Rehashing the 2014 and 2018 Oly Team Event | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Rehashing the 2014 and 2018 Oly Team Event

Status
Not open for further replies.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
What is fascinating is going back to live-watch threads for the 2018 team event, both here and elsewhere, and see what nearly everyone thought at the time of Patrick's and Mikhail's scores for what they put out on the ice. It wasn't kind or pretty.

Time does blur the memory, in some cases softening memories...

the competition threads are rarely a place where people praise judges with their scoring ;)

I watched the top 3 again. Adam was the cleanest but his program was much less difficult, without quads.. and we all know how to score big in the LP : bringing out the quads.

Mika definitely tried his best but none of his quad attempts were successful. His performance was also flatter than usual.

Patrick started with two gorgeously landed quads... Yes, he did double his 3a next.. but recuperated his EU 3S combo with brio on the following lutz. the 3a was his most obvious mistake with a fall, then he had a small touch of hand on the 3L... but the flip was gorgeous and again, he added the 2t that was planned elsewhere. Despite the jumping errors, which were not as disastrous as Kolyada's, he stayed in connection with the program. Great spins and sequences.

As for the comments, if you check this link, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASr2NRVut3M you will see so many positive comments about Patrick's skating and performance. Usually, youtube comments are not that friendly and positive...Reading them reminded me that there are places that are very harsh on some skaters... and as a fan of Patrick, I can tell you that GS is not where he gets praised the most... but that's okay ... I deal with it.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
What is fascinating is going back to live-watch threads for the 2018 team event, both here and elsewhere, and see what nearly everyone thought at the time of Patrick's and Mikhail's scores for what they put out on the ice. It wasn't kind or pretty.

Time does blur the memory, in some cases softening memories...

Indeed. :agree:

“There’s lots of evidence - just go out there and find it yourself” is the biggest copout, placing the onus on us to scour the internet for any sources that happen to support your argument. I didn’t ask for a bibliography - I asked for one source (other than yourself, obviously)

It's hardly a cop-out when you continually, exasperatingly pretend that *every* opinion of mine is something nobody else in the world could possibly think. Besides, even if my opinion (or someone else's) was extremely minority or something you haven't heard anyone else say, that still doesn't mean it's incorrect. There are countless times throughout human history where the insightful, pioneering individual is alone in bringing a new viewpoint to the masses.

A cursory look at the 2018 Europeans competition thread on this forum shows many people saying Aliev's LP was better than Kolyada even when he's at his best, and the performance of the event from any man, better than Fernandez.

Here's what you yourself said: "Aliev was the best Russian here, and not just in terms of scores/placements - his programs and skating have a greater level of refinement and expression than Kolyada's." :coffee:

rain

Record Breaker
As for the comments, if you check this link, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASr2NRVut3M you will see so many positive comments about Patrick's skating and performance. Usually, youtube comments are not that friendly and positive...Reading them reminded me that there are places that are very harsh on some skaters... and as a fan of Patrick, I can tell you that GS is not where he gets praised the most... but that's okay ... I deal with it.

As someone else who loves Patrick Chan's skating, I commiserate with you on what a hostile environment this board has been over the years with regards to Chan. I just stopped arguing after a while. Plenty of other skaters have won competitions with falls in their programs (even multiple ones) and I've never seen anyone as reviled for it as Patrick. To this day I love to go back and watch many of his skates, as he is one of the finest skaters in the history of this sport.

But on topic....I didn't think either the Russian win of team gold in 2014 or the Canadian win of team gold in 2018 were remotely controversial. And I predict a runaway victory for Russia whenever we have the next winter Olympics. Their only real deficit is not having a really reliable man (though they do have a couple who could skate very well). Of course, I will be very curious to see if Papadakis/Cizeron choose to compete in the team event at the next Games — I think it really set up Virtue/Moir's gold in the individual in 2018, and certainly got the general viewers cheering for them. I think for many skaters, but the dancers in particular, the team event can be a real advantage to take part in. That could shake things up a bit in dance. And I'll be very curious to see what kind of team China fields, as their recent moves in dance in particular seem to indicate an interest in building a credible team from all four disciplines...though I don't know about what ladies they have in the pipeline.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
My thoughts about the 2014 team event in two parts.

"What, Plushy's still skating?! He must be 100 years old by now!"

