Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2022 Olympic Team Event discussion and predictions

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by theharleyquinn View Post
    I always wondered about that with the Shibutanis doing both segments of dance in 2018 because it undeniably helped them. Still, it seemed like Hubbell/Donohue should've had one of those spots (of course then that would've led to a debate likely about who to cut from the team between Bradie and Mirai).
    I think decisions like this are when politics come into play. Either Bradie or the Shibs could have handled double duty, so it probably came down to who made the most convincing argument for their athlete to be selected.

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I think decisions like this are when politics come into play. Either Bradie or the Shibs could have handled double duty, so it probably came down to who made the most convincing argument for their athlete to be selected.
    Agreed. The Shibutanis had serious free dance problems going into the Olympics based on what happened at GPF and Nationals. I think the case to have Hubbell/Donohue (or I suppose even Chock/Bates who had good FD results) skate the FD was quite strong. But the Shibutanis had Marina Zueva in their corner and a longer good reputation.

On the flip side, there was zero chance that Mirai would've been left off the team event, and everyone seemed in agreement that Bradie was far more reliable.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Granted, we’re only an n=2 when it comes to the team event in the Olympics. That said, of the 6 teams across the two games, H/D are the only reigning national champions in their event at the time of the games who did not get to skate in the team competition.

Once H/D won that national title, they should have been included in the team event. There were some ways to structure that team to make sure all the national champions got to compete in a segment. I think it very much came down to politics though. My understanding is within USFS, h/d are a team that does not often/ever get the favor that some other teams or skaters do.

Skating is Art, if you let it be Blades of Passion's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Nationals was essentially a 3-way tie, I don't think H/D deserved to be selected just because of that. They were 2nd in both segments at both Nationals and the GPF, which really makes their case worse for being chosen to do a single segment in the Team event. It's unfortunate that all 3 teams couldn't be given a chance to compete, that's a perfect example of how overly limited the Team event is right now.

The USA selections were very smart from a marketing perspective. They "needed" Rippon in there because it was obvious he would be big on social media, and Mirai for the 3Axel and comeback hype (but not with her boring SP and risk of tanking in that segment). That left the Shibutanis as the best sole choice for the Dance event, because they had by far the highest scoring Short Dance, and the potential to improve upon mistakes in the FD that had been previously keeping their score lower.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by theharleyquinn View Post
    On the flip side, there was zero chance that Mirai would've been left off the team event
    Dubious. Including Mirai in the team event was a risk compared to Bradie, who was far more reliable. The USFS decided to take that risk and it paid off, but I would hardly say there was no chance of her being left out.

Medalist

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Green View Post
    Dubious. Including Mirai in the team event was a risk compared to Bradie, who was far more reliable. The USFS decided to take that risk and it paid off, but I would hardly say there was no chance of her being left out.
    I think you're underestimating the optics of not having Mirai in the team event. Mirai at least had been to an Olympics before and there was a lot of interest in her getting the superlative of being the first American woman to land a 3A at the Olympics (particularly specific superlative but one that mattered to Americans nonetheless). The team event was a better stage for that and gave her an extra try. Bradie was consistent, but she was also untested. None of the U.S. ladies were in danger of medaling in the ladies event, so you might as well give Mirai the opportunity to become a medalist, especially since so much of her 2018 narrative was being left off the Sochi team. The U.S. also didn't need a swap in dance so badly that there was a reason for Bradie to skate both segments.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345