historical ladies skating | Golden Skate

historical ladies skating

linda vanwormer

Rinkside
This is my first time posting anything, so sure hope someone out there can help me.

I've been trying to compile a list of the top five ladies senior skaters at U.S. Nationals. I'm now searching for 1960 - 61 and below. I can't believe how difficult it is to find historical results. My contention is that at any contest the top five skaters are going to be argued about. That means that all five should be celebrated. Someday, I would like to help promote my theory..

I have the results for World, Europeans and some of the North American events.

Help!!!!!

Linda VanWormer

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I feel your pain. I try to find anything that is Sonja Henie. I have yet to find any real footage of her competitive skating...I don't feel that the snippits here and there do any justice.

tripleflutz

On the Ice
results

Have you tried contacting the USFSA and ISU? I'm sure they would have all the records you're looking for.

tripleflutz

linda vanwormer

Rinkside
historical ladies

Yes, I've called them, and they are wonderful. The problem is to go into the records for the full time period that I'm interested in involves a lot of research. They just don't have the time to do that. The USFSA has sent me some specifics on certain skaters. Skating magazine has been my best resource. I try to buy them on e-bay or where ever they appear. I've just found a web site called newspaper archives which is fabulous. I've actually found some information on that.

During the time period of Tenley Albright and Carol Heiss, the main focus was on their rivlery. There is some mention of Nancy Heiss because of the hope that both she and Carol would be at the olympics together. Unfortuanately she was injured and seemed to disappear into academia. That's the kind of story I'm interested in. The wonderful skaters who could have been.

I actually have at least the top three from every year except for the years that there weren't enough skaters to warrent a bronze medal. I have the top four from many of the years, but I'm "goal oriented" and have decreed the top five as my "who's who".

I'm very interested in the "lost years" during WW!! because who knows what could have happened with our girls. They never had a chance at world recognition. I guess I'd just like to piece togather that type of thing and give the people that worked so hard the recognition that they earned.

Thanks for your comments, anyone else have some help?.