After seeing him skate:

"OMG, what a legend. Butts were kicked, names taken."

Good times, good times.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
As someone else who loves Patrick Chan's skating, I commiserate with you on what a hostile environment this board has been over the years with regards to Chan. I just stopped arguing after a while. Plenty of other skaters have won competitions with falls in their programs (even multiple ones) and I've never seen anyone as reviled for it as Patrick.

It's difficult when your favorite is being heavily criticized, but there weren't many skaters winning important competitions with multiple glaring errors, and that's something people are generally always upset about. It's a symptom of the current scoring system and judging for sure, but the frequency with which Patrick did it was...something else. His PCS continuing to skyrocket despite errors and less performance quality and what some consider to be "not great artistry" was a constant problem. He kept beating "more artistic" people who were skating cleaner and with enough tech content (or artistic enough that better cleanliness should win), which is the opposite of what people want to see happening in figure skating.

For me it was very dispiriting to see the scores he was getting during those seasons where he became dominate. I found his "Take Five" program to be just okay (and worse the 2nd season he used it, more stale) and his Phantom of the Opera program rather jumbled and trite. Then there was Aranjuez which just...ugh. He did not relay the depth of that music, and it was unbearable to see the scores trying to tell us this program was the most artistic of all time. Something that made it hard to root for Patrick in general is he seemed to lack soul in his skating. I rarely felt he was out there because it was an internal need to express complex and vulnerable emotions, or to project an uncontainable energy or bring joy.

In the 2012-2013 season he had his best set of programs for that quadrennial, but his technical consistency declined big time, the mistakes were happening all over the place and he was never able to do a clean LP. His win at Worlds for a program with 4 major errors, just felt like a plague on competitive skating. And then finally we come to the 2013-2014 season, where he did a Vivaldi four seasons that was far too vanilla and boxed-in. It highlighted how much less Chan creates interesting, musical, expressive shapes with his body when he skates; speed and deep edges are impressive, but they aren't great artistry on their own. Sorry if this triggers you!

I'll be very curious to see what kind of team China fields, as their recent moves in dance in particular seem to indicate an interest in building a credible team from all four disciplines...though I don't know about what ladies they have in the pipeline.

I think Lin Shan (formerly Ashley Lin, of the USA) is a solid prospect for China in Ladies. I don't see her getting a 3Axel or Quad, but she could be a delightful skater and pull in a respectable score. She has very good body line already and a nice energy to her performance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otDBI9ciBm8

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I think Lin Shan (formerly Ashley Lin, of the USA) is a solid prospect for China in Ladies. I don't see her getting a 3Axel or Quad, but she could be a delightful skater and pull in a respectable score. She has very good body line already and a nice energy to her performance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otDBI9ciBm8

There is Hongyi Chen https://youtu.be/D29i1ym-uBM
She has URs issues but is semi-consistent.
Yi Christy Leung (Hong-Kong) skated at Chinese nats last year i think. So maybe China will give her the nationality https://youtu.be/B3B10zL1dp8

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
My thoughts about the 2014 team event in two parts.

"What, Plushy's still skating?! He must be 100 years old by now!"

After seeing him skate:

"OMG, what a legend. Butts were kicked, names taken."

Good times, good times.

Yes anonymoose, including HIS butt being kicked by Kevin Reynolds in the Teams LP. But heck this was Sochi and anything that could, would happen as in peegate and other tricks. I can still smell the sweat and see the worry of judges Evgenia, Igor and Tatiana in the Men's Teams LP after Kevin's performance and higher technical scores. Oh what to do? Kevin bested Piushy by 8 points in the TES but lost by half a point overall due to inflated PCS. Yes, good times indeed and names taken were Evgenia, Igor and Tatiana.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Sorry if this triggers you!

you know very well it does trigger some of us, yet you never miss a chance to diminish Patrick's skating and achievements. You are entitled to your opinion, but we have heard it... many times. You have been heard!!!!!! Yes. You have been heard. Now, if you really want to build constructive conversation, please change your tune. I am sick and tired of coming to this forum to read yet another attack on Patrick Chan.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
you know very well it does trigger some of us, yet you never miss a chance to diminish patrick's skating and achievements. You are entitled to your opinion, but we have heard it... Many times. You have been heard!!!!!! Yes. you have been heard. Now, if you really want to build constructive conversation, please change your tune. i am sick and tired of coming to this forum to read yet another attack on patrick chan.

