that Takahashi with 1 fall would be a big controversy, and yet Patrick Chan winning with many falls or similar mistakes is not only something you claim to be non-controversial, but also always a deserved win in your opinion. :rolleye:
and here we go again.... you could have used other skaters who have won with mistakes... but no... always Patrick... Yes... I am triggered... when will you drop it?

Not to mention that Patrick, in 2010, with his injury wasn't quite ready for the games and did fall... and that didn't land him a medal and was rightfully off the podium... however, in the rescoring done here, he is pretty much on the podium, if he hadn't lost the time violation points, which was a completely stupid call

in other words : you all marked him higher than the judges in this exercise but then, you personally keep saying he was always overscored... would that exercise destroy that statement... oh the irony !!!!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Lol, don’t lie, boo -- I never said that about Chan. But hey, at least you’re consistent in the Chan-slamming and not getting your facts straight. I was saying that in 2010 Takahashi with an ugly fall would be hard to justify over two clean skaters including one with much greater tech content. That is different from say 2014 where Hanyu’s win (even with 2 falls) is an ugly skate but justifiable because his competitors had inferior tech content and made mistakes themselves (I also said that even if Chan happened to have been placed ahead it would also be controversial because of the sloppy FS, although justifiable since everyone else messed up).

You shaded Lysacek’s elements earlier but they were a dream compared to Dai’s jumps/spins, half of which had issues. The 3As and 3S were good but, along with that ugly fall on the underrotated quad, the lutzes lacked amplitude with little speed going into and out of them (especially the 3Z+2T - I mean, compare a combination like that to Lysacek's opening 3Z+3T in terms of speed, distance, height, and flow) and both had edge issues (two ! calls), he had a sloppily landed 3F+3T (regardless of whether you believe the 3T landing was or wasn't UR), and he had an obvious lean on his 3L. His flying combo spin had terrible centering and position control issues (like in the camel). And in his final spin, he obviously lost his balance in the layback (and mucked up the edge change). If not for his PCS advantage he would have been buried in the standings, because technically Dai was NOT serving it. In both the 2010 judges' scoring and in our own 2010 rescoring of the top 8, Takahashi had worst TES of the freeskate. Do you really think that is worthy of Olympic champion?

Chan might have some sloppy wins (no, not all his sloppy wins were justified and I never said they all were - e.g. 2013 Worlds I've always said should have gone to Ten) but he’s won on the basis of higher tech content, good GOE in the elements he did hit, and superior choreography and skating quality, and his competitors not skating to their potential either. So, check your facts and check yourself, boo. ;)

All good about the loops. I’ll just accept that you have a different idea of what constitutes poor - ahem, “different” - technique. Just like going up on a toepick during a loop or skidding it, let’s applaud other “different techniques” like a toe jump using part of the blade instead of the pick, or prerotation, or leaned axis or a leg wrap in a jump (those should count as varied air position GOE bullet, right?!), while we are at it. Hey, it’s not poor technique/execution - it’s just different! :laugh: :rolleye:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I was saying that in 2010 Takahashi with an ugly fall would be hard to justify over two clean skaters including one with much greater tech content.

Nobody had "much greater tech content" than Takahashi in 2010. Plushenko had less planned content in his LP, in fact, because of not attempting a 3Flip. And he frontloaded more. And his footwork was less difficult. His only base value advantage was the Quad in the SP. Someone skating "clean" does not in itself mean something is deserved or not. Takahashi fell on a Quad...which Lysacek did not attempt. The rest of his jumping was overall on the same level of Lysacek (or slightly better), and his overall skating and programs were FAR better.

You shaded Lysacek’s elements earlier but they were a dream compared to Dai’s jumps/spins, half of which had issues. The 3As and 3S were good but, along with that ugly fall on the underrotated quad, the lutzes lacked amplitude

Takahashi's lutzes (the first one especially) didn't lack amplitude LOL, he jumped higher than Lysaeck! This is just nonsense. His 3Loop was bigger as well. He fell on the quad but it was big, and frankly rotated just as much as any quad Lysacek ever attempted, who always turned on the ice with his toepick and never landed backwards. Lysacek did not have quality jumping for the most part. He had adequate jumping; the majority of his jumps were small and sometimes tight on rotation, and should receive 0 GOE. His best quality jumps were the Lutzes, but those don't deserve more than +1 GOE either, as they were not very big and didn't have any very difficult entrance or air position.

And in his final spin, he obviously lost his balance in the layback (and mucked up the edge change). In both the 2010 judges' scoring and in our own 2010 rescoring of the top 8, Takahashi had worst TES of the freeskate. Do you really think that is worthy of Olympic champion?

A couple of Takahashi's spins were not the best quality, but they weren't bad, and what he loses there is already gained back with superior footwork. Doing an edge change on the layback is also more difficult than doing the typical inside sit everyone back then was doing. Lysacek did the easiest positions he could to get his spin levels, and repeated the same sit position and right-foot inside edge change in literally EVERY spin of his SP and LP!!

