Graduation Music Help | Golden Skate

Graduation Music Help

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yeah, can you believe it's getting to that time again? Thankfully not for me (got at least 3 years before I get to get another diploma) but that means I am once again in charge of the graduation slide show for the youth group down in Kenai

Last year I used "Measure of a Man" by Clay Aiken and "You Raise Me Up" by Josh Groban. I had the place in tears (granted when Josh came on it was not just a tribute to teh boys that were graduating, but both of their mother's had passed away a few years back so yeah I hit some chords with that one ;))

so I can't use those this year... and I have an even bigger group and I need songs

I'm thinking I want to use "The Graduation Son" by Vitamin C and "Let Them Be Little" by some country artist that I (suprisingly) do not know his name... but I'm going to need at LEAST one more song... so help me!

Tereza

Match Penalty
You should definately use "Graduation" by Vitamin C. "Breakaway" by Kelly Clarkson???? Other than that I am as clueless as you!!!!

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Does it have to be some weepy, whiny ballad? Because quite frankly, if Clay Aiken or Josh Groban were played at the graduation of the school where I teach, the kids would run screaming from the auditorium.

Last year, I made a slide show for my freshmen, and I used the Gorillaz "19-2000." It's a happy, but sweet song, and they loved it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
PrincessLeppard said:
Does it have to be some weepy, whiny ballad? Because quite frankly, if Clay Aiken or Josh Groban were played at the graduation of the school where I teach, the kids would run screaming from the auditorium.

nope, doesn't have to be that at all... just church appropriate

the reasoning behind the songs chosen last year were two fold. There were only 3 graduates that year, all of them guys. Their families gave a huge amount of photos and I wanted to just use "You Raise Me Up" for the sappy make mommies cry value, but we had more pictures than song, so we used both... it worked really well... Measure of a Man was Clay's "Christian" song on his album. Though not an overly 'goddy' message, there are some "Christian" references that worked for the 'coming of age' of the 3 guys. "You Raise Me Up" was used to show the guys growing up in photos with their parents, originally, but then we realised that it would work better if we put that song for just the two who'd lost their moms... we completely spaced that we were paying attention to the grads on mother's day until it was too late to change the slide show... but we had a few of the church 'figure heads' to preview it and our pastor was the first to say 'don't change it'... he's an ex-Houston Police Officier (Homicide Division) and we had him crying... I love that kid of power

I just have to figure out a way to keep the quality there... :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Pomp and Circumstance #1 in D by Elgar?:laugh:

oh, yeah, THAT's original... :rofl: no, I can't use that... I have been told that I will never get to use that song by the graduates themselves... they already have to hear it for their ceremonies at school :laugh: