Sasha Cohen's Journal Updates | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen's Journal Updates

R.D.

Record Breaker
I actually agree with millie here. Cohen out of all the skaters seems to get the most flack (sort of like Hughes did in 2002 and 2003). And out of that you will have the "defenders", giving Cohen the so-called "most protective skater" title. I guess that would be true ONLY because she is the most criticized here. (If she wasn't, she wouldn't "need defending"!) Not a bad thing, really.

The dissenters here can try to put me down as a "Cohen fan" because they think I don't share their opinion with how awful she is, or they think I take it too far, but my opinion will not change. I'm in the middle of the road here. Generally, if you are a fanatic, anything less than lavish praise might be perceived to you as bashing. It works both ways, folks...those who don't really like her will see any non-scathing comment as a compliment and label them "Cohen fan". :sheesh:

Hikaru

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
I actually agree with millie here. Cohen out of all the skaters seems to get the most flack (sort of like Hughes did in 2002 and 2003). And out of that you will have the "defenders", giving Cohen the so-called "most protective skater" title. I guess that would be true ONLY because she is the most criticized here. (If she wasn't, she wouldn't "need defending"!) Not a bad thing, really.

The dissenters here can try to put me down as a "Cohen fan" because they think I don't share their opinion with how awful she is, or they think I take it too far, but my opinion will not change. I'm in the middle of the road here. Generally, if you are a fanatic, anything less than lavish praise might be perceived to you as bashing. It works both ways, folks...those who don't really like her will see any non-scathing comment as a compliment and label them "Cohen fan". :sheesh:

Whoa! I find myself agreeing with millie and Red Dog, all in the same thread :) ! oh, and also with MM, I think we should avoid the "criticism that becomes uninterestingly repetitive". Right on MM :rock: !

gezando

Final Flight
By most protected I mean some some uber Cohen fans smell a Sasha slight at every corner, and this is not SCF. By well protected, I mean one of the mods here is the owner of her message board, you can never convince me that Cohen's interest is not the best protected here. I don't see any other skaters board owners moderating here.

IMO the self appointed defenders are defending imaginery slights

About repetitive: There are a lot of repetitions about other skaters too, grudging about MK's 6.0s, whining about Sarah's OGM, I don't see anyone making a fuss over these old repetitive criticisms. Another thought about repetitive criticism is IMO the skaters tend to repeat the same mistakes, e.g. being over aggressive with no regard of other skaters in practice ice, or falling in competitions / exhibitions or underrotating jumps, or flutzing. How many times have we seen Sarah being nailed repeatedly about the underrotated jumps, her poor posture, and her flutz. Actually Cohen's flutz is bad too, and people have been rather generous about it. So here MM you got something new. Oh but you want original criticism, don't quite understand your criteria for "original" I thought a while back when an uber Cohen fan criticized Jenny Kirk's costume, that was original. I read some fans think Cohen's key hole at the belly button level in her sp dress is tacky, so that qualifies as original? But I think you somehow got it backwards, if the skaters change, e.g. grow some mental toughness, grow some regard towards other skaters in practice ice, fix the posture etc then there won't be any old criticism. So it seems to me, maybe you should be praying to the skategods to help them to get rid of whatever flaws that draw criticism

IMHO Cohen does not catch the most flack, I think Sarah does. Where are the self proclaimed fair and balanced fans? http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8571&page=1&pp=15
I did not see the four of you protecting Sarah. Maybe b/c Sarah has shown a lot of strength of character, and she is the OGM :) Sarah certainly is not a fragile china doll for sure

Last edited:
Gezando said:
I did not see the four of you protecting Sarah.
Maybe we should have been more active. Joe did post a "cut out the bashing" note on that thread (post #81).

On the Sarah Hughes thread, I took a different tack. I hoped to make the meanies feel ashamed of themselves by posting a quote from Sarah saying that immoderate criticism does hurt. Didn't help much.

Anyway, the only thing that the GS moderators agree on is that we would rather err on the side of free speech than try to control the course of debates.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Linny.

Mathman

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
On the moderators...

Mathman said:
Anyway, the only thing that the GS moderators agree on is that we would rather err on the side of free speech than try to control the course of debates.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Linny.

Mathman

I would like to add my kudos to the moderators.

I will add that I am one of those fans of figure skating who is not particularly an "uber fan" or a "non-fan" of anyone. I generally have little to say once the really long gushing OR detracting threads get going. For those folks who have a very strong posture for or against a particular skater, I don't think there is much to say that will change minds. Just my two cents.

DG

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I agree too. I would like to ask what uber means. It seems as if it probably means over the top but still don't know.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
You're right, granny, "uber-fans" are generally over the top and can hear no wrong about their favorite.

Hikaru

Final Flight
Doggygirl said:
I would like to add my kudos to the moderators.