That last statement is both false and a straw-man, as Takahashi's TES is not the worst when better calls are assigned to the program, and yes someone could deserve to win a competition while being 8th place in TES. There are two different scores in figure skating, and being "8th place in TES" doesn't say anything about the actual point gap there, which could be rather small.

let’s applaud other “different techniques” like a toe jump using part of the blade instead of the pick, or prerotation, or leaned axis or a leg wrap in a jump (those should count as varied air position GOE bullet, right?!), while we are at it. Hey, it’s not poor technique/execution - it’s just different!

Another straw-man. You bring up several things that are strictly worse, when I was talking about things that can make a turn more difficult. Leg wrap IS very debatable btw, it factually makes a jump more difficult to rotate in terms of overall mechanics. People who leg wrap usually have rotation/amplitude/timing issues on the jump, however, which is what makes it worse. Someone like Midori Ido had no such issues, so yes, in that case it just becomes a different stylistic choice of how to do the jump. Go search and see how many people can do a 3Axel if you tell them they have to keep their free leg up. You won't find many.

Also note that pre-rotating a jump or leaning in the air doesn't mean it's suddenly not credited at all. As long as something meets the minimum definition, it gets the base value, and then quality can be assessed from there. Takahashi's turn was good enough to get credit, and was incorporated very well into the choreography and overall cadence of the footwork; give slightly less in quality score for the element if you want. I didn't give him +3 on any element, so clearly I'm not saying he was technically the absolute best possible.

Chan might have some sloppy wins but he’s won on the basis of higher tech content, good GOE in the elements he did hit, and superior choreography and skating quality, and his competitors not skating to their potential either.

Except that's not true. His competitors often did skate to their potential (or "enough" to beat him) and were just incorrectly given lower marks. Chan frequently had lower tech content because of mistakes he made (or just simply had less tech content) and people frequently considered his overall choreography/performance to be worse. Your own attitude about a more flawed Chan deserving to win in 2012 runs counter to your assessment here. Which basically means you think Chan had more quality as compared to Takahashi there, than Takahashi had as compared to Lysacek here. Yikes!

--

and here we go again.... you could have used other skaters who have won with mistakes... but no... always Patrick... Yes... I am triggered... when will you drop it?

When will you drop continually trying to tell people to not talk about something they are perfectly allowed to talk about? Patrick is the person who won the most with many mistakes, and the only guy in the 2006-2013 era to win Worlds/Olympics with multiple big stumbles, so the comparison will continue to be relevant.

however, in the rescoring done here, he is pretty much on the podium, if he hadn't lost the time violation points, which was a completely stupid call. in other words: you all marked him higher than the judges in this exercise but then, you personally keep saying he was always overscored...oh the irony !!!!

Firstly, you can't say "you all", the panel is separate individuals, with different marks and opinions. Secondly, the many times Patrick had issues in competitions that people criticize, or the overall criticism about certain component scores, doesn't mean it's impossible he deserved his placement at some competitions. It also doesn't mean that other competitors weren't also overscored. I do think this overall panel still got it wrong though, by putting Chan over Kozuka. The latter has excellent qualities, at least on the same level as Chan overall here, did not make more mistakes, and had a Quad, which is a big boost. I agree the time violation Chan received in the SP was uncalled for, but I have him 6th in the end, even if all the calls in total were to his benefit. Finally, it's still possible that incorrect placements are being caused by the scoring system itself (someone getting too many points for flawed elements, base values that don't accurately reflect the difficulty, etc).

Ziotic

Medalist
Firstly, you can't say "you all", the panel is separate individuals, with different marks and opinions. Secondly, the many times Patrick had issues in competitions that people criticize, or the overall criticism about certain component scores, doesn't mean it's impossible he deserved his placement at some competitions. It also doesn't mean that other competitors weren't also overscored. I do think this overall panel still got it wrong though, by putting Chan over Kozuka. The latter has excellent qualities, at least on the same level as Chan overall here, did not make more mistakes, and had a Quad, which is a big boost. I agree the time violation Chan received in the SP was uncalled for, but I have him 6th in the end, even if all the calls in total were to his benefit. Finally, it's still possible that incorrect placements are being caused by the scoring system itself (someone getting too many points for flawed elements, base values that don't accurately reflect the difficulty, etc).

While you are entitled to think Kozuka should have been ahead of Chan, ultimately another panel disagreed with your assessment.

it's not wrong, or bad judging its just appreciating different qualities in each skater and ultimately more disagree with you than agree. While watching this competition one of the things that stood out to be was how much smoother Chan was than almost anyone else, it was evident especially in sections of the short program. Having gone back and watched that it was clear to me the way some aspects of skating skills have evolved in the past 10 years.

