Skaters and higher education: who studied what? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skaters and higher education: who studied what?

icybear

Medalist
Nathan and Vincent, both studying at prestigious US universities (the former in medicine), Yuzuru doing Human Informatics and Cognitive Sciences at the equally prestigious Waseda, Tatsuki Machida's Master's in Sport Management, also at Waseda (I think I read he's now graduated? I'm not sure), and isn't Mikhail Kolyada also at university?

This is, by the way, not at all to denigrate or make light of Alena's ambitions or her high intelligence. But let's not discount the other academically impressive stars we do have.

This "Waseda" uni is as equally prestigious as Yale? Sorry but I've never heard of it and pretty sure most people have never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's not even top 10 in Japan

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Spousal Unit holds a degree from Yale. and lived in the same college as Nathan lives in (that's a big identifier at Yale).

And I for one could care less about arguing about the relative prestigiousness of schools. Or about what people who are not on Golden Skate say. Of course that's just me:biggrin:

Go Yuzu and go Nathan!

I think that there are a number of former skaters who have MBA degrees.

One who comes to mind is Craig Buntin (Meagan Duhamel's first partner), from McGill University. I think he has his own company that develops and markets various techy applications, some involving sports statistics.

Tim Goebel's graduate degree is a "Master of Science in in Business Analytics." I think he still works for Google in data analysis. (He also landed 76 quads during his skating career. :) )

Michelle Kwan has a master's degree in International Law and Diplomacy from the Fletcher School at Tuft's University. (She also has two honorary doctor's degrees, from the University of Southern Vermont and from Salve Regina University.) She wrote her master's thesis on international political implications of the Olympic Games.

Last edited:
Here is an article about a British ice dancer who actually has a PhD in figure skating. That is, her degree from the University of Essex in Sports Science and her dissertation was on aerobics and figure skating.

https://www1.essex.ac.uk/news/event.aspx?e_id=624

Then there is the adult skater (and regional judge) Ellyn Kestnbaum. She got her PhD from the University of Wisconsin in Theater and Drama (theory, criticism and directing). Her PhD dissertation was on the cultural aspects of figure skating, which she then expended into an influential book "Culture on Ice: Figure Skating and Cultural Meaning" (constituting a somewhat neo-feminist critique). Currently she is an editor for the journal of cellular and molecular lung physiology of the American Physiological Society.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...F,BottomLeft,360,-6_SR600,315_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wow. I didn't know such thing existed.

Oh, if my country is any indication people can do a PhD in pretty much anything for which they can find a good area for the original research and that their university can find supervisors for (trawling the list of titles at any university would make your brain hurt, even before reading the abstracts) but the work involved in less mined over fields is to me extra impressive. I give respect.

And working it over for publication... extra respect.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I believe Merryl and Charlie were also working on getting university degrees (don't know whether Bachelor or Master), I think the first in anthropology, the second in Political Science? Don't know anything about the universities involved, and to be honest I don't much care. But that's probably because in The Netherlands all universities have to comply with certain minimum academic standards for the Bachelor's and Master's degrees, while we also have so-called Universities of Applied Sciences that grant Bachelor's and Master's degrees as well but which are less academic in content. 'Academic' just meaning that you have learn't to conduct research according to academic research principles as opposed to any kind of investigation, while the Applied Sciences institutions focus more on practical appliances and understanding of those principles.

In the end it's more important whether you've got your degree at a University (no matter which one) and therefore more of having the mindset of preventing problems occurring (again) or getting your dregree at an Applied Sciences institute where you tend to be more of a problem solver once it has already occurred. Both mind sets are valuable, but it doesn't depend on the university perse.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Former US Ice Dancer Emily Samuelson has a degree from the U of Michigan and works in finance and wealth management now.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Canadian Ice Dancer Paul Poirier has a Bachelors degree from University of Toronto in Linguistics, he's currently a grad student and speaks 4 different languages.

icetug

Medalist
Yuzuru doing Human Informatics and Cognitive Sciences at the equally prestigious Waseda, Tatsuki Machida's Master's in Sport Management, also at Waseda (I think I read he's now graduated? I'm not sure), and isn't Mikhail Kolyada also at university?

Tatsuki completed his master’s degree at Waseda University Graduate School of Sports Science and is continuing his research as a PhD student, also at Waseda.

Mikhail got a master's degree from the Lesgaft National State University of Physical Education, Sport and Health, in June 2018 (so he worked on his master's thesis during the Olympic season).

Koshiro Shimada enrolled to the same faculty at Waseda as Yuzuru, in April this year.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Tatsuki completed his master’s degree at Waseda University Graduate School of Sports Science and is continuing his research as a PhD student, also at Waseda.

I thought I'd read that. Should be a great project.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
This! What's even more impressive is that she went to McGill which is the #1 med school in Canada and consistently ranks in the top 20 in the world. And also has one of the lowest acceptance rates in the world. So, it's kind of a big deal!

Even more, because she decided to pursue her medical studies, because of her mom.
Joannie is simply incredible.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Sanda Dubravcic Simunjak, 1981 Europeans silver medalist and five-time winner of Golden Spin of Zagreb has a university degree in medicine and had been a member of ISU Medical Commission for several years.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I believe Merryl and Charlie were also working on getting university degrees (don't know whether Bachelor or Master), I think the first in anthropology, the second in Political Science? Don't know anything about the universities involved
Meryl and Charlie both attended (are attending still?) the University of Michigan.

Other skaters with/studying for degrees:
Charlène Guignard has a Chemistry degree from the Université de Bretagne Occidentale (University of Western Brittany).
Severin Kiefer is (as per his Instagram) studying Political Science, with a little help from his dog!