Alena Kostornaia leaves Tutberidze | Page 34 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia leaves Tutberidze

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Yes, I think that the general idea. In case of Aliona because of her status, I don't think it have much of an impact, except maybe that some price money will go to Sambo-70. In other cases it caused problems to the skaters.
I believe Plushenko would very much have preferred for Aliona's transfer to be done properly so he'd get the full state financing for a national team member plus there was something about him hoping for help with ice after he got Sasha. But Aliona will definitely still get personally targeted financing like salary, expenses for travel to competitions, uniform, skates etc. Neither Sahsa nor Aliona will pay the training fee for training at Plushenko's school as such high-profile students are a great investment (presumably some of Plushenko's own resources but definitely sponsorship deals he can organise).

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh ok. I misunderstood. I thought you meant that the letter itself was too ambiguous and could be about whomever was competing at that time.

You’re basically saying that fans took offense that Rusfed wrote that letter, and whether or not it had anything to do with Anna, they might be projecting that negativity onto her.

Exactly (sorry if I sounded short, it's every time early here and I have yet to caffeinate). And in my opinion perception is unfair, not only because the letter did name others but also because RusFed was strong-arming for all the girls (and the US Fed probably earlier for Zhou).

Buy every time I see people talking about the letter and the UR business, here and elsewhere, her name is the one that pops up.

SkateSkates

Medalist
It wasn’t just about them but the inconsistency of the calls at the event - why were Alina and Aliona called for borderline edges and URs but Mariah Bell wasn’t (Kaori was also hammered around IDF). That was the main issue. If you’re harsh on everyone, or lenient on everyone it’s a different story.

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
Alena Kostornaia leaving Eteri

Wrong girl. That letter came after Alina had an "e" call on her lutz, and maybe to a lesser extent Alena with the "!" call. But I believe Alena has had the call before and the fed never did anything, so it leads me to believe that it was about Alina's "e" call.

That letter was mainly motivated for Anna’s quad lutze calls, Rusfed guy even said that in an interview

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
The question I originally addressed was why some fans have taken a dislike to Anna. She was the main offender for URs and the main beneficiary of the ISU beig craven.

Therefore, perception is everything. Please, stop trying to talk logic where emotions and preconception are concerned, it doesn't work.

I don’t think anyone dislikes Anna. People just point out her flawed technique, which will never be addressed by Eteri. Anna is a beautiful, musical, polite, lovely girl and very talented skater, who has many qualities on ice, but that gets many points she doesn’t deserve because of her bad technique. That’s it, no hate, it’s not her fault, it’s the judges’s.

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
It wasn’t just about them but the inconsistency of the calls at the event - why were Alina and Aliona called for borderline edges and URs but Mariah Bell wasn’t (Kaori was also hammered around IDF). That was the main issue. If you’re harsh on everyone, or lenient on everyone it’s a different story.

And that ridiculous time violation deduction that cost Alina 1 point.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I don’t think anyone dislikes Anna. People just point out her flawed technique, which will never be addressed by Eteri. Anna is a beautiful, musical, polite, lovely girl and very talented skater, who has many qualities on ice, but that gets many points she doesn’t deserve because of her bad technique. That’s it, no hate, it’s not her fault, it’s the judges’s.

Yes, calling her a "cheater" is not about "disliking Anna", of course not. Or explaining why "many people dislike Anna". See? Not her technique. Her as a person. Or how is it possible to have endorsements or how does she dare to be elected (together with Alina) by the japanese magazine among the five most beautiful russian ladies. This is pure selective blindness. As well as it is very selective to desperately trying to find anything just to say "she doesn't deserve" many points. There are, for instance, many skaters who prerotate excessively , much more than Anna, though people still rant about Anna and create whole youtube channels just to attack her as a person. Then you come and say "anyone actually dislikes Anna". C'mon.

readernick

Medalist

Yes. Exactly this. Absolutely lovely girl. She seems intelligent, polite, hardworking. People dislike the judging, it isn’t personal.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Perhaps if she is still on paper skating for Sambo then Sambo can demand a portion of any prize money she wins?

I get the impression unless a skater is retiring leaving a coach in Russia is never going to be pleasant. And for what's worth Eteri did not complain about Kostornaia not saying goodbye :)

It was mentioned on the Russian ladies board (don't know how true it is) that Tarakanova came back to figure skating (she supposedly quit the sport when she left Eteri) it was after the transfer window and that was partially why she ended up with Plushenko since his is a private facility.

I hope the Fed learned from the Lipnitskaia fiasco to not attempt to force a coaching relationship. It was rumored that Lipnitskaia had sought to leave Eteri sooner than she did but the Fed stepped in and stopped it. If true, imagine how much fun that was for everyone involved.

The Fed needs to come up with some 'severance option' like a fine the skater pays to cover the cost of the training from the then-former coach, or something that doesn't involve a continued partnership once at least 1 of the parties involved has expressed a desire to not be in a partnership with the other.
Very interesting post Amei.I especially like the part about some kind of severance for the former coach.

