Interview with Brian Joubert | Golden Skate

Interview with Brian Joubert

bdreampixie

On the Ice
Thanks for the link! Interesting interview. Joubert is very honest. I thought it funny that he mentions Plushy's ftwk. not being as difficult as it looks, when his own ftwk. is a bit of smoke and mirrors, as well.

76olympics

On the Ice
I liked that interview very much. He seems confident without being big-headed and does seem to realize that he has a big range of possible competition.

He is also easy on the eyes! I did not see the pictures he spoke of (regretfully, it seems, on his part)-but the ones with the article were nice enough! I am twice his age though--so he is safe from me! (I am same age as Brian B)

soogar

Record Breaker
As much as I like Plush, I have a feeling Brian Joubert will win the Olympic Gold medal. He will be the right age and he's a great competitor.

Hikaru

Final Flight
Very nice interview. I've always thought that Brian is very open in his interviews, and he looks very highly of his competitors. He knows his own strenghts and weaknesses. He's overall very nice :)

Bravo to Kathleen Bangs!!! It's so good to read interesting questions that provoke answers, and Bravo to Brian!!! for not trying to duck them.

His replies did not appear to be rehearsed, and I've gotten to like him better off the ice. Many interesting views in that interview. I wish other skaters could also be honest when being interviewed.

Joe

This thread has been split into a Plushenko's Knee Problem thread and the original topic, the Joubert interview posted by Paula.

Joe, ITA that Kathleen Bangs :rock: s as an interviewer. I don't know how she gets these athletes to open up so freely. It must be because she is genuinely inetersted in what they have to say, and that comes across in her interviewing style.

Mathman

Mathman - Thanks for splitting the topics. This interview is so good, I am glad it is not buried with another topic.

If anyone has not read the interview I would suggest you give it a whirl. It really makes Brian a gentleman and a sportsman. Above all, he is open and honest.

There is an art in interviewing. Bangs has got it.

Joe

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thanks for the interview!

He is a very handsome looking guy, and who knows, that might actually become his downfall? About his personality I think that he expresses with words better than the expressiveness he is able to bring into his skating on ice. Of course a lot credit goes to the interviewer, who was able to draw him out.

Crizzy

Rinkside
He is so YUMMY! :love: Those pictures really invoke some oppressed feelings :love: Talk about "Eye Candy" :love:

Kurt's Girl

Rinkside
^^ Lol! That's the first time I've seen any pictures of him, and I had the exact same reaction. :)

That was a wonderful interview, and thanks for posting it. His answeres were all very thoughtful and on the longer side too--a refreshing change from the one sentence answers a lot of athletes seem to give a lot of the time.

Kally H.

Spectator
At first, please forgive my eventual mistakes. I am not the English`s best friend, moreover I`m still studying it as a third language :)

At second, sorry, byt I've never really liked Joubert. Well, he is gentle and always honest, but I find him too confident and frigid - he speaks only about the ratings and about Plushenko... As though for him there is nothing else in the skating. Besides, he just isn't as good-looking as all of the fans think for unexplainable reasons. I respect him for his skills, but that's all.

Anyway, thumbs up for Kathleen Bangs!

And at very last, I don't think Plushenko will permit anyone to steal his title in Turin next year. The age doesn't seem to matter for him, he's just going for the gold. I'm not one of his gone cuckoo lovers, but I have to admit he'll go to any lengths to win these Olympics in spite of his injuries.

Last edited:

brad640

On the Ice
Kally H. said:
At second, sorry, byt I've never really liked Joubert. Well, he is gentle and always honest, but I find him too confident and frigid - he speaks only about the ratings and about Plushenko... As though for him there is nothing else in the skating.

Joubert has very little expression on the ice. I think one of the reasons he was criticized for doing Yagudin-like steps was that Yagudin sold his footwork with great expression and Joubert does it with zero interpretation/passion. Also, I think Elvis did a much better version of 1492. Elvis was criticized for his interpretation, but he was much more exciting and 10 times more original than Joubert.

I would like to know what Joubert says when he is commenting for French television for Plushenko's performances.

brad640 said:
I would like to know what Joubert says when he is commenting for French television for Plushenko's performances.
Oh, the joys of being a dual linguist. One can say onething in one language and not quite the same in the other. :laugh: It's true. Nuances in speech tell a lot more.

From this interview, I like Brian much more on a personal level, but for skating I think he has remarkable talent but not able to sell it more than those quads.

Joe