While I can see how the actual scoring system can also be to blame, to me, the biggest error was Stephane's 4th place. it may just be my personal taste, but he was gifted some PCS for what he delivered. He was sloppy but the base value was what delivered him his placement.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
When will you drop continually trying to tell people to not talk about something they are perfectly allowed to talk about? Patrick is the person who won the most with many mistakes, and the only guy in the 2006-2013 era to win Worlds/Olympics with multiple big stumbles, so the comparison will continue to be relevant.

Sometimes in life, one has to figure out that, despite their deep convictions, history has seen it differently. Whatever you say, my words are backed up by facts. Patrick has won multiple awards and even without the achievements he remains one of the skaters, if not the skater, with the best skating skills, thanks to hard training with Mr. Colson from a young age. As Kurt Browning once said about Patrick (talking about then a young boy) "most learn how to jump triple first, and then, learn how to skate... but you already know how to skate... you have someone to thank that for..". and then Patrick saying "thank you Mr. Colson. " https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tPJiIUVtSs

In other words, you can talk ill all you want about Patrick.. though it is against the rules of this forum to disparage constantly a skater... but there is one slight difference you need to understand.... your opinion is not shared by many, including the judges, tech panels, other skaters, coaches and many many many fans. You lose credibility when you keep hammering down a brilliant champion beloved and appreciated by so many.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
While you are entitled to think Kozuka should have been ahead of Chan, ultimately another panel disagreed with your assessment.

it's not wrong, or bad judging its just appreciating different qualities in each skater and ultimately more disagree with you than agree. While watching this competition one of the things that stood out to be was how much smoother Chan was than almost anyone else, it was evident especially in sections of the short program. Having gone back and watched that it was clear to me the way some aspects of skating skills have evolved in the past 10 years.

While I can see how the actual scoring system can also be to blame, to me, the biggest error was Stephane's 4th place. it may just be my personal taste, but he was gifted some PCS for what he delivered. He was sloppy but the base value was what delivered him his placement.

To be fair, I had Kozuka above Patrick. But Lambiel down bellow. My overall ranking after doing the maths was: 1.Lysacek 2.Plushenko 3.Weir 4.Takahashi 5.Kozuka 6.Chan 7.Lambiel 8.Oda. I had Takahashi as a winner of a short programme actually, but only 6th in the free, and 4th overall. I must say I wasn't that impressed by Patrick in Vancouver comparing to his later competitions, which is probably understandable.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
He fell on the quad but it was big, and frankly rotated just as much as any quad Lysacek ever attempted, who always turned on the ice with his toepick and never landed backwards.

Lmao this is hilarious given that Takahashi’s quad landed forward and was close to being downgraded. Lysacek has had a slew of quads that have been ratified including both programs at the 2007 GPF, 2007 4CC FS and 2008 4CC SP . Yes there was some pre-rotation but the landing is what is most important. He certainly landed with greater rotation than Takahashi’s severely underrotated 2010 quad. You said it yourself even with pre-rotation a jump can be ratified. If Lysacek didn’t land his quads backwards then none of his quads would have ever been ratified - oh but let me guess - those panels were wrong because they don’t align with your view! Well then, I stand corrected. :laugh:

Also lol at your point about Takahashi matching Plushenko’s content when he did no SP quad and had a very poor quad attempt in the FS (planned content is one thing but Plushenko executed almost all his planned content, except the double loop; although Takahashi also neglected to do a 3-jump combo). Plushenko even got 10.54 on spins to Takahashi’s 9.3 when usually Takahashi is a better spinner - I’m not even going to get into calling his spins not bad when the errors within them dropped the levels and there was poor centering and control in 2 out of 3 spins. Yay for choreographing a front edge change on a layback - but he still failed to execute it properly. Frankly, Takahashi is lucky to have made the 2010 podium (which he almost didn’t) - I’d say he deserved to on the basis of his SP and his PCS buffer but if you look at his GOE and URs and inability to do a quad at the time of the Olympics (it would have been smarter to take a play from Lambiel’s book and just do a double axel when the hard element isn’t working). He just doesn’t have good jumping elements and since his ACL injury his speed and attack and flow coming out of his toe jumps was never the same.

And it makes no sense to diss Lysacek’s continuous inside edge change on his spin, as there’s nothing wrong with repeating a feature (a subtle one to ensure sufficient rotations at that) - from what I recall you extol Arakawa’s gold from 2006 but haven’t ever slammed her for doing a donut position in each one of her four spins. I suppose if it’s Lysacek though the tune changes.

My sympathies for how frustrating it must be for you that Lysacek won 2010 both back then and with our scoring (as in not scoring where you input your own tech calls in an attempt to flip the result to your liking). Sorry if that triggers you! ;)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Your own attitude about a more flawed Chan deserving to win in 2012 runs counter to your assessment here. Which basically means you think Chan had more quality as compared to Takahashi there, than Takahashi had as compared to Lysacek here. Yikes!