I will add that I am one of those fans of figure skating who is not particularly an "uber fan" or a "non-fan" of anyone. I generally have little to say once the really long gushing OR detracting threads get going. For those folks who have a very strong posture for or against a particular skater, I don't think there is much to say that will change minds. Just my two cents.

DG
ITA with you DG, I don't consider myself either an "uber fan" or "non-fan", and I usually try to stay away when the thread gets heat up by those groups. Couldn't have said it better than you :agree:

Oh, and I concur with the thought that our moderators do a nice job here. Kudos to them!

gezando

Final Flight
Originally Posted by Gezando
I did not see the four of you protecting Sarah

Mathman said:
MM's response. Maybe we should have been more active. .

Mathman

MMM, Mighty MathMan
My apologies for the misunderstanding

I was not referring to the moderators when I said the four of you, I thought that was obvious b/c there are five moderators here. By four of you I was referring to the 3 - 4 posters who stated that they are fair, not particiular fans of any skaters, or they are neither Cohen uber or non fan

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
there's that little gadget known as the "report a thread" if you feel there's been bashing going on.

weither a "sasha fan" is a mod here or not does not mean that Sasha is the most "protected"

I can say that MK is the most loved skater here, but that might not be true. You all are just more vocal than the rest of us (or maybe just me :laugh: ) seriously though. let's get back on topic

Journals are different for different people. I don't know how it's done with Sasha's site, but with Melissa and Denis they email an entry and we put it up.

gezando said:
IMHO Cohen does not catch the most flack, I think Sarah does. Where are the self proclaimed fair and balanced fans? http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8571&page=1&pp=15
I did not see the four of you protecting Sarah. Maybe b/c Sarah has shown a lot of strength of character, and she is the OGM :) Sarah certainly is not a fragile china doll for sure
I will speak formyself and tell you that whenever I say that Sarah doesn't have underrotated jumps, I get bashed, but you are right she and Michael Weiss are the leaders in getting bashed in recent years. I think Michelle Kwan got lots of bashing a few years ago but now she doesn't have a journal or a PR man who continually opens her up to bashing. She's mysterious. Sasha's bashing, imo, is because of her many publicized comments and writings, but in recent times that too has quieted down. In fact there are less bashers in GS now than in the past. There are only a few bashers here now.

Joe

Gezando, oh, sorry, I misunderstood your post.

Now that the thread has come back to the original topic of Sasha's journal, I think the best thing to do is just let Sasha's words speak for themselves, without editorial comment. The first post said:
SkateFan4Life said:
I think the tribute she wrote for Angela Nikodinov and her mother, in her write-up on Nationals, was quite lovely.
Here it is:

"As you can imagine it was a very different Nationals for a lot of reasons. The sadness of Angela losing her mother the day before competition certainly saddened us all. I was glad to see the moment of silence in honor of Mrs. Nikodinov before the ladies program. Angela attended the ladies finals despite a heavy heart. I hope she could feel the skating community wrapping its arms around her. I am glad to hear Angela say she plans to continue skating. She's always been a great competitor and Angela is a special friend to all skaters and is always very supportive. We are a very tight group of athletes who build lifelong friends with each other and our parents. It's our turn to support Angela and Mr. Nikodinov. Mrs. Nikodinov was a wonderful mother and person and we will all miss her.

"I got my new dresses just in time for the short and long program -- in just three weeks, can you believe it?..."

Mathman

taf2002

Rinkside
It surprises me that anyone doubts that Sasha writes her journal most of the time. I have always thought that it sounds just like her. Would a PR person point out that twins have the same birthday or make such a big deal about an ice cream flavor of the month or commit so many grammatical errors? I don't think so.

But I do believe that occasionally someone else does contribute. The piece about Angela was very nice, but it doesn't sound like Sasha's writing style to me. I'm not saying she doesn't feel the sentiment (I have no way to know) but that it was just not her usual style.

I read a lot of online journals whether I'm a fan or not. I think they help us know the person behind the skater to some degree. Some are really interesting-Melissa's & Denis's and Johnny Weir's IMO, and some (that will go nameless) I find pretty silly.

dmr65

On the Ice
I'm kind of jumping in on the last page here, but I like that most here can agree to dis-agree..

Someone mentioned something about more vocal can make a certain skater seem more popular, when in reality, other the could have just as popular dispite their fans not being as vocal.. I also know a lot of big time skating fans, are not fans of the internet... :p

millie

Medalist
Piel "Would a PR person point out that twins have the same birthday"

Not necessarily, twins can have different birthdays: I know of a set of twins born 24 hours difference, one was born on June 10th and the other was born on June 11th. There are some born at 11:59 and the other 12:01, thats different birthdays. There are twins that have been born days apart. So Piel, you and Jessica Simpson got something in common. Probably Jessica knows that information anyway because according to reports she has a very high IQ. Do you always have to be so negative and pick at comments so trivial?