Banned from Message Board | Golden Skate

Banned from Message Board

Suzy

On the Ice
I recently got banned I guess from this one risque message board. I really enjoyed browing there and posting occasionally, but I guess I insulted someone (after I felt I was insulted first) and now I'm outta there. I really learned a lot from these people.

Is it possible to use a different computer (such as one at work), provide a different e-mail for setup purposes, and a different message board user name?

What is an IP number? They have that on the message board pages and only administrators can access that? Does that tell them if someone is trying to get back in under a different name/e-mail.

P.S. - I even sent an apology but don't know if it will get to them.

Johar

Medalist
An IP number is the Internet Service Provider number, (ISP)which all computers have. Each one is unique, so that is how they can trace banned people trying to log onto forum using different sign-in names or email addys.

I would strongly caution against using your work computer because I don't want you to get fired from web surfing at work ;)

I sent you a PM. Click on Private Messages at the top of the page.

Mathman

Last edited:

Jill

On the Ice
I recently got banned, too! Imagine that! Any-hoo, I joined on my work computer. Do you thing they'll catch on if I rejoin on my home computer??? Just a thought.

Courtneysk8s

Match Penalty
Add me to the list of those who has been banned from a messageboards. I got myself banned from two different boards in the span of about a week. Won't do any board dragging by specifically saying which boards, but lets just say that one was a message board overrun by a rabid group of uberfans who may or may not be the topic of another discussion here at GS. The other board was NOT skater-specific but happened to be moderated by some of the same uber-freaks...I mean uber fans...from the first messageboard. All for saying that three major mistakes in a program was not a particularly spectacular showing :rolleye: But as we all know, uberfans are not capable of being unbiased, nor are they accepting of other opinions. Bah to them! I'll stay here at GS where its okay to be a fan of any skater, and go to FSU to do my snarking!

Suzy

On the Ice
Sometimes it seems that certain posters can say anything they want and get away with it, but the moment a newcomer or whomever says something similar, they get banned. :sheesh:

Anyways, some boards are obviously more hostile than others that's for sure.

Johar

Medalist
I posted at a board over run by a bunch of New York snobs. No offense to New Yorkers on here, but these people formed one hell of a clique and were sarcastic and biting to me when I posted an intelligent comment. Far worse than anything I encountered in high school. They also weren't too nice to outsiders.

Once I was offering to sell some magazines about a hobby we had in common. One of them said "Go get a job! And no, I am not interested!"

A New Yorker offered some of the same magazines on the same page and people were inquiring about it.

A New Yorker lost a pet and there were all sorts of condolences.

A unpopular girl from Colorado posted about losing a pet and someone snapped "This isn't the pet grieving board!"

I figured I could keep posting and be miserable and suffer from lowered self esteem or just leave. I left. These people are never going to accept me no matter what I say or do. You can't make everybody like you in life.

Johar

Medalist
Suzy said:
Sometimes it seems that certain posters can say anything they want and get away with it, but the moment a newcomer or whomever says something similar, they get banned. :sheesh:

Anyways, some boards are obviously more hostile than others that's for sure.

That is so true!! On the message board I mentioned we had a guy say all sorts of snarkey comments. Ex:

poster: I was at a party and this baby boy kept screaming everytime I picked him up or came near him.

snarky guy: How is that different from any other guy reacting to your face?

There was one forum that semi closed after people critized 911 terrorist. Forum owner said it was offensive as some of his clients were arabs, and also seeing "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Hannukah" were upsetting to them.

So some of us formed a new forum. When another poster asked why the old one had been semi closed, I answered about the Christmas/Hannukah comments. Forum #1 owner came over to the new forum, pitched a fit and banned me from the old one for two years. I think I was banned, but my password wouldn't work, etc.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Suzy said:
I think that's true of any board even Goldenskate. I used to have a quote under my avatar "Figure Skaters have feeling too" and I posted something to the effect that during a competition a skater did a poor job. My intention was not to bash the skater but to make a comment on the program they performed. One of the posters here posted you sure don't live up to your quote. So I thought either I was just a mean witch or a dummy because I really didn't understand why the person made that comment, so I changed my quote. :sheesh: :unsure: :confused:

Another time I made a comment that because a skater won Nationals by default wasn't something to brag about. A poster again commented I was being mean and the same person kept saying well, I know what she meant by what she said. I have stayed clear of this poster because as you can see they can read minds. :laugh: :laugh:

I am not a newcomer to Golden Skate, I have been posting for at least a couple of years.

I have many favorite skaters but I have one special skater. The only time I get my dander up is when posters are actually being mean to that skater. By mean, I mean stating untruths, comparisons, or commenting about their physical appearance. I know if I said just one tenth of the things that are said here, I would be in trouble all the time, not just some of the time. :laugh: :laugh:

Always remember, there is a poster on this board who can read minds!!!!

So my point is, there are favorites on boards and there aren't. It's just what you can put up with. I do like all the skating information I get on Golden Skate and I think Paula does a great job on this board. As Paula says, just my 2 cents worth.

Dee