You're talking about two different years. But yes, it is comparable not because of Chan or Lysacek but because of the fact that Takahashi's jumping elements have never had the quality of the other guys. He's kind of the Satoko Miyahara of men's skating in a sense - great artistry, creative skater, expressive, but jumping is subpar compared to his counterparts. You slam Chan for making mistakes - exactly how many clean freeskates did Takahashi have in his career, and how many +3s (outside of Nationals) did he ever earn on his jumps?

Chan IMO did deserve to beat Takahashi in Worlds 2012 due to executing his quads, including one more quad than Takahashi in the FS (Takahashi had the misfortune of downgrading his 3T which compromised the GOE on the quad in his SP), and the GOE on Chan's executed jumps were better, as were the spin and footwork GOE. Takahashi's longstanding issue is his jumps don't have the speed nor the amplitude of the other skaters and this is reflected in his GOE; particularly on his toe jumps he lacks flow. It's why his 3F+3T< was underrotated (according to the official panel and the opinions of many - not going to provide a bibliography though!). Especially on his combos the second jump tends to be tiny... if it's a triple-triple, it's frequently a tight landing leading to < or << or if rotated not a ton of flow. His quads paled in comparison to Chan's, even when he was in better form in 2008. The only crutch you have to stand on Takahashi winning Worlds 2012 is PCS, which is purely subjective; even with jump errors, Chan skated with greater speed, more transitions, and had a better choreographed program IMO (of course, you will disagree and crunch the numbers until the result gets flipped as per how you desire, which is your prerogative in your own fantasy scoring). He didn't execute his jumps well enough to garner GOE and made errors and only attempted 1 quad (which wasn't even well executed at that). Takahashi doesn't often make a lot of visible errors like falls, but he gets downgrades and URs and generally does easier content (Chan's waxel points lost was the value of Takahashi failing to attempt a 2nd quad in lieu of a triple). Or if he goes for harder content he doesn't execute it well.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Well, your sample size is literally 6 skaters, 2 of whom didn't attempt a quad (Buttle & Lysacek) when they won, and 2 of whom didn't have either a clean 3A or a clean quad and did just one attempt of a 3A or a quad (Lambiel and Takahashi) when they won.

Yes, Chan made errors from time to time, but the difficulty he was attempting gave him a buffer over his competitors (who themselves also made errors that contributed to Chan managing to win even when he messed up, like Ten doubling two triples and having just one quad in 2013 Worlds, or Takahashi having a downgrade and UR in 2012 Worlds). He was the ONLY guy in the 2006-2013 era of the World/Olympic champions to have done a quad + 3A in the SP and 2 quads + 3A in the LP.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
At risk to my personal safety, I'm going to say this:
Takahashi's quad was lacking just more than 1/4 rotation.
Lysacek has had clean quads called before.

both do normal pre-rotation on quad toe-loops when slowed down.

gmyers

Record Breaker
No one can argue against the idea Takashasi was very very very wrong to try a quad and he blew it by having a personal standard beyond just winning being the most important thing Like lysacek did. Same thing with Plushenko! If Takashasi didn’t have that 2008 4CC Performance he may have been olympic champion. But no one could convince him to drop a quad he didn’t have. No one could. No one was successful.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
No one can argue against the idea Takashasi was very very very wrong to try a quad and he blew it by having a personal standard beyond just winning being the most important thing Like lysacek did. Same thing with Plushenko! If Takashasi didn’t have that 2008 4CC Performance he may have been olympic champion. But no one could convince him to drop a quad he didn’t have. No one could. No one was successful.

He wasn't wrong. It was his ideal that he wouldn't compromise, no matter what. He said he was happy to have won a medal at all after coming back from such an awful injury (and I think his genuine joy and the happy tears he cried are proof that he actually meant it). He also stated that he doesn't think he would have been content had he won without attempting a quad. He was fine with the result and he made history anyway, just like the two OBMs after him did. :)

gmyers

Record Breaker
He wasn't wrong. It was his ideal that he wouldn't compromise, no matter what. He said he was happy to have won a medal at all after coming back from such an awful injury (and I think his genuine joy and the happy tears he cried are proof that he actually meant it). He also stated that he doesn't think he would have been content had he won without attempting a quad. He was fine with the result and he made history anyway, just like the two OBMs after him did. :)
This is all true! Especially his apparent real joy at his medal. I just always wonder what if someone had Been able to convince him to not risk a zero which is what happened to him. One jumping pass with a lot of effort ended with zero. It’s admirable in some ways that it wasn’t possible. Then at worlds he didn’t try quad toe again but quad flip! So it’s apparent that having lysacek carroll mindset strategy wasn’t ever happening