On a side note I did not know that Aliona met with EG in person to let her know she was leaving. Someone posted in this thread that that happened. Aliona not only has great skating skills she's got a big heart and guts. But when these kids do that to the coach that took them from nothing to greatness they should have one of their parents with them and I hope that was the case with Alena. I sure hope this controversial shocking and drastic coaching change for AK works out because the main thing I believe we all want is to see her maximize her potential skate in the Olympics and continue to beautify the skating world with her unbelievable skating skills.

gotoschool

Medalist
I think Alena skates very well and it is impressive that she was able to land so many triple axels with difficult transitions into them and she has impressive speed and smoothness in her straight line skating skills. I would say that Anna is more impressive artistically and Alena more impressive in skating skills. but I wasn't aware that this was a place to make posts about Anna being overscored. In regards to this, it is interesting that nobody has addressed the 9+ point rise in scores for Alena in the SP between the French Grand Prix and the NHK, or the overlooked hooked landings on Alena's triple axel or spray off the ice on a triple lutz or the triple salchow that is always marked clean, not to mention a jump in PCS and in step sequence score, and a lutz edge that no longer had a ! with much higher GOE by the time of the NHK, which all happened after the tech memo was issued.

macy

Record Breaker

oh yes, there are people who dislike Anna and a couple on this forum who usually only post if they have an opportunity to insult her or share how much they dislike her. it's like they have a personal grudge against her.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
oh yes, there are people who dislike Anna and a couple on this forum who usually only post if they have an opportunity to insult her or share how much they dislike her. it's like they have a personal grudge against her.

There will always be people that disagree with people on this forum, and people that like different skaters, or don’t prefer the same ones everyone does. When I first started posting I was shocked at the amount of negativity I saw towards Medvedeva. Then it was shifted towards Trusova some.

There is a fanfest section though, and people that post there don’t pose criticism towards their favorite skaters. If people disagree with criticism and critiques, that forum is probably the place to be.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Very interesting post Amei.I especially like the part about some kind of severance for the former coach.

On a side note I did not know that Aliona met with EG in person to let her know she was leaving. Someone posted in this thread that that happened. Aliona not only has great skating skills she's got a big heart and guts. But when these kids do that to the coach that took them from nothing to greatness they should have one of their parents with them and I hope that was the case with Alena. I sure hope this controversial shocking and drastic coaching change for AK works out because the main thing I believe we all want is to see her maximize her potential skate in the Olympics and continue to beautify the skating world with her unbelievable skating skills.
The consensus from various sources seems to be that there was some kind of conflict in the group. Eteri is the opposite of diplomatic in the way she handles things but Alyona is not the best diplomat either. Without this Alyona might have been thinking of leaving but would not have left so drastically, although 3A must have been a factor as well. There are also rumours of her back flaring up again. Hopefully not true, but Daniil also mentioned some sort of health problem. Eteri+back problems is a bad combo, men in her group who develop back issues disappear. If something needs fixing I hope Plushenko fixes it, he got Samoilov back to jumping quads again after he left Eteri planning to retire.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I think Alena skates very well and it is impressive that she was able to land so many triple axels with difficult transitions into them and she has impressive speed and smoothness in her straight line skating skills. I would say that Anna is more impressive artistically and Alena more impressive in skating skills. but I wasn't aware that this was a place to make posts about Anna being overscored. In regards to this, it is interesting that nobody has addressed the 9+ point rise in scores for Alena in the SP between the French Grand Prix and the NHK, or the overlooked hooked landings on Alena's triple axel or spray off the ice on a triple lutz or the triple salchow that is always marked clean, not to mention a jump in PCS and in step sequence score, and a lutz edge that no longer had a ! with much higher GOE by the time of the NHK, which all happened after the tech memo was issued.

But did you also notice that the Axel, Lutz and Flip Toe were all executed at higher quality at NHK? I don’t think it’s debatable, especially the axel and lutz had shaky landings at IDF, where she looked somewhat nervous throughout the program, affecting PCS (which were also low due to her being in the first warmup). It’s not just like the scores went up for no reason - the performance at NHK was better.

Zora

On the Ice
There are, for instance, many skaters who prerotate excessively , much more than Anna, though people still rant about Anna and create whole youtube channels just to attack her as a person. Then you come and say "anyone actually dislikes Anna". C'mon.
Satoko Miyahara for example. And she was criticised a lot here when she was winning against skaters with far less prerotation. Maybe some figure skating fans just prefer good technique, not everything has to be personal.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Satoko Miyahara for example. And she was criticised a lot here when she was winning against skaters with far less prerotation. Maybe some figure skating fans just prefer good technique, not everything has to be personal.

Maybe not everything is personal, but you chose to ignore direct examples that were and quoted only part. As anyone who claims "it ain't personal" do.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Whether one is a personal fan of Anna or not I believe Anna is the most "Eteri-type" skater of the three and it's very good that she is the one that stayed. The others had aspects that would perhaps be better developed elsewhere, although I am by no means certain that the new team is up to it with Alyona. Sasha on the other hand sounds like a great fit for Plushenko and Plushenko obviously adores her.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Every single skater who reaches a certain level of fame gets people who take a dislike to them, whether couched on purely technical/artistic grounds or simple but emotional dislike of the public 'persona'. Same with liking them.

By-product of modern fame, fannish fighting and the fact that we do even if unconsciously believe we know them (Like the people above, I find myself thinking of Anna as probably a lovely person, as I do Alina who is actually and 'personally' hated in some quarters) but none of us really have much to go on to do that but said public persona, which shifts and ripples under the spotlight.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Maybe not everything is personal, but you chose to ignore direct examples that were and quoted only part. As anyone who claims "it ain't personal" do.

:)I apologize. I'm trying with all my might to understand what you mean by these words. I can't do it. Please explain in some way more understandable what your post says.

Status
Not open for further replies.