Amen!!!

Amei

Record Breaker
Actually Jeremy Abbott was brave as all hell to get up injured and still finish his SP, so I don't want to hear it.

It was a freak accident and everyone wants to keep beating him up over it. Again, bully environment around here, nobody here would have been standing up after that and continuing a decently skated SP. And I don't want to hear that you would because we all damn well know you wouldn't. You'd be too busy whining and trying to get off the ice ASAP.

I don't think it's necessarily to "bully" him but highlight the perceived problem with the Team event, as politely as it can be said Jeremy Abbott, Mikhail Kolyada (whom anyone who reads my post knows I enjoy his skating immensely) are Olympic medalists in spite of their own performances at the Olympics. I understand where that causes annoyance and downright hatred for the team even by some people, especially because it's new, but that happens in team sports, someone performs poorly at the worst time but because they are on a good team they can still win.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don't think it's necessarily to "bully" him but highlight the perceived problem with the Team event, as politely as it can be said Jeremy Abbott, Mikhail Kolyada (whom anyone who reads my post knows I enjoy his skating immensely) are Olympic medalists in spite of their own performances at the Olympics. I understand where that causes annoyance and downright hatred for the team even by some people, especially because it's new, but that happens in team sports, someone performs poorly at the worst time but because they are on a good team they can still win.

If you regularly read this forum, you start to see a pattern of bullying of particular skaters by certain posters. Is it right? No. Is it allowed here? No. Does it happen and slip through and not get dealt with? Yes.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
If you regularly read this forum, you start to see a pattern of bullying of particular skaters by certain posters. Is it right? No. Is it allowed here? No. Does it happen and slip through and not get dealt with? Yes.

And what a shame it is. I love all skaters and am really unhappy about such 'bullying'. Although, to be fair, I've experienced bullying as a child and it's not exactly the same thing. But certain skaters are definitely debunked and described in a negative way. Why? Not necessary, and especially not when a (the) Team event is discussed. I mean, isn't it the thing of a Team Event that the mean counts? So, Patrick did well at the Team Event in 2018 in his Free Skate, period. Just as Evgheny did in 2014. End of story.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
And what a shame it is. I love all skaters and am really unhappy about such 'bullying'. Although, to be fair, I've experienced bullying as a child and it's not exactly the same thing. But certain skaters are definitely debunked and described in a negative way. Why? Not necessary, and especially not when a (the) Team event is discussed. I mean, isn't it the thing of a Team Event that the mean counts? So, Patrick did well at the Team Event in 2018 in his Free Skate, period. Just as Evgheny did in 2014. End of story.

:2thumbs:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Yeah, funny thing that. I'm a Yuzu fan and I've yet to see some of the North American people who decry 'bullying' and bashing of North American skaters raise a peep when the sneering starts - in totally unrelated threads - at him and other selected Asian stars...

Could it be that we are all ultra-sensitive to criticism of our own favourites, and see bashing where to an outsider it wouldn't exist?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, funny thing that. I'm a Yuzu fan and I've yet to see some of the North American people who decry 'bullying' and bashing of North American skaters raise a peep when the sneering starts - in totally unrelated threads - at him and other selected Asian stars...

Could it be that we are all ultra-sensitive to criticism of our own favourites, and see bashing where to an outsider it wouldn't exist?

Why do any of us sneer at all? I'm a Yuzu fan too, but I also admire Patrick. Why does anyone have to be so negative? One might disagree with certain results (points), the fact that falls don't count in all competitions as much as they should, but come on...Patrick was fantastic 2011-2014, and did a good job at the Team event in 2018. I love watching his programmes (and not just his, that's not the issue here). But I also love others. I just don't get the negativism.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

No, not when others who aren't fans of them start to notice the trend. Also, I stand up for any skater who is getting picked on in a thread where I see it. I'm just not as vocal on the board about it as I have become lately, but often it gets reported and dealt with. I'm sorry to see that Yuzu or whoever has gotten that treatment as well in the past or whatnot. I'm saying it is not right to bully any skater.

This thread has degenerated into an exercise in baiting and trolling, contributing little of interest to fans of figure skating. It is now closed for administrative review.

Status
Not open for further replies.